Rule 5 draft thread

Balta1701

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 11:20 AM)
So next year there could be 3 relievers pitching that we gave away for nothing. We lose three guys this year and get back 1.....this organization really confuses me.

There is now way Gary Bakker or Ryan Rodriguez sniff the majors next year. And Liotta, well, odds are against him seeing as he has had some horrible years + injuries the past couple. So, outside Hernandez we didnt really lose anything. Anyone got any info on who we gained?

QUOTE(ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 10:36 AM)
Anyone got any info on who we gained?

Santo Luis... looks like a very large 23 year old Dominican player in A-ball who strikes out alot of people, but might have some control issues.

Just pulling that from looking at his data on thebaseballcube. I don't know anything else about him.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE(scenario @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 11:42 AM)
Santo Luis... looks like a very large 23 year old Dominican player in A-ball who strikes out alot of people, but might have some control issues.

Just pulling that from looking at his data on thebaseballcube. I don't know anything else about him.

99K to 34BB is good, he did have 14WP tho...and he was 24 in A ball. He does have a big frame though. (6'6" 240). I fail to see how this move could help us at all though...

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 11:00 AM)
I understand not protecting Liotta.

But Hernandez, who went 9th to Oakland... what a crock. I just cannot see how he should have been left unprotected while Andy Gonzalez is still on the 40. I don't know why, but that decision just really pisses me off.

It does seem unbelievable.

There have to be a couple of other guys on the 40-man that the team is intending to move, too...

Could have moved them before this and kept Hernandez, couldn't we?

Liotta and Rodriguez were taken in the Major League portion of the RuleV? Or were the two of them taken in the Minor Leauge portion. If they were taken in the major league portion, I just don't see any way those two stay on a major league roster all season unless some team figures they can stick them on the DL for the full-season and keep them afterwards (I'd have to imagine there would be some sort of rule against that).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 01:17 PM)
Liotta and Rodriguez were taken in the Major League portion of the RuleV? Or were the two of them taken in the Minor Leauge portion. If they were taken in the major league portion, I just don't see any way those two stay on a major league roster all season unless some team figures they can stick them on the DL for the full-season and keep them afterwards (I'd have to imagine there would be some sort of rule against that).

Liotta and Rodriguez were taken in the AAA portion.

Losing 5 players in the Rule V just tells me that we have a nice group of minor league players currently in the minors. It takes prospects and impact players to help the major league ball club and for trades but these guys that get drafted here are simply short-term plugs (utility players or bullpen arms that may have a good couple of months in the bigs). I, in no way feel that losing players in the Rule V speaks to the value of the farm system as Scott Merkin alludes to in his article on the MLB site.

Anyone else check out the Sox site article on the Rule V draft? 2 interesting tidbits caught my eye...

There was this:

Both Day and catcher Cole Armstrong currently reside on the White Sox 40-man after previous selection in the Minor League phase of the Rule 5 Draft.

I think that explains Armstrong. I guess he had to be protected after all - due to his previously being drafter via Rule V.

Then there was this from Regier:

However, we felt when we looked up at our board and had to make the decision on the 40-man between the Dewon Days and the Adam Russells and the group of guys we had coming up, we felt that [Hernandez] fell short of our projections on the 40-man.

That's all fine, I wouldn't want Hernandez to replace Russell either. But WTF is Andy Gonzalez doing on there?!?!

One more comment on this draft. For a system that BA and other "experts" call so awful, it sure seems odd that the Sox had so many players taken in the draft. Maybe the lower levels really are getting better.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 04:19 PM)
Excuse me while I mourn the passing of our AA bullpen...

For f***'s sake, I really don't know why anyone gives a s*** about it if we don't pick anything. Maybe I'm not all that broken up about a guy that spent three years in WS.

If you are referring to Hernandez, he spent TWO years in WS. Unless you want to count 2 innings pitched in '04.

Tell you what. Show me why Gonzalez belongs on the 40 and Hernandez doesn't, even 2 weeks ago.