Twins close to acquiring Delmon Young

SoxFan1

As time has gone on, I've "gotten over" Young throwing the bat at the umpire. Babe Ruth punched an umpire in one of his first couple of seasons and then regretted it. Several old-time players fought umpires. Hell, much of the White Sox locker room beat up an umpire who wanted to prove he wasn't "chicken".

What Young did was something I criticized and many others, too, but I've gotten over my "SUSPEND HIM FOREVER!" belief and much of my righteous indignation. It's definitely something you sit your player down for and talk to him about, but he didn't kill anyone.

You're right, I'd imagine that KW would be criticized by some. "Oh, Young's a cancer!" but I don't think the reaction would be the same. If we were in Minnesota's situation, I doubt we'd complain all that much.

Anyone surprised they traded young and kept Dukes? or will Dukes be on his way out as well?

I am freaking shocked. I think this is an awesome deal for the Twins. Young is going to be a stud and a more than capable replacement for Torii Hunter. I think that the Sox can now cross Crawford off their list as they will no longer be moving him.

QUOTE(Brian @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 11:07 PM)
Anyone surprised they traded young and kept Dukes? or will Dukes be on his way out as well?

They weren't going to get legitimate talent for Dukes. Basically for the package they gave up, they got an upgrade defensively at SS, a stud relief prospect, and a future stud in the rotation.

I'm happy to see this trade because the Twins do get rid of arguably their best pitching prospect stuff wise; I'm saddened to see this because they added a bat with 1.000+ OPS potential and I don't get to watch Garza on a regular basis anymore.

The humorous part of this is that we drafted Broadway over a guy like Garza, etc because Broadway was safer pick that would be ready quickly, wouldnt have the upside but didnt matter because he would be traded anyways. What a chip Garza would of been for a team like ours devoid of position prospects. I am sure that Broadway will get the same type of interest, **snickers***.

Basically the Twins probably got the best player in the deal with Young, but the Rays got the next 3 best players in the deal.

So I think it's a win for Tampa. Kazmir, Garza and Shields is a nice 3'some at the top of the rotation, with the potential to improve. And that infield at the moment would be one of the better ones in baseball (if Pena can repeat his performance from 2007).

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Nov 30, 2007 -> 08:53 AM)
The humorous part of this is that we drafted Broadway over a guy like Garza, etc because Broadway was safer pick that would be ready quickly, wouldnt have the upside but didnt matter because he would be traded anyways. What a chip Garza would of been for a team like ours devoid of position prospects. I am sure that Broadway will get the same type of interest, **snickers***.

2 things;

1 - Prototypical Duane Shaffer draftpick was Broadway. Shows why he's no longer with the organization.

2 - It was basically confirmed by the White Sox scout posting on here that Broadway was drafted because they wanted to use him as a bargaining chip because they thought he would reach the majors quickly. So that really worked out a treat didn't it. :crying

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 04:23 PM)
Young led the legue in GIDP and struck out 127 times with a K/BB of 5/1. He is young but his OPS was not that staggering either.

He was a rookie batted near .300 and had an rbi total somewhere in the 90's. Now, it might not compare to Braun's rookie season but thats damn good.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 06:27 PM)
He was a rookie batted near .300 and had an rbi total somewhere in the 90's. Now, it might not compare to Braun's rookie season but thats damn good.

His ops+ was 91, so he was a below-average hitter. Braun's was 153. It "might not compare", no. He had a low obp, slugged around .400, struck out a ton, and he hasn't (yet) shown any patience, nor any trend suggesting he's getting more patient.

I'm not even panning the trade, or Young. People who've seen him play more than I have still believe he has worlds of talent, and that seems reasonable. But the questions are fair, and his season was certainly disappointing. You don't expect one of the top prospects in baseball to be a below average hitter, even in his rookie year.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 03:54 PM)
Basically the Twins probably got the best player in the deal with Young, but the Rays got the next 3 best players in the deal.

So I think it's a win for Tampa. Kazmir, Garza and Shields is a nice 3'some at the top of the rotation, with the potential to improve. And that infield at the moment would be one of the better ones in baseball (if Pena can repeat his performance from 2007).

I think Kazmir could be eventually moved to the pen and become their closer. They also still have Edwin Jackson, and I am still a fan of his. Perhaps he would benefit from moving to the pen first. Also, they have Neimann who will likely start for them this season as well.

The future is looking bright in Tampa Bay...

I don't think you should try to compare his season to Braun's. Young's age is being understated in my opinion. At age 21 Braun was playing for University of Miami, and Delmon is holding his own against major league pitchers. And I wouldn't say he strikes out a ton, his K% was 18% which is only slightly above his minor league rate. His patience seems to be the biggest concern, he really cannot draw walks. But if I were a Twins fan, I'd be pleased with this trade.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 07:46 PM)
I don't think you should try to compare his season to Braun's. Young's age is being understated in my opinion. At age 21 Braun was playing for University of Miami, and Delmon is holding his own against major league pitchers. And I wouldn't say he strikes out a ton, his K% was 18% which is only slightly above his minor league rate. His patience seems to be the biggest concern, he really cannot draw walks. But if I were a Twins fan, I'd be pleased with this trade.

That's fair. I was only trying to say that the difference between him and Braun (in 2007) isn't small, it's a chasm. The age thing, I dunno. He progressed normally through the minors, wasn't particularly rushed, and played well (enough) there. I don't know if "holding your own" -- by itself -- really promises much more. How many stars came up young, struggled, then became what everyone thought they'd be? Honest question -- I'm sure it's happened, but I wonder how often. Just looking randomly -- Sheffield struggled in his age-20 year in a little more than half a season. But he was good in his age-21 year, and even in his age-20 year he was showing patience (about a 1/1 k/bb ratio). I'm trying to find power-hitting outfielders, avoiding superstars like Griffey (not a fair comparison). Andruw Jones, kinda. Cliff Floyd?

You're right about the strikeouts, I was mostly thinking about the k/bb.

My first reaction to the trade was that it was a great deal for the Twins. Now I'm thinking that it was a pretty even swap. I'm mostly just trying to say that the questions and doubts people are raising seem fair.