Jon Garland traded for Orlando Cabrera

Steve9347

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WCSox @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 03:39 PM)
LOL, good luck with that, Eck. :lolhitting

pretty much agreed straight up; I doubt he gets it, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him get $7-8 mill a year over 4 years in this ridiculous market. Hopefully some team likes Uribe enough that they'll deal a semi-legitimate prospect for him.

That 'big fish' comment still has me thinking. No, I'm not really thinking about the pun here, but the first two guys I thought about were Crawford and Cabrera.

I brought this up at another board. The Devil Rays were absolutely brutal defensively last season, and one spot where they could use a defensive boost is at shortstop. Brendan Harris is completely overmatched (defensively) and isn't a long term candidate to stay there, and maybe Tampa management would like to get a good glove at SS to help the pitchers out a bit. Would they consider a Uribe + $$$ + prospect for Baldelli deal? I'm just looking at 'buy-low' guys.

And since I'm spitballing here, I really wish we could see more of 2005 Kenny, the guy who didn't bring in 'names' but brought in quality players. Buying low on Baldelli would qualify. Buying low on Luke Scott would qualify. Heck, I'd even accept overpaying (a bit) for a guy who's not the top CFer on the market (though he probably should be) in Andruw Jones -- although I do understand that he is a 'name' player.

Can I dream here?

LF Scott/Baldelli

SS Cabrera

DH Thome

1B Konerko

RF Dye

CF Jones

C Pierzynski

3B Fields

2B Richar

That's a quality group, although with Garland now gone, that bullpen is going to have to be 2005 good. Better hope we get Yabuta.

Hmmm ok. Well I have mixed thoughts right now.

I'm happy I no longer have to see Juan Uribe in the starting lineup ever again. That alone makes me very, very happy. We get an upgrade offensively, adding more OBP to the lineup, and Cabrera should hit in the #2 hole, which would push Fields down to a #6 spot.

I imagine Uribe could be traded to say the Devil Rays. They're desperate for a slick fielding SS, and it would certainly help their defense. He'd be useful as a 1 year stop gap before their SS prospect Breignic (something like that) is ready. So try and get a decent prospect off them, or even try to nab Baldelli possibly?

But now the problem, it leaves a big hole in our rotation. Buehrle, Vazquez, Contreras, Danks and Floyd is not a good rotation from where I'm sitting. 1st 2 guys are fine, Contreras is iffy at best, while the last 2 have question marks written all over them. Do we go out and try and sign a SP now? Do we trade for one? Do we give pitchers such as Egbert, Gonzalez and Broadway and open competition in Spring Training? Still a lot of questions remain.

And I thought Garland was set for a real solid season. But maybe the Sox think that with his shoulder issues, and with him only 1 year from FA, now was the time to get some value for him and fill a need.

Also, do we try to re-sign Cabrera now? He'd be in for a decent contract, especially considering David Eckstein wants Julio Lugo type of $$$.

This trade can be better judged after all the dominoes fall. Right now a GG SS who hit 300, can run and handle the bat plus some financial relief, for a pitcher with a knot in his shoulder making $12 million seems acceptable. I'm pretty confident KW is not going to go into the season expected 200 innings from Danks and/or Floyd, so he will pick up someone, and the couple million saved may be a sweetener for a real CF instead of guys like Jerry Owens.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 03:32 PM)
Hate to say it, but I think the starting rotation is probably set unless either we gamble on a Garcia/Colon/Clement coming off an injury.. I don't think you do this deal as is unless you think Floyd and Danks are taking those last 2 spots and you're still counting on Jose. Because the next option on the list seems to be Broadway and Gio, and I find it hard to believe we're penciling either of those 2 into the rotation yet.

Good post. I'm surprised most didn't see this comming. 90% of us (and damn near most GM's) knew Garland or Contreras was going to be dealt. So that would have left a hole in the rotation anyways. I doubt any of us were expecting another pitcher back in return as far as MLB ready (or even stud spect perhaps a B- but moslty a C+/C- type) It's a damn shame most posters here are down on Danks considering he wasn't even suppose to be up with us last season and showed most here during the first half the man has a s***load of talent. I'm confident he can put up Garland's numbers easily (it might not be this comming season, who knows, but he will be a better pitcher down the road IMHO) Gavin Floyd is the real wildcard here and I won't be surprised to see a veteran signing/trade that can compete with the youngsters or even be in the rotation spot. Jon Garland was nothing more than an average pitcher. It's a damn shame for him he couldn't go to the NL (or the Dodgers in Cali) which possibly would have made him even better.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 03:44 PM)
Hmmm ok. Well I have mixed thoughts right now.

I'm happy I no longer have to see Juan Uribe in the starting lineup ever again. That alone makes me very, very happy. We get an upgrade offensively, adding more OBP to the lineup, and Cabrera should hit in the #2 hole, which would push Fields down to a #6 spot.

I imagine Uribe could be traded to say the Devil Rays. They're desperate for a slick fielding SS, and it would certainly help their defense. He'd be useful as a 1 year stop gap before their SS prospect Breignic (something like that) is ready. So try and get a decent prospect off them, or even try to nab Baldelli possibly?

But now the problem, it leaves a big hole in our rotation. Buehrle, Vazquez, Contreras, Danks and Floyd is not a good rotation from where I'm sitting. 1st 2 guys are fine, Contreras is iffy at best, while the last 2 have question marks written all over them. Do we go out and try and sign a SP now? Do we trade for one? Do we give pitchers such as Egbert, Gonzalez and Broadway and open competition in Spring Training? Still a lot of questions remain.

And I thought Garland was set for a real solid season. But maybe the Sox think that with his shoulder issues, and with him only 1 year from FA, now was the time to get some value for him and fill a need.

Also, do we try to re-sign Cabrera now? He'd be in for a decent contract, especially considering David Eckstein wants Julio Lugo type of $$$.

KW supposedly said he would try to sign Cabrera to an extension.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 03:37 PM)
ok, ive softened on this. I guess talent for talent O cab is a better player, but I really thought that pitching would bring back a better haul. Of course with another signing this may look really great for us. We shall see.

Cabrera is definitely a good short stop and I think he'll be a nice addition to the team. What I am worried about is trading one of our starters when what looks to be our current 3-4-5, looked like this last season. Countreras, at his age, could be about done.

ERA IP H

Countreras 5.57 189 232

Danks 5.50 139 160

Floyd 5.27 70 85

I'm somewhat lukewarm about the deal but I don't understand why people would bash it the way they are and this is coming from one of the biggest Kenny Williams haters out there. Garland is an above average starter and Cabrera is an above average SS. We traded from a position where we have some strength and patched up arguably the biggest hole on the team. Seems like a net positive - though perhaps a very small one - to me.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 03:38 PM)
Based on who they gave tryouts to last year, I think what's most likely to happen is that we'll just start off with MB, JV, Contreras, Danks, Floyd as the starting 5. And on top of that, they'll start off with Egbert, Gio, Haeger, Broadway, and Sisco in AAA. And for the last 3 in the big leagues, each one of them gets put on a short leash, where if they struggle for a month, they're bullpen material and one of the other guys (Broadway probably first in line) comes up & gets a shot. That's my reading of how the tryouts last year went.

I could also see Jack in a swingman role.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 03:34 PM)
Hes also a great leader and clubhouse guy and brings energy to the field which was lacking last season. Most angels fans are upset about losing his character, and rightfully so.

Also, in addition to the stolen bases he'll bring, he's one of the best baserunners in the game independent of that. Bill James has started tabulating a stat to track all things baserunning that are NOT steals and caught stealings. For 2006 James ranked him #4 in all of baseball behind Figgins, Utley, and Mark Ellis- ahead of folks like Beltran, Reyes, HanRam, Damon, Sizemore, Pods, C Paterson. I believe I saw that he was ranked up there again for 2007.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 03:37 PM)
ok, ive softened on this.

Excellent. Glad some people here who don't mind the trade are convincing you considering I like the trade myself. Now if we can get the other 80% of people here to stop overreating were gonna be in good shape. :lol:

In all honesty, I'm surprised the Angels boards hate the deal even though they are filling up a strength. Garland will be a very good 4th-5th starter for them and this almost means E. Santana is basically gone. They can get a real sexy package up to land Miguel Cabrera.

Cabrera is a plus over Uribe, and that plus will be on the field for 132 more games than Jon. So I'm starting to feel a bit better, but damn it sucks to see Jon go. Shall we start taking bets on who will be the Kevin Butler of the 2005 Sox?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 01:58 PM)
Cabrera is a plus over Uribe, and that plus will be on the field for 132 more games than Jon. So I'm starting to feel a bit better, but damn it sucks to see Jon go. Shall we start taking bets on who will be the Kevin Butler of the 2005 Sox?

Kevin Butler? The Kicker?

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 03:51 PM)
Also, in addition to the stolen bases he'll bring, he's one of the best baserunners in the game independent of that. Bill James has started tabulating a stat to track all things baserunning that are NOT steals and caught stealings. For 2006 James ranked him #4 in all of baseball behind Figgins, Utley, and Mark Ellis- ahead of folks like Beltran, Reyes, HanRam, Damon, Sizemore, Pods, C Paterson. I believe I saw that he was ranked up there again for 2007.

You're s***ting me.

With "anoher deal imminent," being reported and Uribe possibly being shopped what are we going to see? I see us opening more holes, but Hunter in CF would be nice, but I like A-Row also. Uribe would be a real good super sub, but at $4.5M that probably won't happen. I don't see him as a 2B option either and it doesn't sound like KW does either and that's what counts obviously. Richar seems to be the leading candidate to stay at 2B. I see Crede or Fields as possible trade chips and we need help in the bullpen. Could that come from Japan? The move for Cabrera opens up more questions. I don't have a problem with Cabrera, but wish it was Contreras was the one that went in the deal and not Jon. Is Contreras still a trade option for the Sox?