Jon Garland traded for Orlando Cabrera

Steve9347

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 09:14 AM)
I get the feeling Cabrera or Uribe is playing second this year coming...

I don't mind the deal so much honestly, Cabrera can give us what we need, a real #2 hitter. Garland was gone either way soon enough, and as long as the money saved from Garland + the money from the Angels is turned into something else for us, I don't mind.

It would be incredibly silly to sit Richar for a year for Uribe. Danny actually put up a higher OBP, Slug, and consequently OPS than Uribe did last year, and Danny hit .195 in August (his first full month).

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me all this trade does is raise more questions as to how the team will ultimately look. More will happen, this is just a start and I will reserve some judgement until the picture becomes clearer. However I agree with most of the sentiment here, it would've been nice to get more for Garland. It will be interesting to read Williams' comments on this move.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 11:16 AM)
Its business, ethics really dont play a huge part, you are supposed to not be retarded and do your homework.

It still didnt stop Jon from being a horse though, and now our pen better be extremely good, because they are going to get alot of work this year with unproven guys in the rotation.

That's just not true. Any GM will tell you if you ask them that they do their homework, yes, but that you talk about a player's health and let the GM know about anything they're supposed to know. (Like, say, a player has a drug problem? And you don't tell the other team but nobody really knew about it? well, that's a big no-no and happened a few times in the 80s, especially.)

I'm just happy we've got THE ANSWER TO OUR PROBS

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 12:17 PM)
To me all this trade does is raise more questions as to how the team will ultimately look. More will happen, this is just a start and I will reserve some judgement until the picture becomes clearer. However I agree with most of the sentiment here, it would've been nice to get more for Garland. It will be interesting to read Williams' comments on this move.

No no, didn't you know that any trade this team makes is supposed to fill EVERY hole on the team? If we trade for someone, its supposed to be a leadoff centerfielder who is the #5 guy in the pitching rotation that plays second base, and often comes in to setup Jenks or do general bullpen work!!

If this is the only move we make, then sure, we all have things to piss and moan about. But lets wait to see the overall picture here...

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 11:16 AM)
Its business, ethics really dont play a huge part, you are supposed to not be retarded and do your homework.

It still didnt stop Jon from being a horse though, and now our pen better be extremely good, because they are going to get alot of work this year with unproven guys in the rotation.

IIRC, mlb has specific rules regarding reporting a player's physical condition. Plus, as noted, it's a small world and if you screw a couple teams, other teams will stop dealing with you.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 11:16 AM)
Or we could figure that GMs with medical staffs and state of the art technology could check it out. If you buy a used car, you have a mechanic check it out.

Caveat Emptor

I'll bet KW really wished that someone would've proofread his trade a few years ago for that one kid, that's for sure.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 11:19 AM)
No no, didn't you know that any trade this team makes is supposed to fill EVERY hole on the team? If we trade for someone, its supposed to be a leadoff centerfielder who is the #5 guy in the pitching rotation that plays second base, and often comes in to setup Jenks or do general bullpen work!!

Duh, O-cab filled a particular need for an overpaid player coming off a career year and beginning to decline with age. Yes!!!

Ugh....nothing like a team trying to compete for 2008 when they have so many holes. It's pathetic that all we could get for Garland is a 9 mil per year SS with one year left on his deal. I've said this for two years, but if the Sox ever want to rebuild, they must get rid of both Ozzie and KW. The good news is that Hunter seems like a lock to go to the Rangers.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 09:06 AM)
If Kenny deals one more pitcher who gets injured shortly thereafter, he'll deserve to be fired. It's a violation of a cardinal rule among GMs that you're open about things like that and it's a bulls*** thing to do.

That's what physicals are for. Pat Gillick dropped the ball. And Gord Ash conveniently neglected to mention that David Wells was getting cortisone injections in his shoulder prior to almost every start in 2000.

Besides, you seem to think KW is beyond simply making terrible stupid ridiculous laughable decisions.

Yeah, just like you slam him at every opportunity like an angry 10-year-old.

I'm not making excuses for Kenny. I'm just trying to find some possible reason why he'd do this. From what I've seen so far, I can't see why Kenny (or any other GM) would deal a good middle-of-the-rotation pitcher for a one-year stopgap at SS. I remember talk of "stiffness" in Jon's shoulder late this past summer, and am speculating that perhaps that has something to do with it. Otherwise, I may join the Run Kenny Out of Town contingent here.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 11:21 AM)
That's what physicals are for. Pat Gillick dropped the ball. And Gord Ash conveniently neglected to mention that David Wells was getting cortisone injections in his shoulder prior to almost every start in 2000.

Yeah, just like you slam him at every opportunity like an angry 10-year-old.

I'm not making excuses for Kenny. I'm just trying to find some possible reason why he'd do this. From what I've seen so far, I can't see why Kenny (or any other GM) would deal a good middle-of-the-rotation pitcher for a one-year stopgap at SS. I remember talk of "stiffness" in Jon's shoulder late this past summer, and am speculating that perhaps that has something to do with it. Otherwise, I may join the Run Kenny Out of Town contingent here.

Well, I've long believed and stated that something's got to be wrong with Garland, what with his "knot' nonsense but if KW did this trade just because he thinks he's hurt, he deserves to be fired and there'd be serious consequences from the League, if they could prove it. It's just not something you do, however much everyone here wants to justify it as "they should watch out for themselves!" No. That's not what MLB says and that's not what the GMs themselves believe. Sorry to tell you, but most GMs don't like to deal with people who are just out to f*** everyone or DO f*** people with injured players.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 09:21 AM)
Let's not even start the ridiculous conspiracy stuff. Garland is not Sirotka. The stories of his shoulder "knot" have been in the press all year - and they may have contribited to his value level. But that info isn't secret.

Neither was Garland's 8 mph drop-off last year, but that didn't stop Gillick from making a bone-headed decision.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 11:20 AM)
Duh, O-cab filled a particular need for an overpaid player coming off a career year and beginning to decline with age. Yes!!!

Are Cabrera's '07 numbers really all that much better than his '06, '03 or '01 numbers? I don't see a huge difference between his last 2 seasons. I don't see how 2007 was a career year especially since his 2003 OPS+ was 10 points higher than his '07.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 05:22 PM)
Its a crap return for Garland, plain and simple. No one is going to argue that. But I'm pretty sure we all hope to god its the precursor for a real move that was needed to clear money....

I fail to see how we cleared a significant amount of money. If anything, it "frees" money to afford a 5 million dollar utility player.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 11:23 AM)
Well, I've long believed and stated that something's got to be wrong with Garland, what with his "knot' nonsense but if KW did this trade just because he thinks he's hurt, he deserves to be fired and there'd be serious consequences from the League, if they could prove it. It's just not something you do, however much everyone here wants to justify it as "they should watch out for themselves!" No. That's not what MLB says and that's not what the GMs themselves believe. Sorry to tell you, but most GMs don't like to deal with people who are just out to f*** everyone or DO f*** people with injured players.

Thanks for the laugh.