Over 21 Thread - Anything Alcohol - :-)

Texsox

I have a friend who does not have much experience with alcohol so I'm learnin' her a thing or two. Great fun. I'm starting from her history with sweet white wines and domestic weak beers with salt :o Think White Zin and Budweiser

Last night brought over Leinenkugels Honey Weiss Bier :headbang :notworthy Now I've got to hide the salt shaker . . .

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been working my way through the micro brews FlaSoxx and others suggested a few months ago. I'm definitely into weizen bocks right now.

I'm not a fan of anything Leinenkugels for whatever reason...but I'd take it over Bud.

Edited by G&T

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 25, 2007 -> 11:36 AM)
I've always thought of Boone's Farm as more a mixed drink than "wine". They are too sweet for me now but I'm thinking of picking some up for a retro party.

Ya, theyre definitely not wine. I consider them more along the lines of a 40 of wine coolers. Occasionally I pick one up and will drink it before I start drinking beer or whatever Im drinking at my house.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 25, 2007 -> 10:22 AM)
What flavors is Boone's Farm offering now?

Back when I was swigging from their bottles it was Tickle Pink, Apple, and something else.

oh man, boone's farm is awesome. Me and the gf discovered it when we had 5 dollars cash on us and wanted to get something. We get the "red" flavor, whatever that is. It tastes like alcoholic "red pop".

If I'm drinking liquor its likely Crown & 7up. Southern Comfort also is a good choice, with 7up or Coke.

If you are going to drink Amaretto, pay the extra few bucks and get Di Saronno. It is head and shoulders above the basic stuff.

Another good drink is a Red Snapper - Crown, Amaretto (Di Saronno) and Cranberry

It's pretty sweet, yet has a kick. Good girl drink or for a guy (like me) that doesn't care for the real hard stuff

If you are trying to find a good drink for a girl, go for "the red fruity drink" (RFD). Just mix 2 or 3 liquors, 2 juices and grenadine. Shake and serve. Voila! You have the red fruity drink. When I used to bartend and a girl ordered something I didn't know or a Sex on the Beach, Alabama Slammer, etc, I just made the RFD. Sometimes the same girl would order 2 or 3 in a night and I would make the different each time and she never knew. But she was always happy and loved the drink.

Suggested liquors - vodka, rum, white tequila, peach schnapps, Malibu rum, Southern Comfort, etc.

Suggested mixers - orange, cranberry, grapefruit, sweet & sour mix, grenadine

Garnish with lemon, orange, cherry or even lime

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Nov 25, 2007 -> 12:05 PM)
Orange Hurricane

Yep, that's my favorite flavor. So good...

As for mixed drinks, I regularly drink: whiskey & water (cheaper and keeps you hydrated, lol), whiskey & coke, and a Tom Collins whenever I have the ingredients, like I do at the moment.

Preferred choice of beer: Miller Light and the High Life...

Jameson whiskey on the rocks. My first few bottles I had to add some water, but over the course of the year (got into it when my parents came back from Ireland and fell in love with it) I'm finally able to handle it straight up for the most part. About 2 glasses (4-5 shots) and I'm good for the night.

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 26, 2007 -> 05:59 PM)
Jameson whiskey on the rocks. My first few bottles I had to add some water, but over the course of the year (got into it when my parents came back from Ireland and fell in love with it) I'm finally able to handle it straight up for the most part. About 2 glasses (4-5 shots) and I'm good for the night.

oh man, me and my roomate went through a bottle of that one night, a full bottle. We were miserable and we sat on our balcony until like 7am.

Oops

Oh man, so many thoughts/comments...

Rum and coke is probably my drink of choice. Generally I go with Bacardi Gold or Ciclon (Bacardi product, rum spiked with a little tequila). I also drink vodka and sprite pretty often, especially at tailgates since our group always has purple vodka and maintaining the color is important, or occasionally a cosmopolitan.

Beer I'm not terribly picky. I just don't like Miller Lite or any heavier/darker beers.

I don't really do wine, never really been a fan, especially of reds. That might be a product of some ugly nights at Illinois that involved vodka shots followed by bottles of wine for some strange reason. :P

Call me crazy, I might be the only person in the world that actually LIKES tequila. I know, it sounds weird but as long as you get at least "decent" stuff (ie not Sauza, the basic Cuervo, or any of the super-cheap brands) it's not quite as brutal on you later, and some of the good ones have really solid flavor. Actually, one of my favorite drinks, especially during the summer:

"La Bomba"

-a shot of tequila (a bit more if you're feeling brave)

-about half a shot of Cointreau (yeah, I know, the s*** is fairly expensive)

- two shots of pineapple juice

-two shots of orange juice

-a dash of grenadine if you so desire

Serve over ice. It's pretty refreshing, and if you like more punch you can cut the juice in half (that's pretty strong though).

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Nov 26, 2007 -> 11:57 PM)
Oh man, so many thoughts/comments...

Rum and coke is probably my drink of choice. Generally I go with Bacardi Gold or Ciclon (Bacardi product, rum spiked with a little tequila). I also drink vodka and sprite pretty often, especially at tailgates since our group always has purple vodka and maintaining the color is important, or occasionally a cosmopolitan.

Beer I'm not terribly picky. I just don't like Miller Lite or any heavier/darker beers.

I don't really do wine, never really been a fan, especially of reds. That might be a product of some ugly nights at Illinois that involved vodka shots followed by bottles of wine for some strange reason. :P

Call me crazy, I might be the only person in the world that actually LIKES tequila. I know, it sounds weird but as long as you get at least "decent" stuff (ie not Sauza, the basic Cuervo, or any of the super-cheap brands) it's not quite as brutal on you later, and some of the good ones have really solid flavor. Actually, one of my favorite drinks, especially during the summer:

"La Bomba"

-a shot of tequila (a bit more if you're feeling brave)

-about half a shot of Cointreau (yeah, I know, the s*** is fairly expensive)

- two shots of pineapple juice

-two shots of orange juice

-a dash of grenadine if you so desire

Serve over ice. It's pretty refreshing, and if you like more punch you can cut the juice in half (that's pretty strong though).

I can't mix booze with anything that's a stimulant, like pop or red bull. I'm either going up or going down. It can't be both.

Yep, good tequila (like Cazadores or Patron Silver) can be sipped from a glass. Unfortunately most Americans know it only as poison used to get hammered quickly.

I think it might be a cultural thing or what you were brought up drinking. To me, whiskey is nasty as hell, but most of my Irish friends drink it down like kool aid in a tumbler.

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

Just got back from a camping trip and 4 days of drinking what has become my standard camping beer menu for the past 4 years:

• Pilsner Urquell

• Hoegarden Belgian Witbier

• Sierra Pale Ale

• Newcastle Brown

Those are all readily available throughout the US, but each one of them is the stylistic archetype (the "ur" beer) for their particular beer style. If you stock your fridge with those four beers you will impress even the most jaded of beer snobs. And if you add Guinness, London Pride, and a Bavarian weiss and festbier they will accept you into the club as a full-fledged beer snob. :lol:

Now that I'm home, I'm drinking the last few six packs of the 2006 Sierra Celebration Ale reserves in anticipation of the 2007 vintage hitting the shelves in a week or so. :drink

I am a beer or wine guy.

I love Stella, Dap, Peroni, Morretti, Boddington's, Corona and Amstel light.

Wine, I prefer red. Barolo's or Brunello's are the favorite there.

Hard liqour has has basically gone out the door once I started drinking beer my sophomore year of college. Can't really do it anymore. If I do, it's usually a vodka/tonic or jack/coke. Can't do Gin cuz I fight and Tequila is a rare thing anymore. I love Di Saronno (Sicilian Kiss or Stone Sours work) and Grappa if I am with the family and feel like dying.

One thing I loved in college was "Poppers"...If you are unfamiliar, try it. Go grab a twelve pack of Corona. Drink out the neck, put in a lime and pour in a shot or two of Vodka. Shake it up a little and drink. Get's you goin quick and feelin good. Great for summer and better when they were 2 dollar's on Wednesday nights at a bar in the downtown.

Edited by Chombi