Bobby Jenks Contract Extension...?

joeynach

One thing that has confused me has been the non situation involving Bobby Jenks and a possible contract extension. Im surprised there hasnt been an effort from the sox, our fans, or the media to get a Jenks extension on the table. I think you need to lock this guy up now. He is one of the best closers in the game and still young. He has about 2.5 Years of service time and will be eligible for arbitration after 2008. I would like to the sox sign him to something like 3-4 years and buy out his arbitration and FA years. I understand he can still be had in 2009 for relative league minimum but I think we should show some desire to keep this guy here by going to him with an extension for 4 Years around 16 Mil perhaps with an option at 6 Mil for the least year like Joe Nathan's. Anyone else feel we need to sign Jenks or know if the team has said such things?

I am a Bobby fan obviously. He is under control for the next 3 to 4 years. Closers can be dynamite and then suck. Its a volatile position. Plus he has a pin in his arm. I dont know if you lock him up until he gets closer to FA and keeps doing this for a while.

QUOTE(joeynach @ Nov 23, 2007 -> 01:57 PM)
One thing that has confused me has been the non situation involving Bobby Jenks and a possible contract extension. Im surprised there hasnt been an effort from the sox, our fans, or the media to get a Jenks extension on the table. I think you need to lock this guy up now. He is one of the best closers in the game and still young. He has about 2.5 Years of service time and will be eligible for arbitration after 2008. I would like to the sox sign him to something like 3-4 years and buy out his arbitration and FA years. I understand he can still be had in 2009 for relative league minimum but I think we should show some desire to keep this guy here by going to him with an extension for 4 Years around 16 Mil perhaps with an option at 6 Mil for the least year like Joe Nathan's. Anyone else feel we need to sign Jenks or know if the team has said such things?

why? He is still in pre-arbitration and then has 4 years of arbitration after that. There is no need to rush into signing him. Especially when there are still questions about whether or not his elbow can hold up...

QUOTE(BearSox @ Nov 23, 2007 -> 02:06 PM)
why? He is still in pre-arbitration and then has 4 years of arbitration after that. There is no need to rush into signing him. Especially when there are still questions about whether or not his elbow can hold up...

3 years.

That being said, he'll be eligible for free agency following the 2011 season, there's NO reason to lock him up right now. If you sign him to a 4 or 5 year guaranteed deal you're just incurring a s*** load of risk for no reason.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 23, 2007 -> 04:31 PM)
3 years.

That being said, he'll be eligible for free agency following the 2011 season, there's NO reason to lock him up right now. If you sign him to a 4 or 5 year guaranteed deal you're just incurring a s*** load of risk for no reason.

Especially when a guy has a history of substance abuse and a screw in his elbow. You definately gamble on the conservative side when it comes to a contract extension.

If Bobby were willing to take say a 4/5 year, $20-$30 million deal right now to give up all of his arbitration years, get himself a guaranteed contract, but give the Sox a big discount in the process (i.e. the classic Cleveland format), I would be open to that. Even if his arm did give out, that wouldn't be a gigantic financial commitment to work around if he was being paid on the order of Linebrink. But if Bobby wants to be 1 of those $12-$15 mil a year closers, then he needs to get there stepwise.