A Johan Santana trade might be dependent on the status of Francisco Li

Linnwood

QUOTE(That funky motion @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 10:59 AM)
Hank Steinbrenner:

And if the Yankees are to be a part of trade talks, "now" means by Monday, according to Steinbrenner, who said: "The Twins are aware of it, that I'm not going to wait much longer. And the truth of the matter is, they don't want to be stuck with only one team to deal with. If they're stuck with just Boston, they're going to get a lot less. I'm not going to be played. This is not a game. This is serious business. I'm not going to be played, us against the Red Sox. That's not going to happen."

Twins are freakin pissed

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 10:42 PM)
That has to be crap. I don't see anyway that Minny would trade Johan with out at least getting Ellsbury or Bucholz back.

Steinbrenner's big mouth basically lessened Minnesota's leverage, while helping out his main rival. Like father, like son. The mouth works before the brain.

The Yankees could've had Santana for Phil Hughes, Melky Cabrera, Jeff Marquez, and Mitch Hilligoss. Brian Cashman, however, never wanted to sacrifice Hughes for Santana and convinced his bosses that the Yankees couldn't afford him now that Andy Pettitte is in the fold. This near-trade won't be forgotten by Yankees fans, unless Hughes takes off in '08.

THAT is f***ed up.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 08:54 AM)
THAT is f***ed up.

Cashman may be a worse GM than KW; he just gets to deal with $80 million more in salary. Seriously, I don't know how he hasn't lost his job yet, it's absolutely ridiculous that the Yankees haven't won a World Series with all the money they've spent in the past 7 years. I mean, seriously, they've spent a billion dollars in like 5 years, and more than that in the past 7, and haven't won s***.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 12:28 PM)
Cashman may be a worse GM than KW; he just gets to deal with $80 million more in salary. Seriously, I don't know how he hasn't lost his job yet, it's absolutely ridiculous that the Yankees haven't won a World Series with all the money they've spent in the past 7 years. I mean, seriously, they've spent a billion dollars in like 5 years, and more than that in the past 7, and haven't won s***.

The big problem with that job of course is that on occasion, you have someone step in and make a decision for you. The classic example I think in recent years is with deals like the Giambi one, or in deciding to pass on Vlad and sign Sheffield. Those were decisions that seem to have been made over his head.