Twins close to acquiring Delmon Young

SoxFan1

The Twins are close to landing Delmon Young from the Twins in a six-player deal that would send Matt Garza, Jason Bartlett and Juan Rincon to Tampa Bay.

The Twins would also pick up Brendan Harris and Jason Pridie, the Star Tribune's La Velle E. Neal III reports. Nov. 28 - 3:05 pm et

Source: Minneapolis Star Tribune

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines...B&hl=226705

Steve was all over this one...

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 01:10 PM)
Steve pointed this out to me on Rotoworld, Minneapolis Star-Tribune:

Twins close to acquiring Young for Garza

Rotoworld Headline

That kinda sucks, they get a talented young bat for one of their multitude of young starters.

We can't match that deal? That sucks.

Floyd, Uribe, and MMac?

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 03:15 PM)
There's just a slight difference in ability between Garza and Floyd. Maybe Danks.

The huge difference is Bartlett to Uribe.... Bartlett has been a better defensive SS than Uribe the last two seasons, while posting far better OBPs. Oh and he makes about $4M less.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 01:17 PM)
The huge difference is Bartlett to Uribe.... Bartlett has been a better defensive SS than Uribe the last two seasons, while posting far better OBPs. Oh and he makes about $4M less.

Yeah, it probably should have been green, but if the Sox sweetened the deal, maybe with some cash and a prospect it could be close.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 02:18 PM)
Yeah, it probably should have been green, but if the Sox sweetened the deal, maybe with some cash and a prospect it could be close.

I really don't believe we're in any position to 'sweeten deals', even if it were to involve someone such as Delmon Young. We'd just be replacing one problem area (offensive prospects) with another (pitching prospects), without the benefit of having Liriano and Santana.

We couldn't possibly one-up Minnesota's offer without including double the prospects. Considering Garza has proven himself capable of pitching in the majors, and has minor league statistics to back it up, it'd probably take DLS + Gonzalez to compensate for him.

Is DLS, Gonzalez, Uribe (as a starting point) for Young worth it?

delmon young walked 26 times last year in 645 Abs...hes never shown a good eye in the minors, he does have power and will certainly develop more than 13 HR power in his future but im not nearly as high on him as some are....i also think the twins are moving towards full out rebuilding...santana will probably be dealt and nathan is likely to follow...they will have a nice core though with young, morneau, mauer, liriano, and potentially adding melky hughes + other prospects + what htey could get for nathan (who has arguably been the best closer since taking over in 04

Edited by daa84

QUOTE(daa84 @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 03:39 PM)
delmon young walked 26 times last year in 645 Abs...hes never shown a good eye in the minors, he does have power and will certainly develop more than 13 HR power in his future but im not nearly as high on him as some are....i also think the twins are moving towards full out rebuilding...santana will probably be dealt and nathan is likely to follow...they will have a nice core though with young, morneau, mauer, liriano, and potentially adding melky hughes + other prospects + what htey could get for nathan (who has arguably been the best closer since taking over in 04

Good. I hope Minnesota overstocks their farm system with talent. All the more pressure from our scouts to find talented players.

It's sad that I have more confidence in Minnesota completely tearing down their team, rebuilding, and reaching the playoffs again before us.

Number Eight really better land us quite the catch next June. We'll need something to look forward to if Minnesota reels in the packages we believe they can for Nathan and Santana.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 07:17 AM)

Yeah that's what hurts here, we lost our best trading partner for Uribe. It's hard to see another team right now that would trade for him, we might be "stuck" with him for 2008.

As for the deal, Tampa Bay obviously wants good young pitching. Garza gives them that, and they are starting to build a nice young rotation, headed by Kazmir.

Interesting that Minny could lose Santana, Garza and Silva from their 07 rotation. Obviously they'll probably have a Phillip Hughes in it to replace Johan, while a Slowey or Baker could be mainstays now, so it does make it weaker overall for 2008.

But Young will be a great player for the Twins, at least for 5 season before he hits FA, then I imagine he'll probably bolt because Carl Pohlad's pretty cheap.

With the Devil Rays acquiring Bartlett as well, I wonder if they would make Briegnic expendable for a young pitcher?

QUOTE(Brian @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 05:44 PM)
I liked Brendan Harris a lot. Came out of nowhere last year. Tampa must be set with Zobrist.

He couldn't field! The only positive thing you could say about his defense at SS was "at least he's better than Upton"... And the Rays just got a much better SS than Zobrist in the deal.

QUOTE(Brian @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 04:44 PM)
I liked Brendan Harris a lot. Came out of nowhere last year. Tampa must be set with Zobrist.

How do you figure that? From 1st to 3rd, Pena-Iwamura-Bartlett-Longoria, with Brignac possibly taking over at SS next year. Zobrist seems like he's pretty much fallen out of the picture, what with a 60-day DL stint and a .509 career OPS in the majors.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 04:51 PM)
How do you figure that? From 1st to 3rd, Pena-Iwamura-Bartlett-Longoria, with Brignac possibly taking over at SS next year. Zobrist seems like he's pretty much fallen out of the picture, what with a 60-day DL stint and a .509 career OPS in the majors.

I was just assuming. They were high on Zobrist last year but he struggled. Figured they would give him another year.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 05:04 PM)
Probably not.

Oh please. kenny sneezes and half the people on here b**** that he didn't wipe his nose fast enough. When Delmon had his 'issues' with the umps and stuff, he was lambasted on here by almost all for being a tool. Now people would be worshiping the god of Delmon if he were to be a Sox? You can think so, but I stand by my opinion of what would go down were that to have occured. Kenny would be verbally assaulted by at least 20% of the posters here over the deal, maybe more depending on who was traded.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 10:01 AM)
Toronto. St. Louis.

St. Louis is an interesting one. Eckstein's still on the market and he wants Julio Lugo money. My thinking is, he may be headed back there for around 6M a season for about 3-4 years.

Toronto had McDonald and Clayton at SS in 07 right? So hopefully they could be an option.