striker

99 members have voted

1. 1. Rowand, A. Jones or Hunter?

• Rowand
    • A. Jones
    • Hunter
    • Crisp
    • Owens (use the extra money elsewhere)

Very tough call. Hunter too much money and years for his age but the most consistent year in and year out. Jones was a true superstar coming off a down year. Boras client but might be had for a 3 year contract with incentives. Only 30 but speculation has him an old 30. Rowand's a fan favorite but too expensive considering he's coming off a career year and hasn't put together consecutive good years. Crisp possibly least expensive of all (besides Owens ).Hampered by injuries last few years upside not as good as the previous 3.

I'd go with Jones followed by Hunter a very close second.

Worst case scenario is none of the 4 become a White Sox.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 05:51 PM)
I thought he said that he wouldn't do it unless he had no other options, not that he wouldn't do it at all -- am I misremembering?

Boras can swear and affirm and stomp and bellow that he won't sign a one-year deal. If Andruw isn't getting paid on a multi-year deal, he'll do a one-year. Or, like Keith said, something with an opt-out (although I'd bet on the one-year, just because of age).

IIRC Boras said Jones wouldn't sign a 1 or 2 year deal.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 08:59 PM)
IIRC Boras said Jones wouldn't sign a 1 or 2 year deal.

Eh...I don't think they've quite said that he under no condition will sign a short-term deal. Not that I'd believe him even if he said it, but he's been a little more mealy-mouthed than that, it seems. What I've read is more like this:

Free agent center fielder Andruw Jones has told some of his friends that he'll only take a one-year deal if it's his last option. His agent Scott Boras says that won't be an option.

Link. And this:

Despite Andruw Jones' struggles, agent Scott Boras said Tuesday that he does not expect Jones to sign a one-year contract in an effort to rehabilitate his numbers and file for free agency again next winter.

Link. Not ruling it out, exactly -- just saying (as loudly as possible) that it'll never come to that.

Hunter for CF.

Crisp for LF.

"That's my dream scenario. "

And that's why most dreams do not come true. I think Jones would put up MONSTER numbers in the cell. Linebrink posted a 3.71 ERA, I see him putting up an ERA around 4.20 next season given the dimensions of the CELL and the addition of the DH to the batters that he faces.

I can see Jones putting up 40, 100 no problem given how HUGE atlanta's ball park is.

Edited by DonnyDevito

QUOTE(WCSox @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 07:11 PM)
Did you see Jones back in the late '90s? He's put on 40 lbs. since then and, even if it's still "above average" in CF, his defense has regressed big-time. No way that I want that guy for the next 7 or 8 years, especially when Borass is going to want a salary that matches what Jones did years ago, rather than how he'll perform on the wrong side of 30.

I don't recall where, but I read where Jones actually lost a bunch of weight this past offseason and his range in center improved. However, that loss in weight also had a big impact on his struggles at the plate as well.

I think in prior years he had been pretty bad defensively, but this past season he was very good again, perhaps to the gold glove standards he deserved.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 23, 2007 -> 12:31 PM)
I don't recall where, but I read where Jones actually lost a bunch of weight this past offseason and his range in center improved. However, that loss in weight also had a big impact on his struggles at the plate as well.

I think in prior years he had been pretty bad defensively, but this past season he was very good again, perhaps to the gold glove standards he deserved.

There are still concerns about his body, and would you want to give a guy a boatful of money when the only time he gets in shape is during the year his contract is up?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 23, 2007 -> 12:55 PM)
There are still concerns about his body, and would you want to give a guy a boatful of money when the only time he gets in shape is during the year his contract is up?

That's absolutely exaggerating the issue. He put up huge seasons in 05' and 06' and still was one of the best defensive cf's in baseball. Say what you want about his body, but the guy has been a very solid player throughout his career.

Should we not want MCab if all we are concerned about is a player's body?

For that price you get more than the angels got, imo.

you're right. jones brings gold glove defense plus he always brings the big bat to the plate. Jones would/will have a field day at the CELL. bat him 6th...and forget about it! especially, if Paulie rebounds with a solid year.

I'd rather base my decision on what helps us win more games than who is complaining. Besides, just as many people will complain about rowand if he has a down year.

Anyone have win shares stats or something relevant comparing the two?

Edited by max power

Then when we sign Jones, a lot of you guys who are saying you want him the most will be complaining when Jones is jacking some HRs and striking out all the time like a lot of the batters currently on the Sox. I'lll take Rowand.

the difference is rowand doesn't have the gold gloves and acts crazy in CF leading to multiple injuries a year. Plus, Rowand doesn't have the track record that Jones does offensively. I'll be happy with either but some sox fans still have a man crush on the former White Sox. Not saying you do, but some do. Plus Jones has more All Star appearances.

QUOTE(soxfan3530 @ Nov 25, 2007 -> 04:39 PM)
Then when we sign Jones, a lot of you guys who are saying you want him the most will be complaining when Jones is jacking some HRs and striking out all the time like a lot of the batters currently on the Sox. I'lll take Rowand.

Over the past 3 years Andruw Jones has struck out once every 4.57 AB and Rowand over that same time period has struckout every 5.12 AB. Yeah, there's a HUGE difference.

At least during that time Jones managed to hit a HR once every 14.6 ABs which is nearly twice as often as Rowand. (30.7)

But what about walks you say? Jones has drawn one once every 7.98 ABs while Rowand has gotten a free pass only once every 16.44 ABs.

If I have a choice between Andruw Jones and Aaron Rowand and the money is similar I take the hall of famer and superior player in Jones.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 25, 2007 -> 07:37 PM)
Over the past 3 years Andruw Jones has struck out once every 4.57 AB and Rowand over that same time period has struckout every 5.12 AB. Yeah, there's a HUGE difference.

At least during that time Jones managed to hit a HR once every 14.6 ABs which is nearly twice as often as Rowand. (30.7)

But what about walks you say? Jones has drawn one once every 7.98 ABs while Rowand has gotten a free pass only once every 16.44 ABs.

If I have a choice between Andruw Jones and Aaron Rowand and the money is similar I take the hall of famer and superior player in Jones.

Oh hell...sign them both.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 25, 2007 -> 07:37 PM)

That is the point though. I dont think he will be in in similar price range at all. I would rather take Rowand, save some money that we could spend elsewhere (if we plan on making other moves after that). Jones is a very good player but i just think we depend on the long ball too much as is. Jones would just add to that.

QUOTE(soxfan3530 @ Nov 25, 2007 -> 09:10 PM)
That is the point though. I dont think he will be in in similar price range at all. I would rather take Rowand, save some money that we could spend elsewhere (if we plan on making other moves after that). Jones is a very good player but i just think we depend on the long ball too much as is. Jones would just add to that.

If you take Rowand, you are very likely making a long-term commitment as well. With Andruw Jones, there's a good possibility that he'll become a free agent again after a year or two (unless someone is dumb enough to give him 5+ years)

QUOTE(soxfan3530 @ Nov 25, 2007 -> 09:10 PM)

Aside from a slight edge in batting average what has Aaron Rowand proven he can do better than Andruw Jones offensively? I'd say doubles and triples are a wash while Andruw Jones is a much more prolific HR hitter and draws a s*** load more walks. Aaron Rowand doesn't really steal bases anymore so I don't see that as a win for him either. Even if the Sox are too HR reliant adding Aaron Rowand to the mix isn't going to help matters, at least Jones will bring walks to the table and while the team will still be HR reliant at least they'll hit them a little more often with a huge power hitter like Jones manning CF. And with the Dodgers going hard after Rowand I don't think there will be a big difference in $$$ when the two CF sign.

if you put aside Rowand's contributions to the WORLD CHAMPION 2005 WHITE SOX (i know it is hard to do) the only thing rowand has over jones is his youth. i would love to see rowand back but he just had a career year in philly and is looking to make MONSTER dollars. this next contract is going to be the biggest one of his career.

Since Hunter is gone now, I would prefer just to go into the season with Owens and try to find something else in ST. Crisp is just too inconsistent. It seems the only time that he can hit well is agains the Sox. Jones would be my second choice, he is young, might sign a short deal, and has above average speed, plus power and is an above average defensive player. Rowand isnt worth what he is asking and would put the Sox in a bad position down the road with a long term contract.