Jon Garland traded for Orlando Cabrera

Steve9347

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 11:23 AM)
Well, I've long believed and stated that something's got to be wrong with Garland, what with his "knot' nonsense but if KW did this trade just because he thinks he's hurt, he deserves to be fired and there'd be serious consequences from the League, if they could prove it. It's just not something you do, however much everyone here wants to justify it as "they should watch out for themselves!" No. That's not what MLB says and that's not what the GMs themselves believe. Sorry to tell you, but most GMs don't like to deal with people who are just out to f*** everyone or DO f*** people with injured players.

Yes you shouldnt knowingly f*** someone over, thats basic business ethics. But also everyone is out to make good for themselves over everyone else. You'll see for yourself if you ever go into the business world. Repeat business can still be achieved while winning a deal.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 09:23 AM)
Well, I've long believed and stated that something's got to be wrong with Garland, what with his "knot' nonsense but if KW did this trade just because he thinks he's hurt, he deserves to be fired and there'd be serious consequences from the League, if they could prove it. It's just not something you do, however much everyone here wants to justify it as "they should watch out for themselves!" No. That's not what MLB says and that's not what the GMs themselves believe. Sorry to tell you, but most GMs don't like to deal with people who are just out to f*** everyone or DO f*** people with injured players.

So you agree that Gord Ash was under-handed for not disclosing Wells' cortisone injections before trading him to the Sox?

Kenny could win a World Series with the Sox this year and you'd still want him fired. You really need to change up your shtick.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 12:23 PM)
I actually like Orlando Cabrera, and if this means Uribe plays the utility role by either playing 2b against lefties or a defensive replacement at 3rd base, that's fine with me.

Yeah, the addition of Cabrera isn't a bad thing. Its only a question of the amount of return for Garland.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 11:24 AM)
Thanks for the laugh.

I'm just saying -- the League itself doesn't want people trading what they know are used-goods and GMs don't, either. I don't see why that's funny.

Joe Cowley's going to be happy tonight. Now that Garland's gone.

Does this move make us better at all?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 11:25 AM)
Yeah, the addition of Cabrera isn't a bad thing. Its only a question of the amount of return for Garland.

Correct. I would have loved O-cab if it involved trading less proven commodities. The return seems terrible, but then again, Angels fans feel the same way.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 11:25 AM)
Yes you shouldnt knowingly f*** someone over, thats basic business ethics. But also everyone is out to make good for themselves over everyone else. You'll see for yourself if you ever go into the business world. Repeat business can still be achieved while winning a deal.

There is a difference between winning a deal and f***ing someone over. Be in business for 25 years and you will see it for yourself. There is this animal called a win-win.

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 10:25 AM)
I will miss Jon too...

but why is everyone acting like Cabrera is some hack?

He is a Gold Glove SS, that is a very good hitter.

I will like this deal if we resign him and use this money in other areas too.

Same here. A nice upgrade at SS. And if we do sign Hunter, much stronger defensively up the middle.

I'm not going to judge this move just yet like most of you are doing. Cabrera is a hell of a shortstop and will make our lineup much better. It sucks we lose a very solid pitcher in Garland, but lets face it they wouldn't be able to sign him after 2008. I think re-signing Cabrera is much more realistic than re-signing Garland. KW has a plan and this is the first move to his plan... this shows us that he isn't sitting on his hands like he did last offseason which is good. this team still needs a leadoff hitter, CF, LF and bullpen help.. perhaps another SP now. Lets wait and see what happens.

As of right now:

1B Konerko

2B Richar/Uribe? I think Uribe will likely be deal now.

SS Cabrera

3B Crede/Fields? Crede will likely be dealt next.

LF Owens (I doubt it...)

CF ???? (FA: Rowand most likely)

RF Dye

C Pierzynski

Yep this is the start of it all... Keep heating up that HOT STOVE!

QUOTE(WCSox @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 11:25 AM)
So you agree that Gord Ash was under-handed for not disclosing Wells' cortisone injections before trading him to the Sox?

Kenny could win a World Series with the Sox this year and you'd still want him fired. You really need to change up your shtick.

Yeah, Ash was underhanded if he didn't disclose that.

And yes, I think I'd still want KW fired if we won the World Series this year, but it would depend on what happened, why and when and how. What moves did we make? What moves did others make? Were we a Cardinals World Series winner or a "real" world Series winner looking to contend again?

I'll tell you what -- if KW wins another World Series this year, I'll never say another critical word.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 11:27 AM)
There is a difference between winning a deal and f***ing someone over. Be in business for 25 years and you will see it for yourself. There is this animal called a win-win.

I know it. But even in a win-win, someone is giving money to someone else, and someone if making money on that price. It may be a win-win overall, but overall, im making money.

QUOTE(BigEdWalsh @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 11:27 AM)
Same here. A nice upgrade at SS. And if we do sign Hunter, much stronger defensively up the middle.

Up the middle includes the guy who is most in the middle, the pitcher. I agree in principle, up the middle is the most important and this is an upgrade 132 games per year.

I'm also very suprised so many people here are dissing the deal. I think OCab, as he will now be known around here, is a good player and a SIGNIFICANT upgrade over Uribe. Uribe moving back to his original role in 2004 of Utility INF might be best for him. I hope they can trade him somehow though and get that 4.5 million off the books, but I'm not sure how quickly you can trade guys who you just resigned.

This really P**#** me off!! I cant believe this! Cabrera could've helped us and garland is average, as if adenhart couldn't duplicate if not surpass him. I cant believe this im really P*#&*# OFF!

What is this organizations fascination with garland???? I've heard rumors about him for about 4 years NOW and now we have him uggh. Incredible...we make another hole while adding mediocrity to a strength. Oc was our field general, great baserunner, humorous influence in the clubhouse, and solid number 2 hitter..... good lord WHY WHY WHYYYYYYYy

Angels board again.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 05:28 PM)
As has been stated b4... if this is not a prelude to something else...then this in itself is a terrible deal. I always wonder how KW seems to get less for SP than any other club does....

I fail to see how this deal can possibly set up any other trades for the Sox.