spiderman

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WCSox @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 03:44 PM)
Why would Rowand accept 12/60 when Hunter just got a $90 million deal?

Because he has nowhere near the resume Hunter has? Granted, the free agent market always tends to allow for huge, undeserved contracts every year, so he may just get about what the Sox were offering Hunter, 5/$75 (but not from the Sox).

QUOTE(iamshack @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 01:48 PM)
Because he has nowhere near the resume Hunter has? Granted, the free agent market always tends to allow for huge, undeserved contracts every year, so he may just get about what the Sox were offering Hunter, 5/$75 (but not from the Sox).

But he also had a better season than Hunter last year and is younger.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 03:50 PM)
But he also had a better season than Hunter last year and is younger.

No doubt. Truth is, both had breakout seasons in their FA years. I am always a bit skeptical when that happens. When you're talking about investing this much in terms of dollars and years, I think it's quite appropriate to look at the player's entire career, as opposed to just his last season.

He is younger, but does he have the same wear and tear on his body?

QUOTE(iamshack @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 02:02 PM)
He is younger, but does he have the same wear and tear on his body?

Hunter has played 33% more big league games in his career than Rowand, and did so on that turf in Minnesota. Rowand's taken a blow or two, but so has Hunter, and I'd say that Hunter's body probably has a lot more wear and tear than Rowand's.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 08:01 AM)
Its not out of the realm of possibility that Rowand's price will come down from what he wanted earlier, but I'd prefer Crisp myself. Besides being a lot cheaper, if he regains his Cleveland offensive form, the guy is only 1 year older than Owens, he could be a .300 hitter with a .340 OBP with 15 homers and 25 steals while playing solid defense. Is Torii Hunter a real good bet to put up similar numbers the next 5 years ? The White Sox apparently were willing to pay him $15 million a year. Crisp has been banged up in Boston, and some people aren't comfortable there either. See Edgar Renteria. For the money they were going to give Hunter, they can pay Crisp and Fukodome should he decide to come over. Seems to me it would be a much better plan.

Crisp is only "cheaper" money-wise. He's more costly than Rowand in that the Sox would have to trade away talent to get him. The Sox are short on talent as it is.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 04:04 PM)
Hunter has played 33% more big league games in his career than Rowand, and did so on that turf in Minnesota. Rowand's taken a blow or two, but so has Hunter, and I'd say that Hunter's body probably has a lot more wear and tear than Rowand's.

I guess I'd agree with that.

Another question then is this:

Who has the larger propensity in the future to get seriously injured?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 06:41 AM)
This could mean the Dodgers are NOT in the running for Rowand? Does any of the left coasters know if Coletti has a Kenny Williams type history of truth telling?

http://www.latimes.com/sports/printedition...lines-pe-sports

Yeah possibly, although it could just be a smokescreen by Colletti.

Right now, I'd probably say the Rangers are the favorites to sign Rowand. They missed out on Hunter, and they need a CF, so it's a pretty good fit, and they have $$$$ to spend.

As for Crisp, it's a risky acquisition no doubt. You have to make sure he's completely healthy and over the wrist and shoulder injuries he's suffered the past couple of years, and the price has to be right. And you have to hope he's the hitter he was in Cleveland, not the one in Boston.

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 04:06 PM)
Crisp is only "cheaper" money-wise. He's more costly than Rowand in that the Sox would have to trade away talent to get him. The Sox are short on talent as it is.

Rowand would cost a draft choice that may or not be any better than what you have to give up to get Crisp. Its not like the White Sox minor league system is loaded with sure things.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 01:48 PM)

I don't see Rowand getting $30 million less than Hunter. No way.

5/75 sounds a lot more reasonable and I don't think there's any way that he goes under 5/70. JMO.

You don't think that Rowand's motorcycle crash took some toll on his body? I would say that whole thing aged his body pretty good. He shattered his left collarbone, broke two ribs and suffered a punctured lung in that accident. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin.