Jon Garland traded for Orlando Cabrera

Steve9347

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

according to Cabrera, Richar is going to be special...

Cabrera also is considered a strong clubhouse presence, providing general manager Ken Williams with a portion of that intangible edge for 2008 that he thought was missing last year. Cabrera's veteran influence already was evident during Tuesday's call, when asked about working with and tutoring a young second baseman such as Danny Richar.

"I saw him when we went to Chicago in September, and this kid is going to be special," said Cabrera, who pointed to Richar's tremendous power and speed as key traits. "I saw a couple of double plays and the way he moves, and he's going to be great.

"I'm looking forward to working with him and showing him all the things he needs to learn and accomplish in games and during the season to get better every day," Cabrera added.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=cws

QUOTE(BearSox @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 07:58 PM)

Glad he's speaking highly of Danny. I think the kid's going to be good also. It'll be good to stick another MI next to him for a year, and might keep the team from doing something silly like considering Richar to be a platoon guy.

Not that I disagree, but when reporters ask questions like this about feloow teammates, is there really any other answer?

Can we still get Miguel? Any chance Kenny Lands Melky for center of we lose out on Hunter? I wonder if KW is still interested in Daniel Cabrera.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 01:40 PM)
Its seems the "big fish" comment from Kenny, was acutally right after being asked about Miguel Cabrera, if you read the context of the interview the way that the USA today has it written up. They ask him if they realize that they might have helped the Angels get Cabrera, then Kenny talks about landing the big fish. Really interesting to say the least. Could the Hunter stuff be a smoke screen to swoop in and get MCab?

MCab is the heaviest Marlin at 240, tied with Kevin Gregg, so there is a good chance he meant one of them.

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/team/roster...ve.jsp?c_id=fla

With all the rumors about Hunter, it is hard to imagine the Sox getting him. KW always works under the radar.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 04:58 AM)
MCab is the heaviest Marlin at 240, tied with Kevin Gregg, so there is a good chance he meant one of them.

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/team/roster...ve.jsp?c_id=fla

With all the rumors about Hunter, it is hard to imagine the Sox getting him. KW always works under the radar.

this was absolutely hysterical.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 05:04 AM)
It does help that

a. Cabrera was brought in to be the starter on a different team

b. Richar plays a different position

Well of course, but he still seemed pretty enthusiastic about it, which is encouraging. He could have said, you can bring in anyone to play second and I'll be fine. That could have been acceptable, but not so warm and fuzzy.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 10:49 PM)
I believe Cabrera speaks spanish also even though his english speaking is also very good. That will also help Richar for communication purposes on the field. Richar-Cabrera combo should be quite good this season and I am very high on Richar as well.

LOL, i believe that is his native language

Cabrera, who won a Gold Glove Award this season with the Angels, just returned from his honeymoon.

"My wife and I were surprised," he said. "We're really happy and excited.

"I really, really, really take this news with a lot of joy. We're looking forward to coming to the City of Chicago."

He seems really excited.

QUOTE(JoshPR @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 10:13 AM)
I like the Cabrera Trade. Very Good #2 hitter and dependable with the glove. Sould help Fields out and Richar.

Hi guys, Long time no see

Whats up kid. Long time no see. Good to see you on. Dont be such a stranger.

QUOTE(JoeBatterz @ Nov 22, 2007 -> 02:22 AM)
Awful Trade for the Sox!

Why?

Garland was gone after 2008 anyway. Cabrera is a nice upgrade on offense, has better range on defense with less of a gun compared to Uribe. The savings also allowed the Sox to sign Linebrink without increasing the payroll.

VORP:

Cabrera 31.7

Garland 26.6

WinShares:

Cabrera 25

Garland 13

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Nov 22, 2007 -> 11:49 AM)
Why?

Garland was gone after 2008 anyway. Cabrera is a nice upgrade on offense, has better range on defense with less of a gun compared to Uribe. The savings also allowed the Sox to sign Linebrink without increasing the payroll.

VORP:

Cabrera 31.7

Garland 26.6

WinShares:

Cabrera 25

Garland 13

So is Cabrera.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Nov 23, 2007 -> 11:58 AM)
So is Cabrera.

The Sox plan to resign him; that would be perfectly fine. However, even if he is gone, he'll almost assuredly be a Type A free agent, which nets a team's first rounder (or 2nd rounder if the team sucked) along with a another 1st rounder; Garland was never going to give the Sox that.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 05:34 PM)
the thing that still gripes me about this deal is how we couldn't get a leadoff hitter.

Agreed, especially when we made a trade with a team with Figgins & Willits. Disappointing we could not get one of those guys as part of the deal. Willits will now not start with an outfield of Matthews Jr., Hunter, Guerrero with Anderson DH'ing. Hopefully more to come.

QUOTE(Ozzie's Accent @ Nov 24, 2007 -> 07:43 AM)
Agreed, especially when we made a trade with a team with Figgins & Willits. Disappointing we could not get one of those guys as part of the deal. Willits will now not start with an outfield of Matthews Jr., Hunter, Guerrero with Anderson DH'ing. Hopefully more to come.
Thats all dependent on what happens with Matthews.