A union question...

EvilMonkey

OK, here it is. Writers are striking! Picketing, making lame protest signs, etc. Fine. Why are talk show hosts refusing to go on because of their strike? Leno, Letterman, etc all have contracts to host their shows. How can they not work ('honoring the strike'), and still have a job? Or at least not be docked pay for non-performance? Is there some arcane law regarding unions that most people don't know about?

I remember when the one hotel in Chicago that was being striked against for a loooong time, and some teamsters decided that they weren't going to deliver to the hotel to honor the strik. How can they do that and not get in trouble?

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 06:07 PM)
OK, here it is. Writers are striking! Picketing, making lame protest signs, etc. Fine. Why are talk show hosts refusing to go on because of their strike? Leno, Letterman, etc all have contracts to host their shows. How can they not work ('honoring the strike'), and still have a job? Or at least not be docked pay for non-performance? Is there some arcane law regarding unions that most people don't know about?

I remember when the one hotel in Chicago that was being striked against for a loooong time, and some teamsters decided that they weren't going to deliver to the hotel to honor the strik. How can they do that and not get in trouble?

Technically the "honoring the strike" is illegal but, in the opinion of the unionists (including myself), it is a moral one to be made.

The biggies like Leno and Letterman can pull this because they have enough pull within their respective companies that forcing the issue and possibly losing those ratings is a lot worse idea for them rather than just running reruns until the strike is over. The victims are going to be the non-writers on the show (see the link @ the bottom)

Also:

ABC’s Jimmy Kimmel Live continues to run in repeats, as its host has backed the writers not only by stepping aside, but even driving a taco truck around to picket sites in Los Angeles. Leno has also been a constant presence at picketing around town.

The idea of Jimmy Kimmel driving a taco truck is quite funny to me for some reason.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/CA6499587.html Update that the nonwriting staffs of the late night shows are going to be axed unless Leno etc. come back to work.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 07:07 PM)

Leno and Letterman, Conan and Kimmel are all also writers. They are members of the Writer's Guild. And as such, they have a duty to strike. Can they be fired for it? Maybe, but in some respects its worth the risk. Do you honestly think ABC wouldn't go after a s***-canned Leno because he wouldn't scab a writer's strike?

Why do they support it? Because the issues they are striking over (residuals from DVD and internet) also affect them too. And if you think this is bad, if the writers don't win, wait til the SAG goes on strike next year when their contract expires. (And it'll happen over the same issues.)

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 12:07 AM)
Leno and Letterman, Conan and Kimmel are all also writers. They are members of the Writer's Guild. And as such, they have a duty to strike. Can they be fired for it? Maybe, but in some respects its worth the risk. Do you honestly think ABC wouldn't go after a s***-canned Leno because he wouldn't scab a writer's strike?

Why do they support it? Because the issues they are striking over (residuals from DVD and internet) also affect them too. And if you think this is bad, if the writers don't win, wait til the SAG goes on strike next year when their contract expires. (And it'll happen over the same issues.)

I understand the reality of why they don't fire someone like Leno, etc., but they don't even dock him pay for the time he isn't working. But for a more likely scenereo, how about my hotel scenereo above? You hear about people from other unions refusing to cross picket lines. Yet they don't get in trouble, docked pay, fired, or anything. I was just wondering if there was any legal reason why. If a trucking company were to fire 5 or 6 drivers who refused to deliver thier loads, could they get away with it?

As for their pay issue, with residuals, etc., what they really need to do is clean up the accounting procedures. Movie and TV execs can make any project look like it lost money, especially if they have to pay anyone a percent of the net instead of gross. As for the merits of some of their issues, I understand to a point, but I also have a problem with some of it. They got paid to write a script/comedy routine/etc. Why do they need to get paid again each time it gets aired somewhere? I know music is that way too, but part of me just doesn't get it. For the writers, they were paid for their services, it should end there. Same for actors. You got your $20 million to act, now the finished product should belong to the studio to do with as they please. Oh well, glad I don't watch too much TV.

Alpha, I understand your point, but I look at those residuals like an insurance agent getting renewals, salesreps getting reorders, or baseball players getting deferred compensation, or a waitress on tips. They have a multistage compensation package which is understood by all.

I am certain the writers would like to take it all up front, but the studios would rather lower their risk against stinko projects. So this deferred compensation lowers the studios initial investment and hopefully motivates those with a financial interest in the finished project to perhaps work a little harder. The old we'll give you half now and half later *if* it is successful.

On this one, I get the strike. There's so much more revenue streams then ever before, yet the writers are still paid like it's 1963 (adjusted for inflation). They should get a higher cut up front knowing that their material has more channels of distribution then even 5 years ago.

It's already been pointed out that Letterman, Leno, et al. are members of the Guild and therefore have a union obligation to strike, but their shows are also dependent on the writers. They couldn't possibly put out anything resembling the same product with replacement writers, so why bother?

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 09:13 AM)
On this one, I get the strike. There's so much more revenue streams then ever before, yet the writers are still paid like it's 1963 (adjusted for inflation). They should get a higher cut up front knowing that their material has more channels of distribution then even 5 years ago.

Either a higher up front fee or better back deals.

Alpha, in response to your question about drivers honoring picket lines at other places, I would imagine that they had union meetings at their own places of business and the members voted to honor the picket lines. In that case, management would eventually have to fire all of their drivers, since none of them would cross. In that case, it's easier to hand a manager keys to a truck and have him cross.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 10:13 AM)

I believe the writers want their residual to climb from 4 cents per DVD to 8 cents per DVD sold, and they want to get something from online distribution - but are willing to take a token sum until a standard business model for that distribution is developed.

Sadly, Carson Daly is breaking the strike. I wouldn't mind someone like Conan breaking the strike if he refused to do a monologue, skits or even crack a joke during an interview.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 04:33 PM)
:lolhitting Lots of support for guys making multi millions per year and going on strike, but some poor SOB who makes $50,000 building cars, he's a greedy s.o.b. :unsure: you know, just sayin'

The writers do not make multi millions per year. Not even close. Try again.

OK, NOW I read that the Dem debate in LA is being cancelled because the writers were going to picket it. OK, First, why are writers picketing a debate? They don't write the questions (the news media does that!), and if they write the answers, well then that tells us everythign we need to know about the Dems. If the writers decide to picket a Hillary townhall of an Obama fundraiser, would the candidates not show up and cross the lines out of 'respect'? If the candidates can't even stand up to a union now, how are they going to stand up to special interests if they are elected? Not one of them appears to have the testicular fortitude to point out the irrelevance of a presidential debate to the writers strike, nor the will to demonstrate their commitment to open political discourse by crossing the line and exposing it for a fraud. The Republicans couldn't have written a better PR script, even if they could hire a writer right now. Are DVD residuals now a higher political interest than the Democratic Presidential Primary elections?

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 11:19 PM)
OK, NOW I read that the Dem debate in LA is being cancelled because the writers were going to picket it. OK, First, why are writers picketing a debate? They don't write the questions (the news media does that!), and if they write the answers, well then that tells us everythign we need to know about the Dems. If the writers decide to picket a Hillary townhall of an Obama fundraiser, would the candidates not show up and cross the lines out of 'respect'? If the candidates can't even stand up to a union now, how are they going to stand up to special interests if they are elected? Not one of them appears to have the testicular fortitude to point out the irrelevance of a presidential debate to the writers strike, nor the will to demonstrate their commitment to open political discourse by crossing the line and exposing it for a fraud. The Republicans couldn't have written a better PR script, even if they could hire a writer right now. Are DVD residuals now a higher political interest than the Democratic Presidential Primary elections?

They are picketing the debate because it is the biggest entertainment event happening in town. High profile, brings even more attention to their strike. I guess they could picket some video store grand opening, but I doubt it would offer much bang for the buck.

Unions have supported Dem candidates at a higher rate than GOP candidates. And the Dems are generally pro working class. So it would seem natural to me that they would honor the picket line. And everyone, Dem and GOP, employs speech writers, well maybe all except Thompson, and you're right, that would explain a lot. :D

LA is an entertainment union town, makes perfect sense to me that the debate would be canceled.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 30, 2007 -> 06:09 AM)
They are picketing the debate because it is the biggest entertainment event happening in town. High profile, brings even more attention to their strike. I guess they could picket some video store grand opening, but I doubt it would offer much bang for the buck.

Unions have supported Dem candidates at a higher rate than GOP candidates. And the Dems are generally pro working class. So it would seem natural to me that they would honor the picket line. And everyone, Dem and GOP, employs speech writers, well maybe all except Thompson, and you're right, that would explain a lot. :D

LA is an entertainment union town, makes perfect sense to me that the debate would be canceled.

So next time the autoworkers go on strike, they should picket the Oscars, since they are the biggest event in town? That makes no sense. I can see them picketing the movie and tv studios, but a debate? That just shows that the candidates priorities are to the unions instead of the general public. Although I guess it IS a good thing that they cacel it. With each debate comes even more promises of how much money they will spend.

Union members are clueless as to how their dues is spent. PAC donations are automatically included on their (electricians) dues notice, whether they want to support it or not. In order not to pay the PAC donation you have to subtract that amount from your dues. When my dad was still alive that fee was 3.00 every 3 mos. But they do not tell you, at least they never used to, that you did not have to pay the fee. It is tantamount to a hidden tax to support the Democratic Party.

Alpha, can you provide a link to a more recent story indicating that there was to actually be a targeted picket of the debate, rather than merely a continuation of the WGA strike and the CBS news writers strike already in force? The original story was presented as:

Washington, DC - The DNC issued the following statement regarding the final DNC sanctioned debate:

"Due to the uncertainty created by the ongoing labor dispute between CBS and the Writers Guild of America, the DNC has canceled the December 10th debate in Los Angeles. There are no plans to re-schedule," said DNC Communications Director Karen Finney.

If that still more or less sums things up, then I’m not sure where your incredulity regarding the DNC and the candidates’ decisions to honor the strike comes from. The debate was going to air on and bring viewership to CBS, whom both the SGA and the CBS news writers have identified as an adversary in the current fight for fair compensation. If the DNC and the candidates support the position of the writers, why would they consent to a televised debate that would benefit the network?

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 30, 2007 -> 09:07 AM)
Alpha, can you provide a link to a more recent story indicating that there was to actually be a targeted picket of the debate, rather than merely a continuation of the WGA strike and the CBS news writers strike already in force? The original story was presented as:

If that still more or less sums things up, then I’m not sure where your incredulity regarding the DNC and the candidates’ decisions to honor the strike comes from. The debate was going to air on and bring viewership to CBS, whom both the SGA and the CBS news writers have identified as an adversary in the current fight for fair compensation. If the DNC and the candidates support the position of the writers, why would they consent to a televised debate that would benefit the network?

I would think that the debate would benbefit the voting public, and that should trump whatever other concerns they would have.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Nov 30, 2007 -> 11:39 AM)
I would think that the debate would benbefit the voting public, and that should trump whatever other concerns they would have.

Then the debates should go on, but they shouldn't be televised by any of the broadcast outlets targeted by the strikes. I'd prefer to have the debate moved to PBS/NPR rather than canceled myself.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Nov 30, 2007 -> 08:41 AM)
So next time the autoworkers go on strike, they should picket the Oscars, since they are the biggest event in town? That makes no sense. I can see them picketing the movie and tv studios, but a debate? That just shows that the candidates priorities are to the unions instead of the general public. Although I guess it IS a good thing that they cacel it. With each debate comes even more promises of how much money they will spend.

I thought they were striking against the networks and companies that produce TV shows. So why wouldn't they picket any event those people were putting on? So using your autoworker analogy, striking the Oscars would be silly, but picketing at an autoshow would make sense.

I guess writers are not the general public. :huh

You would be a great campaign staffer, looking for ways to exploit whatever your opponent is or is not doing. I don't think this will give your guys much play. The Unions are the Dems traditional support and screwing over your friends may be* something the GOP would do, but I think supporting those that have supported you is loyal and the right thing to do. Based on the coverage the average America seems to believe that.

*but I doubt they would.