Professional Resume

Bmr31

It has been several years since I have needed or created a resume. My background is in retail management and i need to create a professional resume. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have search and found sites that will charge me $150 and i have found free sites with create your own resume. Does anyone feel they are an expert in this area, and can offer me a recommendation on what to do? Your assistance is much apprciated!

Well, I don't know jack about writing a resume but I'm going to my college on the 7th of July and when I'm there I'll ask the counselor if they have some info on resumes which I could pass onto you (Mainly the format).

I think the key is just to have the proper format and you fill in the rest. I have a resume that I use, but I wouldn't recommend it since I have no idea whether its right or wrong.

Remember the rule of thumb that resumees must be no longer than one page long.  Also, MS Word 2000 has a great resumee wizzard you might wanna check out.

The one page rule works if your applying for a lower level position. Two pages will not be the kiss of death. Don't not put something on teh resume because you will go to page two.

Consider going to a temp agency that also does executive recruitment and let them know you would like to temp (even if you don't want to). they have excellent resume resources. And if you are using Microsoft Office log onto the office site, they have some good templates that people have uploaded.

Remember the rule of thumb that resumees must be no longer than one page long.  Also, MS Word 2000 has a great resumee wizzard you might wanna check out.

Not at all true Heather. If you're applying for anything second level you must list ALL your assets. Mine takes up 2 full pages. My boss told me that was the reason he called for an interview. They created my position for me.

But Word does have a great program. Also.. check out the books at the library. They have some great ideas in them.

Not at all true Heather. If you're applying for anything second level you must list ALL your assets. Mine takes up 2 full pages. My boss told me that was the reason he called for an interview. They created my position for me.

But Word does have a great program. Also.. check out the books at the library. They have some great ideas in them.

That sounds a little dirty ;)

I work at an IT staffing agency, so i've seen thousands of resumes. That doesn't make me an expert or anything, but i can tell you what i see at least from other people

Organization is key, for sure. Basically when we present candiates we use one format that consists of an executive summary, skills, professional experience (current to first job), education, and certifications/awards. That's the basic format or IT stuff, but i imagine you'd want things like that on whatever resume you are applying for. Also, if you go to monster.com or hotjobs.com, you can see what people put on their resumes and how they format them.

Oh, and all that stuff that says "i'm a hard worker" blah blah blah, we delete that before we present people anyway. It's all bulls*** fluff

Okay i am using a format on word. This format seems different than im used to. It starts with objective, which is fine. Then it has "qualifications" which ive never written. Any ideas? Then it goes to education, which is odd, because ive always been told to hightlight my experience first. Any ideas?

Mine is this:

Objective

Job history - with brief description

Education

Special Skills - no comments from the peanut gallery here!

I also have business and personal refrences, but that's the nature of my field (finance) that they always want them so I have them ready to go.

Mine is this:

Objective

Job history - with brief description

Education

Special Skills - no comments from the peanut gallery here!

I also have business and personal refrences, but that's the nature of my field (finance) that they always want them so I have them ready to go.

Thanks. I dont see the need for the qualifications section if those qualifications are going to be highlighted in my employment history section.

Guest hotsoxchick1

go to monsterjobs.com.. they will walk you through line by line what to put on there..........remember to use good copy paper though....... ;)

go to monsterjobs.com.. they will walk you through line by line what to put on there..........remember to use good copy paper though....... ;)

Ok thanks. Yeah i know about the paper.....right now I am just concerned with the proper set up. Thanks again.

Guest hotsoxchick1
Ok thanks.  Yeah i know about the paper.....right now I am just concerned with the proper set up.  Thanks again.

no problem hon.. anytime....... ;)