OFFICIAL: Sox Sign Linebrink - 4 yrs, 19 mil

soxbearsbulls

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 22, 2007 -> 03:52 AM)
How else was he going to fix it? The 3 arms that he acquired last year that were supposed to be relievers of the future for the Sox all seemed to fall out of favor.

Just because the result was poor doesn't mean the idea was flawed. I assume this also means we're not going to get Yabuta -- or any Japanese reliever -- which I think is f***ing assinine. Cleveland just picked up a guy for a third of what we're giving Linebring and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Kobayashi outperform Linebrink.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 09:59 PM)
Just because the result was poor doesn't mean the idea was flawed. I assume this also means we're not going to get Yabuta -- or any Japanese reliever -- which I think is f***ing assinine. Cleveland just picked up a guy for a third of what we're giving Linebring and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Kobayashi outperform Linebrink.

Linebrink can put down the dogs as well.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 10:57 PM)
It would be nice if at least one of the guys between MacDougal, Aardsma, Masset and Sisco could actually be effective next season. I don't think you could count on it, and I'm happy it appears KW is not, but stranger things have happened. KW brings in another guy and one or 2 of these guys do what the White Sox thought they would do and the bullpen goes from total disaster to a strength. Its always nice to dream in November.

Are you relying on Wasserman to do well?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 09:59 PM)

I wouldnt be shocked to see us still get Yabuta, and move some of the fireballers out in a trade. I think after last seasons debacle in the pen, Kenny is trying to get a different mix in here.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 08:08 PM)
I don't think there is a chance Williams is done with the pen. I will be surprised if we don't land Yabuta. Unless all the CF talk has been crap, and no real dollars are spent to fill the hole, the Sox are going to throw some money around this off-season, try and fix the mess they created in 2007.

I'm hoping.....

What is nice about this is on past White Sox scales, this would have been THE move of the winter. Instead it's a small incremental one of about 5 or 6 that may happen. It's a blip past Uribe. I can't get too worked up either way. It's money and draft picks, too things I let the organization worry about. No players are leaving so hey, why not.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 10:13 PM)
What is nice about this is on past White Sox scales, this would have been THE move of the winter. Instead it's a small incremental one of about 5 or 6 that may happen. It's a blip past Uribe. I can't get too worked up either way. It's money and draft picks, too things I let the organization worry about. No players are leaving so hey, why not.

Whereas, maybe you need to worry about other things.... ;) :ph34r:

Wow did this come out of nowhere. Typical under the radar Kenny. I've long said Linebrink is overrated, but I do hate on him alot cause he's gonna be one of those guys that will give us heart attacks this season but he will get the job done usually and is a good veteran presence. I'm not a fan of this signing as I was with the trade of Cabrera, but I do believe Linebrink is gonna surprise people. So I don't mind this signing at all even though it will a bit bothersome in my mind IF this is all true.

Edited by SoxAce

horrible move. He is not that good, and this move will screw us big time in the future. He's just not that good. And we gave up a 2nd rounder for him...

He's a decent reliever and all, but he is no stud setup man worth 20 million over 4 years. Our only hope is that he has a good 1st half since he will be switching leagues.

Well, first Cabrera and now Linebrink. KW is showing his "big fish" that he means business. That big fish is Hunter. He probably already hinted this move to Hunter in their meeting. There will be moves after Hunter as well. That is why KW wants him to make up his mind before the winter meetings. This teams getting a well deserved make over. Nice surprise to me. I love off season with KW at the wheel.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 10:29 PM)
horrible move. He is not that good, and this move will screw us big time in the future. He's just not that good. And we gave up a 2nd rounder for him...

He's a decent reliever and all, but he is no stud setup man worth 20 million over 4 years. Our only hope is that he has a good 1st half since he will be switching leagues.

god forbid we give up the next matt long, ray liotta or wes whisler.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 10:37 PM)
god forbid we give up the next matt long, ray liotta or wes whisler.

with a team with as bad as a farm as we have, we need all the picks we can get.

And, Linebrink is going to be throwing a lot of homers in the cell, if he does indeed come here.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 22, 2007 -> 03:22 AM)
My faith in this organization has bottomed out. f*** this group heading our beloved -- your going to give $19 f***ing million to Scott Linebrink?

Gosh damnit.

considering the problems we had in the pen last year...the Sox just picked up a guy with a career record of 30 16 with an ERA of 3.21 with 159 walks and 378 K

WTG Kenny :headbang