OFFICIAL: Sox Sign Linebrink - 4 yrs, 19 mil

soxbearsbulls

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 09:34 PM)
Justin Speier last year would have made more sense. There's the $3 million savings + the $1.5 million the Angels kicked in for 2008. So the trade is Cabrera and Linebrink for Garland.

Plus whatever draft pick we would get for Cabrera leaving minus whatever draft pick we'd lose from Garland leaving. Maybe? Someone help me.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 09:40 PM)
What is too much money? If Williams feels he is able sign Linebrink and still be able to make the moves he feels are needed(I beleive that is the case) is it really too much money?

While there were many holes, the pen arguably was the biggest last season, and Linebrink should be a welcome addition.

Amen to that. Well said Tony.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 09:43 PM)
The Sox don't seem to have a problem with it, which is why I don't.

Him getting blown up here is another story. I have seen Linebrink on occasion, and his stuff isn't very impressive. However, he has put up consistent numbers the last 4 or 5 years, albeit in SD and the NL.

Will see what happens.

I just think it's 5 mill that is better spent elsewhere. Other than that, I'm actually going to back down here a bit. I'm going to give him a chance, I just really don't trust management right now and my first reaction always seems to be not liking moves at the moment.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 07:46 PM)
This guy is mediocre, but face it, its still a huge improvement. If you can't develop your own guys, the bullpen is going to be expensive these days.

With as many kids as we have in our pen, and a couple more hanging around th eminors, this is one of those signings that hopefully actually helps some of those guys develop, just by putting a veteran presence out there.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 22, 2007 -> 03:51 AM)
This strikes me as KW taking the Jim Hendry route to fixing problems.

How else was he going to fix it? The 3 arms that he acquired last year that were supposed to be relievers of the future for the Sox all seemed to fall out of favor.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 09:51 PM)
This strikes me as KW taking the Jim Hendry route to fixing problems.

It at least partially worked for Hendry, but of course he didn't need to have all that great of team to win that division. Are the Cubs the first team in MLB to get swept by a team that got swept by a team that got swept in the playoffs?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 22, 2007 -> 03:54 AM)
It at least partially worked for Hendry, but of course he didn't need to have all that great of team to win that division. Are the Cubs the first team in MLB to get swept by a team that got swept by a team that got swept in the playoffs?

Yes

It would be nice if at least one of the guys between MacDougal, Aardsma, Masset and Sisco could actually be effective next season. I don't think you could count on it, and I'm happy it appears KW is not, but stranger things have happened. KW brings in another guy and one or 2 of these guys do what the White Sox thought they would do and the bullpen goes from total disaster to a strength. Its always nice to dream in November.

How else was he going to fix it? The 3 arms that he acquired last year that were supposed to be relievers of the future for the Sox all seemed to fall out of favor.

That pretty much says it.

The Japanese guy Cleveland signed, what did he get, $3M per year guaranteed? Linebrink is basically $4.75M per year. Bullpen guys aren't cheap and I still wouldn't be surprised to see the Sox sign a reliever from Japan in addition to this. Very few teams are willing to trade decent bullpen guys these days.