Rule 5 draft thread

Balta1701

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I guess because Gonzalez has cracked the majors and can play a few positions. Maybe Ozzie likes him, I don't know.

We'll see how Hernandez does. But would the Sox have gotten something for him in a trade BearSox? I doubt it.

We've got enough marginal bullpen guys as it is. Losing 1 ain't going to kill this organization.

But Hernandez is in a good situation in Oakland though, very good ballpark for him to pitch in. Just remember that if his numbers turn out decent enough.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 03:19 PM)
Excuse me while I mourn the passing of our AA bullpen...

For f***'s sake, I really don't know why anyone gives a s*** about it if we don't pick anything. Maybe I'm not all that broken up about a guy that spent three years in WS.

I like this version of Heads

Santo Luis stood as the only add-on for the White Sox in the Triple-A phase, with the 23-year-old right-hander moving eighth overall from the Houston organization to Triple-A Charlotte. Luis posted a 4.66 ERA over 44 games for the Class A Lexington Legends in 2007, but he also struck out 99 in 75 1/3 innings, averaging 11.8 strikeouts per nine innings, and held opponents to a .228 average.

Luis possesses a power arm, with a fastball up to 94 mph. White Sox scouts like his velocity and, with help on his delivery, figure to get a few more strikes from him.

just a little info on santo from milb.com

apparently 07 was just his second season of pro ball and he was just playing single-a ball. maybe he played in latin/domincan leagues before that, i'm concerned however that we just paid 12.5k to have a guy jump three levels, not sure what kw was doing on this one, hope it works out

apparently 07 was just his second season of pro ball and he was just playing single-a ball. maybe he played in latin/domincan leagues before that, i'm concerned however that we just paid 12.5k to have a guy jump three levels, not sure what kw was doing on this one, hope it works out

Actually he's not expected to jump three levels, the Sox took him in the minor league phase. They don't have to keep him, or add him to the 40 man, nor do they run the risk of losing him back to the Astros organization. He'll be assigned to one of the minor league teams is all.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 04:06 PM)
One more comment on this draft. For a system that BA and other "experts" call so awful, it sure seems odd that the Sox had so many players taken in the draft. Maybe the lower levels really are getting better.

I don't know if it necessarily means are lower levels are getting much better. I think it means we have more marginal guys with some potential. This organization promotes guys extremely slowly, and therefore other teams have more guys to choose from in our system. Or something to that effect. I don't think anyone that we lost in the minor league portion is going to become an impact player at the major league level. I think it says something bad about our scouting and development when one of our 3 picks in the second round of the 04 draft is taken in the triple a phase of the minor league rule 5, and the other two guys are wes whisler and donny lucy when guys like dustin pedroia, yovanni gollardo, reid brignac, kurt suzuki, and hunter pence where all taken in the same round of that draft. I don't expect that the sox are going to be able to know every single one of the impact players when they are drafting, but with three picks in that round, I would at least hope that they would have the scouting abilty to have been able to have picked one of those guys.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 06:17 AM)
Actually he's not expected to jump three levels, the Sox took him in the minor league phase. They don't have to keep him, or add him to the 40 man, nor do they run the risk of losing him back to the Astros organization. He'll be assigned to one of the minor league teams is all.

he was taken in the AAA portion of the rule 5, i think that means that he has to be on our AAA roster for the season or we offer him back to the astros, i could be wrong though

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 07:38 PM)
At what point do players need to be protected on the 40-man roster? After a certain number of years? At what point can one be taken in the AAA draft? Major League draft?

Via the Wikipedia:

Exemptions to Selection Eligibility

Players signed at age 19 or older are exempt from the Rule 5 draft for four years after being drafted (in the amateur draft) or signed by their current organization; players drafted or signed at age 18 or younger are exempt for five years. For example, players drafted in 2005 (or later) at age 19 (or older) will be exempt from the 2007 Rule 5 draft, as will players drafted in 2004 (or later) at age 18 (or younger).

The exemption periods were extended by one year in October 2006 as part of a new Collective Bargaining Agreement. The change took effect immediately, exempting many players from the 2006 Rule 5 draft even though they had been signed in some cases more than four years before the new agreement came into effect. Prior to the rule change, players were exempt for three or four years after the year they were signed (regardless of the year they were drafted), rather than four or five years.

[edit] Cost and Example

To prevent excessive turnover in the minor league levels, each draftee costs $50,000. If the draftee does not stay on the drafting team's 25-man (major league) roster all season, the player must be offered back to his original team at half-price. Organizations may also draft players from AA or lower to play on their AAA affiliates for $12,000, and may draft players from A teams or lower to play for their AA affiliates for $4,000.

The Rule 5 draft has opened opportunities for teams to take other team's top prospects who may not be ready for the major leagues. For example Johan Santana was chosen in the 1999 Rule 5 draft by the Florida Marlins when the Houston Astros declined to put him on their 40-man roster. After the Marlins traded Santana to the Minnesota Twins for minor leaguer Jared Camp, the Twins kept him on their roster for the 2000 season, in which he toiled to a 6.49 earned run average at only 21 years of age. Two years later, he legitimized himself as a Major League pitcher with an ERA under three, and in 2004 he was recognized as the best pitcher in the league, winning the Cy Young Award and again in 2006. Had he not been chosen in the Rule 5 draft, he likely would not have made his major league debut until the 2001 or the 2002 season with the Astros. In the 2007 season, Reds outfielder Josh Hamilton made his triumphant return to pro baseball via the Rule 5 draft.

• 4 months later...
QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Apr 16, 2008 -> 03:53 PM)
Fernando Hernandez is back with the White Sox. Re-Acquired for $25,000.

Buh? Wait - he was playing on Oakland's major league 25 man roster. So do the Sox have to put him on the 25? I hope not. I liked him, but he needs to be in AAA.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 16, 2008 -> 08:31 PM)
Sweet. Im really glad we got Hernandez back. Everyone thought it was a big mistake to let him go, and now we got him back. 25K is more than worth it.

The Sox actually made $25K on the whole deal, because it costs $50K to take a player in the MLB portion of the Rule V.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Apr 17, 2008 -> 12:31 PM)
Sweet. Im really glad we got Hernandez back. Everyone thought it was a big mistake to let him go, and now we got him back. 25K is more than worth it.

It was a major overreaction by some at the time, because they were worried about the state of our pen.

And now with the additions of Linebrink and Dotel, it's the 4th best in the MLB currently with an ERA just above 3 IIRC.