OFFICIAL: Sox Sign Linebrink - 4 yrs, 19 mil

soxbearsbulls

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(joeynach @ Nov 22, 2007 -> 02:37 PM)
OVERPAID...when we signed hermanson from the NL in 2005 we gave him what 2 yrs 5 MIL. Thats what this guy should have got u cant trust pitchers who pitched in pitcher friendly parks in the NL. They get lit up in the AL.

of course thats what we should have done - oh wait, except had we done that we wouldn't have signed him so... i'm good with it.

QUOTE(joeynach @ Nov 22, 2007 -> 08:37 PM)
OVERPAID...when we signed hermanson from the NL in 2005 we gave him what 2 yrs 5 MIL. Thats what this guy should have got u cant trust pitchers who pitched in pitcher friendly parks in the NL. They get lit up in the AL.

yeah hermanson didn't work out.

QUOTE(joeynach @ Nov 22, 2007 -> 02:37 PM)

1. That was 2 years ago

2. Hermanson was not a proven reliever, let alone the best setup guy on the year's market. He had one or two seasons as a reliever, with an era over 4.00.

Edited by max power

People who are surprised and/or upset with these moves don't understand the direction the team is going. Like it or hate it we're trying to win now. That means established veterans and those types of players tend to be expensive whether your giving up talent (Garland) or cash ($19 million). Personally, I don't really like the direction we're headed because I don't think we have enough to work with but I've accepted it. The dies been cast for a while now.

QUOTE(Jeremy @ Nov 22, 2007 -> 05:11 PM)
People who are surprised and/or upset with these moves don't understand the direction the team is going. Like it or hate it we're trying to win now. That means established veterans and those types of players tend to be expensive whether your giving up talent (Garland) or cash ($19 million). Personally, I don't really like the direction we're headed because I don't think we have enough to work with but I've accepted it. The dies been cast for a while now.

Nice in theory, but much work is left to be done to get into that position. Maybe Linebrink is a piece, but overall this team sucks. Our third-5th starters are Count, Floyd and Danks. While all have (some) potential, it's a very ugly rotation if these guys don't really step up. We also have no leadoff, no CF, questions at 3rd and 2nd and our proven good players are getting older by the day.

QUOTE(kwolf68 @ Nov 22, 2007 -> 04:45 PM)
Nice in theory, but much work is left to be done to get into that position. Maybe Linebrink is a piece, but overall this team sucks. Our third-5th starters are Count, Floyd and Danks. While all have (some) potential, it's a very ugly rotation if these guys don't really step up. We also have no leadoff, no CF, questions at 3rd and 2nd and our proven good players are getting older by the day.

Pretty accurate description. There is reason to be optimistic in a couple of those spots. I like Floyd or Danks to have a solid season. It is not crazy to think a healthy Crede will answer that question in a positive manner.

QUOTE(kwolf68 @ Nov 22, 2007 -> 10:45 PM)

Its early. I would wait before you start judging this offseason... The bullpen was slightly imporved with the aquisition of Linebrink.. If KW can bring over a japanese veteran like Yasuhiku Yabuta i think that would upgrade our pen tremendously. You figure MacDougal, Thorton can only improve from last years mess and you have Wasserman and Logan on the rise.

2005 was unique because the Sox had 5 veteran starters (Freddy, Jon, Mark, Jose, and El-Duque)... Most of their salary actually went to the starters.. but now with the market going waaay up its almost impossible to carry 5 veteran starters unless you are Boston or the Yankees. You need to eventually have to start developing your starting pitchers... I think Mark and Javy are pretty good 1-2 punch.. And with Jose's uncertainties i really expect KW go out and find another starter.

Heres what i think he has left to do:

1 more reliever (Yabuta, maybe Hawkins)

1 more veteran starter (Fogg, Colon, or Garcia?)

a Center fielder (Rowand to make his return?)

a Left fielder (Does Kenny have enough guts to strip his already bare farmsystem for a can't miss Miquel Cabrera or Carl Crawford?? I hope so..... the fans need an impact player like this)

Possibilites:

Does Richar start? Does Uribe start at 2nd? Does Kenny get another 2B?

Trades:

I expect Crede to be dealt... I also expect Uribe to be dealt to hopefully patch up other needs ..

Maybe black friday will turn into White Sox friday with some amazing news? I trust Kenny... this is going to be his biggest challenge , but he has done it before and i think he can do it again...

QUOTE(kwolf68 @ Nov 22, 2007 -> 04:45 PM)

Yeah, I don't think it's going to be successful but it is what it is.

QUOTE(Jeremy @ Nov 23, 2007 -> 09:11 AM)

That's not my beef with this move. The pen obviously needs fixing, and I'm glad KW is trying to address that.

My problem is, I think there were better options out there on the market. Linebrink could easily post an ERA over 4 for us pitching at the Cell. He gives up a lot of HR's, and he really fell apart in the 2nd half of 2007, maybe because he's thrown too many innings over the past couple of years. The same thing happened to Scott Shields.

I compared this signing to the Indians signing Kobayashi. And yes, that is more of a risk / rewards move. But they will be paying about $10M less, and I wouldn't be at all suprised if he puts up better numbers than Linebrink. And they don't lose a draft pick for signing him either.

I'd still like for us to sign a reliever from Japan and trade MacDougal mind you. Mac just doesn't have the mental capacity to be a clutch reliever for us.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 22, 2007 -> 06:08 PM)
I compared this signing to the Indians signing Kobayashi. And yes, that is more of a risk / rewards move. But they will be paying about $10M less, and I wouldn't be at all suprised if he puts up better numbers than Linebrink. And they don't lose a draft pick for signing him either.

As far as I understand, Kobayashi wants an opportunity to close. He was not getting that here without trading Jenks.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 23, 2007 -> 11:12 AM)
As far as I understand, Kobayashi wants an opportunity to close. He was not getting that here without trading Jenks.

Well he'll obviously be behind Borowski for the moment. He might not be closing until 2009 at the earliest.

And if we did sign Kobayashi, it would give us the luxury of dangling Jenks in trade talks, and we'd get a very nice package back for him, that would help fill our needs in CF and rebuild our system.

I hope we still sign Yabuta though.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 23, 2007 -> 11:31 AM)
Borowski sucks.

Anyways, I hope we sign Yabuta too.

Yeah he does. And despite having much better relievers in front of him, the Indians didn't make a change. Could happen again in 2008. Reminds me of the Todd Jones situation in Detroit really.

Signing a reliever from Japan and trading MacDougal for prospects (or Luke Scott, because Ed Wade loves his relievers) makes a lot of sense right now.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 22, 2007 -> 06:36 PM)
Yeah he does. And despite having much better relievers in front of him, the Indians didn't make a change. Could happen again in 2008. Reminds me of the Todd Jones situation in Detroit really.

Signing a reliever from Japan and trading MacDougal for prospects (or Luke Scott, because Ed Wade loves his relievers) makes a lot of sense right now.

I would love me some Luke Scott.

QUOTE(DonnyDevito @ Nov 22, 2007 -> 07:28 PM)
And you think Ozzie does?!

As I pointed out on page 9 of this thread, if the pitchers are doing their job, Copper and and Guillen handle the bullpen very well.

What is so bad about this deal he didn't cost as much and should be at least a decent guy with Thorton and McDougal.