Williams: "Linebrink + Cabrera = 1 Jon Garland."

TheBigHurt

QUOTE(G&T @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 01:43 PM)
That's not really true. He got money in place of another player. Why should he automatically take another player that he doesn't want when he can use the money to sign a guy he does want? If the choice was between $1.5 million and a prospect that probably won't crack the bigs, or won't contribute as much as Linebrink, then he did get max value.

I agree. You absolutely can't take money out of the equation. Every team has a limit to it's payroll, so clearing salary to sign a free agent or take on another contract is valuable to any team that does it. And that is why the Pods for Lee/Viz deal wasn't a disaster.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 08:23 PM)
I think the problem with everybody's thoughts here is the idea that Kenny actually has a plan.

You know, I actually dislike the idea of having a definite plan. Something's always going to go awry, and if later moves are contingent on the one that goes bad, you're stuck. I'd prefer a gm who doesn't have a specific plan, who just tries to collect as much value and talent as he possibly can in one-off deals.

Not really here nor there, just something that's always bothered me.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 02:00 PM)
I agree. You absolutely can't take money out of the equation. Every team has a limit to it's payroll, so clearing salary to sign a free agent or take on another contract is valuable to any team that does it. And that is why the Pods for Lee/Viz deal wasn't a disaster.

There are plenty of ways to clear payroll that doesn't involve your biggest trading chip. Linebrink and Cabrera might equal Garland for this season, but Linebrink and Cabrera do not equal Garland next year or the year after or the year after. Cabrera is going to need to be resigned. Linebrink will get a salary increase. Then next year, someone else will have to get dumped to make up for it. Why does it have to be the main trading chip that accounts for the cut in salary? We lack talent in this organization. We can make up money in many different places. We can't acquire talent from many different places.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 02:18 PM)
There are plenty of ways to clear payroll that doesn't involve your biggest trading chip. Linebrink and Cabrera might equal Garland for this season, but Linebrink and Cabrera do not equal Garland next year or the year after or the year after. Cabrera is going to need to be resigned. Linebrink will get a salary increase. Then next year, someone else will have to get dumped to make up for it. Why does it have to be the main trading chip that accounts for the cut in salary? We lack talent in this organization. We can make up money in many different places. We can't acquire talent from many different places.

You are leaving out that Garland will also be getting a really big raise here after this year as well. With the money flying around, he could very well be looking at $15ish million a year for at least 5 years, especially if he has another 2005 type season pitching in the large ballparks of the AL West.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 03:18 PM)

But Garland will get a substantial raise too and might make more per year than Cabrera and Linebrink...so it probably will equal out. I understand what you are saying, but how do you know that the prospect they could have received was any good? The organization needs talent, but a throw in prospect isn't going to change anything.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 02:24 PM)
You are leaving out that Garland will also be getting a really big raise here after this year as well. With the money flying around, he could very well be looking at $15ish million a year for at least 5 years, especially if he has another 2005 type season pitching in the large ballparks of the AL West.

I wouldn't say a "really big raise". The overall contract will be big, but annually I can't see it being more than a couple more mil that he makes now ($12 mil). Now that he moves to West it will help, but we shipped him out because he was apparently too expensive for us to resign. So we trade him for a SS (who like Garland, should see an increase in his numbers moving to the Cell) who will be really expensive to resign just because it saves a few mil this season? I don't see it. We'll be in the same position next year having to trade most likely Konerko. We can't continue to keep shipping out more talent than we receive. Add into the fact that we resigned Uribe at $4.5 mil, and the need to acquire payroll space from a Garland trade is even more puzzling.

Edited by sircaffey

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Nov 29, 2007 -> 03:51 PM)
I wouldn't say a "really big raise". The overall contract will be big, but annually I can't see it being more than a couple more mil that he makes now ($12 mil). Now that he moves to West it will help, but we shipped him out because he was apparently too expensive for us to resign. So we trade him for a SS (who like Garland, should see an increase in his numbers moving to the Cell) who will be really expensive to resign just because it saves a few mil this season? I don't see it. We'll be in the same position next year having to trade most likely Konerko. We can't continue to keep shipping out more talent than we receive. Add into the fact that we resigned Uribe at $4.5 mil, and the need to acquire payroll space from a Garland trade is even more puzzling.

How exactly do you handle your checkbook? Do you spend into the negative just because its only a few dollars more? The Sox, just like you, only have so much money they are alotted. They only have so much in revenues, and that is what they are allowed to spend. Just because it is in the millions doesn't make it any different from us who deal in hundreds and thousands of dollars. If you go three dollars over what is in your bank account, there are consequenses for it. Sometimes you have to live paycheck to paycheck if you really want to live highlife.

If he was a free agent right now he'd get at least 15M per year over 5 years. With a real good season, which is more than possible given the fact that the Angels are a good team that plays in a bad division, and I can easily see him asking for 18-20M per year (doesn't mean he'll get 20, but I could see him getting 17-18 if he has an 18-20 win season).