Jon Garland traded for Orlando Cabrera

Steve9347

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could be wrong about Cabrera netting two draft picks. Apparenty a poster at SSS said shortstops are grouped with third-basemen and second-basemen -- is this true? In any case I still think the chances are pretty good that -- barring Cabrera falling off the table next season -- Cabrera will be type-A.

and considering that this offseason is FAAAAR from over i'd say at this point we just have to wait and see what else happens.

Yes, how true is this.

We have to remember a whole bunch of people here were convinced Uribe was the 2008 starter at SS when they picked up the option.

Things have a way of changing and it seems with the White Sox, moves come as a surprise.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 12:33 PM)
I could be wrong about Cabrera netting two draft picks. Apparenty a poster at SSS said shortstops are grouped with third-basemen and second-basemen -- is this true? In any case I still think the chances are pretty good that -- barring Cabrera falling off the table next season -- Cabrera will be type-A.

It is true that he's in that group, but he should still net Type A compensation if the Sox offer arbitration.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 01:33 PM)

They are, but Cabrera's pretty solidly in the A group:

1 Michael Young 89.286 A

2 Miguel Tejada 87.500 A

3 Robinson Cano 85.714 A

4 Derek Jeter 85.119 A

5 Mike Lowell 84.857 A

6 Alex Rodriguez 84.000 A

7 Placido Polanco 81.746 A

8 Brian Roberts 80.159 A

9 Orlando Cabrera 79.464 A

10 Jhonny Peralta 77.381 A

11 Adrian Beltre 76.000 A

12 Carlos Guillen 74.405 A

13 Troy Glaus 74.286 A

14 Melvin Mora 73.714 A

15 Casey Blake 72.571 B

Lol at those.

QUOTE(wilmot825 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 06:33 PM)
I think that the recent trade of Jon Garland for Orlando Cabrera is a set-up for a bigger trade. Kenny Knows something we don't and I bet this trade is going to be better in the coming weeks.

Kenny just said "Were not done... were still after some big fish". Its not over for sure... can we get another Cabrera? Sign Hunter? Maybe Crawford... okay well i doubt the last one haha. Heat up the hot stove..this offseason will be more active than the pre-2005 season.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 12:33 PM)

They are all grouped together and even with that he was still easily ranked as a Type A this year finishing with a 79.464 rating from the ESB, the highest Type B was a 72.571. If he puts up numbers next year that are comparable to '06 then he's pretty much a lock to be a Type A.

Am I the only who think the sox will make a strong push towards re-signing Cabrera before hits free agency? With so few options at SS in the minors, locking Cabrera up for a few years makes sense rather than settling for picks. Though the sox would at least get picks in the event they can't sign him to a deal.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 06:38 PM)
Am I the only who think the sox will make a strong push towards re-signing Cabrera before hits free agency? With so few options at SS in the minors, locking Cabrera up for a few years makes sense rather than settling for picks. Though the sox would at least get picks in the event they can't sign him to a deal.

Unfortunately -- and I stress 'unfortunately' -- I'd guess this is the route they go. After all, the Sox have who, exactly, who could replace Cabrera in 2009?

It sucks, too, as I'd much rather have the two top 100 picks than Cabera's mid-30s seasons.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 12:38 PM)

Yes, I would think that makes the most sense.

I object to Garland as being mediocre. I wish I could find a link, but it is not like half the pitchers have winning and half have losing records. IIRC less than 33% of mlb starting pitchers have career winning records. I wish I could find the number.

QUOTE(RX Bandits @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 09:58 AM)
for all that do not like this deal:

Name a pitcher the white sox have been wrong about the last 20 years (ala traded away or didnt resign and amounted to something)? Besides Navaro, this team has not been burned.

Fernandez, McDowell, David Wells, Colon, Bradford, Foulke, Howry----- need I go on?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 12:41 PM)
I object to Garland as being mediocre. I wish I could find a link, but it is not like half the pitchers have winning and half have losing records. IIRC less than 33% of mlb starting pitchers have career winning records. I wish I could find the number.

He's a league average starting pitcher. That makes him better than "mediocre" but at the same time nothing special.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 10:02 AM)
Then find a new hobby, or new team at least.

Like it or not, this is how Williams and the Sox operate. They have since 2001, and will continue to do so. Williams will not "rebuild" like so many want. It just will not happen under his watch, right or wrong. I don't know how to make that more clear.

So deal with it. Accept the fact that deals trading away veteran players for prospects are going to be few and far between, and accept the fact this club is going to have a large payroll, with a veteran core. They are the facts, and they don't look like they are going to change in the near future. If you can't deal with it, I suggest you find something else to do with your team, because your not doing anyone any favors by posting the same negative, over reactions again and again.

Just stop.

Get over YOURSELF. If one doesn't like the way this team operates, they don't have to accept it. AT ALL. KW, for all the good he's done, makes mistakes. what's wrong with disagreeing with him? Also, isn't second-guessing part of sports.

also, if one were to blindly believe everything a GM does, then we'd sure have a boring message board. And we don't want that, right?

USS Mariner:

Good news for the Mariners today - the Angels have voluntarily made their team worse, sending SS Orlando Cabrera to the White Sox for RHP Jon Garland.

Despite his reputation, Garland is just a generic #4 starter. I’m not sure there’s a team in the AL that needed Jon Garland less than the Angels, who already have a quality rotation and some good young arms in the upper levels of their farm system. Meanwhile, the Angels don’t have any obvious candiates to replace Cabrera at shortstop - Erick Aybar is probably the frontrunner, but that’s a pretty big downgrade for a LAA offense that already had problems scoring runs at times.

This is a nice move by Kenny Williams, giving his team a legitimate major league shortstop and selling high on Garland, who should be easily replaced by any one of the number of decent backend starters the White Sox didn’t have room for before this deal.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 19, 2007 -> 06:40 PM)
Unfortunately -- and I stress 'unfortunately' -- I'd guess this is the route they go. After all, the Sox have who, exactly, who could replace Cabrera in 2009?

It sucks, too, as I'd much rather have the two top 100 picks than Cabera's mid-30s seasons.

It beats trying to sign a 50 yr old Vizquel :D