Sox Acquire Carlos Quentin for Chris Carter; DFA Heath Phillips

SoxFan1

QUOTE (Felix @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 12:29 PM)
I'm a big fan of this trade. I'm a fan of Carlos Quentin, and there's a reason why he was considered one of the top (50/100) prospects in baseball in 05 and 06.

He was #20 in 2006 and #22 in 2005.

Talk about an inspired trade. This could go down as one of KW's best, trading a single A DH for a player with Quentin's upside is downright brilliant.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 10:31 AM)
He was #20 in 2006 and #22 in 2005.

Talk about an inspired trade. This could go down as one of KW's best, trading a single A DH for a player with Quentin's upside is downright brilliant.

And, interestingly enough...#23 in 2006 was some dude named Chris Young. Oh and #24 was our closer.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 12:31 PM)
Suddenly, our OF got a lot stronger. As of right now, Quentin is our starting LF, with Owens in center and Dye in right. If we sign one of Jones/Rowand/Fuku, our OF could be sitting pretty for a while.

Fuku/Quentin/Dye & Owens 4th

Quentin/Rowand/Dye & Owens 4th

Quentin/Jones/Dye & Owens 4th

Quentin has never played CF in the majors; tend to doubt he's about to start now.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 12:30 PM)
Or Rowand in CF; I really dont think KW has Owens as a starter next year. He was dumb last year, but I don't think he's that dumb.

How does making Quentin our LF make us better ? I know he's cheap, but unless he's ROY, I don't see how this closes the gap with Cleveland and Detroit.

What kind of numbers are realistic for him ?

Does anyone see Jerry Owens platooning with him ?

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 10:33 AM)
I don't like Owens as a 4th OF, as he is only really a passable LF.

Somehow, I think this deal actually makes it more likely that Owens will wind up starting for us next year in CF, because Quentin on paper isn't an ideal leadoff guy, and there's no obvious leadoff hitter candidate out there for CF (although Quentin would be a leadoff guy in the Sizemore style at some level)...we all know we're going to wind up with a speedy guy at the top of the order, and now the only place we can find that guy is in CF, and there aren't any other speedy small guys available who could play CF other than JO.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 01:35 PM)
How does making Quentin our LF make us better ? I know he's cheap, but unless he's ROY, I don't see how this closes the gap with Cleveland and Detroit.

Look, I'm as big a supporter of Owens as anyone here, but Quentin is a very large upgrade over Owens in LF in almost every phase of the game.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 10:35 AM)

In the minors, Quentin put up these numbers over 4 seasons:

.312 .427 .526 953

He put up a 1.004 OPS last year in AAA after being sent down for 1/2 of the season when he struggled upon coming back from a torn Labrum he suffered in ST.

In 166 at bats with Arizona, in the big leagues, in 2006, he put up a :

.253 .342 .530 872, with 9 home runs (in a full season that would drag out to around 30 homers).

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 10:37 AM)
we all know we're going to wind up with a speedy guy at the top of the order, and now the only place we can find that guy is in CF, and there aren't any other speedy small guys available who could play CF other than JO.

It's too bad you're right about the Sox trying to stick to that formula. Putting Cabrera at the top of the order should be on their list of things to do, unless they get a nice leadoff Crawford-type guy or something. Sticking Owens up there just because he's quick shouldn't be on their radar until he earns that kind of at-bats.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 12:31 PM)
Suddenly, our OF got a lot stronger. As of right now, Quentin is our starting LF, with Owens in center and Dye in right. If we sign one of Jones/Rowand/Fuku, our OF could be sitting pretty for a while.

Fuku/Quentin/Dye & Owens 4th

Quentin/Rowand/Dye & Owens 4th

Quentin/Jones/Dye & Owens 4th

Oh please yes.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 12:35 PM)

More than anything he is viable prospect. If this is the final move, it is a bad one, if it is part an offseason plan than it is a good one. He is an MLB ready prospect which could fit our plans or is tradeable, which when packaged looks really good.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 01:39 PM)
In the minors, Quentin put up these numbers over 4 seasons:

.312 .427 .526 953

He put up a 1.004 OPS last year in AAA after being sent down for 1/2 of the season when he struggled upon coming back from a torn Labrum he suffered in ST.

In 166 at bats with Arizona, in the big leagues, in 2006, he put up a :

.253 .342 .530 872, with 9 home runs (in a full season that would drag out to around 30 homers).

I'm still trying to figure out who the f*** the lead-off hitter is going to be.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 10:41 AM)
More than anything he is viable prospect. If this is the final move, it is a bad one, if it is part an offseason plan than it is a good one. He is an MLB ready prospect which could fit our plans or is tradeable, which when packaged looks really good.

I dunno, I for one really would not be a fan of acquiring him and then immediately moving him for a Cabrera...for 2 reasons. One, he has the ability to put up some excellent numbers for us at a much lower price than Cabrera...and two, and more importantly; his trade value is actually lower than it should be because of his injury last year. He could well come out next season, get hot in april, and have his value skyrocket to the level that a lot of these other young OF's are at. His value could shoot upwards from here, and he could be 2x as valuable come the deadline if we wanted to move him again.

Fukodome to lead off and play CF perhaps? Is he that type of hitter (I must confess I have only seen a few numbers on him).

More likely, KW is again working under the radar, and it will be something no one expected. He does excel at that.

And I think Owens is an almost ideal 4th OF, who also gives a nice PR option on the bench. He's solid defensively in CF and LF, except for that arm.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 10:41 AM)
I'm still trying to figure out who the f*** the lead-off hitter is going to be.

Jerry Owens, who if this goes down we pencil in to CF.

If they make another move for a CF, then I'd say it's possible that we'll see a 1-2 of Cabrera, Quentin.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 12:45 PM)
Fukodome to lead off and play CF perhaps? Is he that type of hitter (I must confess I have only seen a few numbers on him).

IMO yes. He usually has an incredibly high OBP (.400+) so yeah he'd be a great fit at the top of a lineup that features quite a bit of power in the middle.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 10:45 AM)

And I think Owens is an almost ideal 4th OF, who also gives a nice PR option on the bench. He's solid defensively in CF and LF, except for that arm.

Fukudome to me is a decent leadoff option, but he's not an Ozzie type leadoff option. The best thing he has going for him is a reputation at being patient at the plate...taking a ton of walks, getting that OBP up around .400. But he's not a speed burner, he's a 10 SB a year kinda guy. Here's his Japanese Stats from the Baseball Cube, if you wanted to see them.

He's also not a natural CF, which means we'd be moving him to there from a corner OF position, which may make him not want to sign with us if he doesn't want to do that move.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 12:46 PM)
Jerry Owens, who if this goes down we pencil in to CF.

If they make another move for a CF, then I'd say it's possible that we'll see a 1-2 of Cabrera, Quentin.

If only jerry owens had an arm, I'd be comfortable with this. Any chance he might find one this offseason?