NO Trade Clause

kwill

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 30, 2007 -> 02:30 PM)
Please inform me.

I'm not going to write an essay trying to clarify what I believe someone else believes. If Kalapse wants to do that, he'll do it himself. I don't think he's saying MacD is an outstanding pressure reliever based on 30 abs or so, but that's his deal. I'll stick to what I'm thinking.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In other news, Rick Hahn was on the Score a few hrs. ago with Mulligan and Hanley. Among his thoughts:

- happy they got O. Cabrera and Linbrink, both were targeted.

- foresees another addition to the bullpen, they are focusing more on strikethrowers vs. the Sisco types

- not shocked to miss out on Hunter but surprised he went to LAA

- when asked specifically about Fukudome, says he didn't want to converse about specific names but stated

they have done a lot of scouting in the Far East

- they are looking hard to upgrade the OF

- optimistic something will happen this week but there are ebbs and flows of these meetings, optimism turns

to pessimism and back to optimism again

- Anderson has been rehabbing from a sternum injury which he picked up rehabbing the wrist. They will know

in a week or so whether he'll go to winter ball. Sox want him to, Anderson also wants to go.

- By all accounts Crede is progressing nicely in his rehab

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Nov 30, 2007 -> 01:41 PM)
I'll stick to what I'm thinking.

I'm sort of confused as to that as well. Are you saying that 3 seasons of splits for a middle or short reliever is insufficient to decide how they perform in those scenarios?

If that is the case, how would you make that determination then? If you were looking at whether to sign, keep or trade a MacDougal, a Linebrink, a Riske or a Thornton, would you not be curious how a setup or 7th/8th inning type guy does in critical situations (runners on, late innings, close score)?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 30, 2007 -> 02:44 PM)
I'm sort of confused as to that as well. Are you saying that 3 seasons of splits for a middle or short reliever is insufficient to decide how they perform in those scenarios?

If that is the case, how would you make that determination then? If you were looking at whether to sign, keep or trade a MacDougal, a Linebrink, a Riske or a Thornton, would you not be curious how a setup or 7th/8th inning type guy does in critical situations (runners on, late innings, close score)?

Yeah, that's basically what I'd say. I wouldn't make a determination -- at least, I'd admit that any such judgement is very likely to be wrong.

I'm very, very, very sceptical about clutchness in general.

And I'd add that, first, you MUST compare to league averages (or use some sort of normalization) when using these stats. They are meaningless otherwise. And that, second, I'm not sure that clutch pitchers are clearly more desirable. Between two pitchers who put up similar headline numbers, is it good to have a guy who's getting in trouble more often, then is somewhat better at getting out of it? If clutchness exists, it seems the ideal bullpen would be composed of unclutch and clutch pitchers alike. The unclutch pitchers throw in low pressure situations. Then in the relatively rare situations when they get in trouble, you bring in the clutch pitcher. The best of both worlds.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 30, 2007 -> 02:09 PM)
Monday-Wednesday?

I know for a fact they start Monday, just not sure when they end.

November 20 - NL Most Valuable Player Award announced

December 1 - Last day for teams to offer salary arbitration

to their former players who became free agents.

December 3 - Hall of Fame Veterans Committee voting announced

December 3-6 - Baseball Winter Meetings - Nashville, Tennessee

December 6 - Major League Rule V Draft - Nashville, Tennessee

December 7 - Last day for free agents offered salary arbitration

to accept the offers.

December 12 - Last day for teams to offer 2008 contracts to

unsigned players.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Nov 30, 2007 -> 01:42 PM)
In other news, Rick Hahn was on the Score a few hrs. ago with Mulligan and Hanley. Among his thoughts:

- happy they got O. Cabrera and Linbrink, both were targeted.

- foresees another addition to the bullpen, they are focusing more on strikethrowers vs. the Sisco types

- not shocked to miss out on Hunter but surprised he went to LAA

- when asked specifically about Fukudome, says he didn't want to converse about specific names but stated

they have done a lot of scouting in the Far East

- they are looking hard to upgrade the OF

- optimistic something will happen this week but there are ebbs and flows of these meetings, optimism turns

to pessimism and back to optimism again

- Anderson has been rehabbing from a sternum injury which he picked up rehabbing the wrist. They will know

in a week or so whether he'll go to winter ball. Sox want him to, Anderson also wants to go.

- By all accounts Crede is progressing nicely in his rehab

Nice info, but were any Aaron Rowand questions asked? I'd be curious what their reaction would be, as that might be telling of what is really going on there, especially with all of the conflicting info that is out there right now.

Nice info, but were any Aaron Rowand questions asked? I'd be curious what their reaction would be, as that might be telling of what is really going on there, especially with all of the conflicting info that is out there right now.

They did touch upon Rowand and Hahn answered in a general way, which is his forte. He basically said they are looking hard to upgrade the OF.

Going from being the closer on a bad team, to being the primary set up guy on a team expected to compete for the World Series.

ummm, MacD pitched pretty damn well for the 2006 World Series Contending White Sox team

He was awful with the rancid 2007 White Sox team.

By the way, back on Riske (sorry for the MacDougal hijack), he actually does a little better in those scenarios. Here are his 3 year splits in those same stats...

Low pressure...

None on: .236/.286

Leading off an inning: .255/.294

High pressure...

Runners on: .216/.297

Scoring position: .214/.319

Funny, I thought Riske sucked in pressure-filled situations. Looks pretty similar, and more importantly, effective to me.