Rule 5 draft thread

Balta1701

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Calderon @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 02:05 PM)
Barton's intriguing, and an odd story. It's not often that you see a guy go undrafted out of a powerhouse like Miami and then rake (even at an advanced age) in High-A and Double-A. Teams were scared off by an internship that he had lined up at Boeing thanks to his aeronautical engineering studies in college. Cleveland went after him and signed him cheap as a FA.

He can play. I can't comment on his desire this past season, but he can play a bit.

He seems pretty committed from this Q&A

Brian Barton Q&A

How does a RHP who can't hit 90 and has no plus pitch consistently strike out more than a batter an inning and put up the kind of solid numbers he has, year in and year out (with one exception, 2005)?

I'm not qualified to answer the question but it's a good one. Obviously he has some skills. I also agree with the other poster who said why not drop Andy Gonzalez who appears clearly overmatched at the major league level, and put this guy on the 40 instead. No one knows if Hernandez can survive at the MLB level or not but he's had minor league success.

All I know is their reasoning. On the surface I don't agree with it and it appears most here don't either. Then again, I'm not a scout nor do I know anythng about any other factors which may have entered into it.

My hope is, they add better players to take up 40 man spots, guys who are clearly better than either this Hernandez guy or Andy Gonzalez or several others.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 01:57 PM)
The catcher the Cubs made available, Tony Richie, was originally drafted by the White Sox, 5th round? and wasn't signed.

He was relatively highly touted when he was drafted (both by the Sox and Cubs). IIRC he was out of FSU?

QUOTE(BearSox @ Dec 1, 2007 -> 08:39 PM)
we still might be able to keep Hernandez as he might go undrafted due to the fact that there could be a lack of teams actually thinking he is ready for the bigs.

If that happens, then nobody here will want him:

"He was passed on by 30 ML teams. What's he still doing here?"

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Dec 1, 2007 -> 12:49 PM)
I also agree with the other poster who said why not drop Andy Gonzalez who appears clearly overmatched at the major league level, and put this guy on the 40 instead. No one knows if Hernandez can survive at the MLB level or not but he's had minor league success.

Which is, of course, something that Andy Gonzalez hasn't had... 716 OPS in 2300 MiLB at bats. (Happily, though, AGon actually takes a walk).

QUOTE(bighurt4life @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 04:00 AM)
Anyone know if we're even eligible to take a rule five pick?? Is our forty man roster full right now or what. I read that if it's full then we're not allowed to pick in the draft
I beleve for us to participate in choosing someone in the ruleV draft we too have to have an opening on the 40 man roster. Is that correct ?

QUOTE(forrestg @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 11:10 AM)
I beleve for us to participate in choosing someone in the ruleV draft we too have to have an opening on the 40 man roster. Is that correct ?

We'd have to make room since whoever we select would have to stay on our 25 man roster for the whole year if we want to keep him.

The Sox havent really selected anybody recently, so I am not surprised that they probably wont select anybody this year. Seems like a shame though, lose Hernandez, keep Gonzalez, and to not pick up anyone, not even to gain some cash in a draft and trade type deal, with the #8 pick (as I believe it would be the same order as the firsty year draft) it just seems like a waste.

We should add this guy

Often compared to Twins righthander Matt Guerrier for his command and control rather than pure stuff, Hernandez is also an innings-eater with an above-average curveball.

"This is a guy someone’s going to bite on," said one National League scouting director. "He’s all guts and showed the ability to shut people down with games on the line. He profiles as more of a middle reliever, but any manager you talk to who’s had him will tell you they’re not afraid to put him in there in the ninth inning.

"His fastball can be fringy, but he’s got a pretty good curveball with a lot of depth to it, and his changeup is probably his second-best pitch."

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 08:45 PM)

It justs drives me crazy that we are in need for so much bullpen depth while we waste space on gonzalez, atleast trade away aardsma or masset in time to make room for him. AHHHH, this time seriously drives me crazy because I want it to succeed so bad, and giving up on a guy like this just seems so stupid. "An innings eater" ??? sounds like exactly what we need, plus he has moxie? I would so much rather have that with his stuff than a scared s***less aardsma out on the mound.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 07:49 PM)
I'm pretty sure it's official Rule 5 draft policy that Sox leave a talented reliever unprotected. Isn't it?

ah yes, the mystery of why we didn't put Fabio Castro on our 40 man reason for some stupid ass reason.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 08:45 PM)

Article already posted here... twice. But it seems since they decided to protect Andy Gonzalez instead, that now the only way to sign him is hope no one acquires him in the Rule V, and then sign him to a minor league deal. Except someone is probably going to, so he's lost.

Here's a link to some 2007 Rule 5 info and stories on MiLB.com There are several available players listed here, including former first round picks.

Another interesting prospect available is Jamie D'Antona, the DBacks AAA 3B, who was left exposed due to roster management issues the team is dealing with.

D'Antona (25) hit .308 with with a .362 OBP and .861 OPS in 2007.

DBack fans are sick that he was left off their 40-man.

If we didn't already have too many 3Bs I'd want us to take him.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE(scenario @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 12:45 AM)
Here's a link to some 2007 Rule 5 info and stories on MiLB.com There are several available players listed here, including former first round picks.

Another interesting prospect available is Jamie D'Antona, the DBacks AAA 3B, who was left exposed due to roster management issues the team is dealing with.

D'Antona (25) hit .308 with with a .362 OBP and .861 OPS in 2007.

DBack fans are sick that he was left off their 40-man.

If we didn't already have too many 3Bs I'd want us to take him.

Getting absolutely dominated in winter league - .195 (8 for 41)/.227/.220/.447 with 1 XBH.

Absolutely mashed lefties last year...the numbers may be a bit off, but something close to .390/.443/.662/1.105 in 150 or so plate appearances with 23 XBHs. I'd love him to fill in at all the corners (being 1B/3B/LF/RF, regardless as to whether he's actually played the outfield; evenso, the Sox don't have a 1B/3B, so that would work out just fine in my book). Not that the Sox would do something like DFA AGonz, but a guy can dream.