Sox Acquire Carlos Quentin for Chris Carter; DFA Heath Phillips

SoxFan1

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice move. Heard about it earlier today and I was quite happy. Would've prefered Gonzalez from their choice of Carlos's but Quentin will do since he is ready for the pros.

I am sad to see Carter go, but I originally thought we'd have to include Garland in a deal to land a Quentin + more. He has been an OF that I liked and others on here have pointed out to target this offseason (along with any of the Mets 3 and even Tampa's) so it's nice to see it happen. The fact we sent a good 1st base prospect away for a young OF (essentially still a prospect) with great upside makes me happy. It is definately a lot more comforting then Fields or Owens in my book.

This thread is 18 pages deep so I am sure it's been discussed how teams used to rave about this guy. Shame he got injured and that the D-Backs kept Byrnes or a nucleus of Quentin, Upton and Young would've been dangerous.

Carter for the Dbacks makes some sense to me since he is still 3+ years away IMO. I guess they don't have much faith in Conor Jackson? Idk what to make of it.

Part of me loves this move as a whole, and another part of me thinks this could be some bait. KW just landed a pretty damn good OF prospect who would fit nicely in a deal for a big time hitter or pitcher. I wouldn't pencil him in for opening day in a Sox Uni yet. I doubt he'll be healthy for one, and two, something wouldn't surprise me to see him as added ammo for a big player.

Very pleased with this move. Still a long way to go but its a satisfying start.

Edited by Chombi

QUOTE(BearSox @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 09:58 AM)
yeah, this deal doesn't make a whole lot of sense from a Diamondbacks perspective, IMO...

Well they've had success with our prospects before, Young the main one, and Cunningham kept on hitting last season.

Maybe they think Carter has a higher potential to produce, while Quentin could take a while to rehab and get back to where he was at the end of 2006, hence they decided to make a move now.

It also gives them the option to maybe trade Jackson in the future years to an AL team as a DH, if he doesn't improve his fielding at 1B, of course Carter ain't the best with the glove either.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 05:05 PM)
Well they've had success with our prospects before, Young the main one, and Cunningham kept on hitting last season.

Maybe they think Carter has a higher potential to produce, while Quentin could take a while to rehab and get back to where he was at the end of 2006, hence they decided to make a move now.

It also gives them the option to maybe trade Jackson in the future years to an AL team as a DH, if he doesn't improve his fielding at 1B, of course Carter ain't the best with the glove either.

Do you think the fact that they train together so they get a better look at the other team's entire organization has anything to do with the numerous trades between the 2 teams? I wonder if the Sox will be doing a lot of dealing with the Dodgers in a few years.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 06:06 PM)
I wouldn't mind to continue dealing with the Diamondbacks next year or the year after and get Jackson when Thome leaves.

Jackson would have to hit around .325 year in and year out with 30 dingers for me to want him as my everyday 1st baseman. I've honestly seen better defensive high school 1st baggers.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 11:10 PM)
Do you think the fact that they train together so they get a better look at the other team's entire organization has anything to do with the numerous trades between the 2 teams? I wonder if the Sox will be doing a lot of dealing with the Dodgers in a few years.

I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. That and probably KW and Byrnes must have a good working relationship in which they can trust each other not to screw the other.

I haven't read all the post in this thread so this might have been covered, but I just wanted to add a few things. For starters, I think this is a very good trade with the potential to be great. I am a huge Carter fan, but Quentin has the same type of upside and is major league ready. Let me stat that I live in Tucson and follow both the DBacks and Sidewinders(AAA team) pretty closely. Most people in AZ thought that Quentin would have a breakout year in 2007. He was always a top 100 calibur prospect who put up big numbers in the minors, and had a solid showing in a short stint in the majors in 2006. Unfortunately, he was bothered by a shoulder injury during ST. He didn't go on the DL though and tried to play through the injury with little luck. He finally went on the DL in July and appeared to recover from the injury. However, he only received 16 AB in the majors before being opted back to AAA. Finally healthy, he put up big numbers in AAA before he was recalled again in Sept. Conclusion, I firmly believe that his poor 2007 major league season was a product of him trying to play through his shoulder injury. I think that this guy still has .300 BA, .400 OBP, .500 SLG potential and could be an absolute steal. I think it was a perfect time to trade for him as well since he stock was at an all time low. Furthermore, the DBacks didn't have any room for him after resigning Brynes and deciding that Upton's future is now(along with Young in CF). I think many Sox fans will be pleasantly surprised by Quentin, and I think Mags is a pretty good comparison in terms of production potential.

QUOTE(whitesox61382 @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 05:24 PM)
I think many Sox fans will be pleasantly surprised by Quentin, and I think Mags is a pretty good comparison in terms of production potential.

Wow!

Quentin has drawn Magglio and Abreu comparisons in this thread. I can't wait to watch this guy on an every day basis.

QUOTE(rockren @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 02:55 PM)
I'm happy to see all of the positive feedback on this deal.

I couldn't believe the amount of bad mouthing KW got on the OC deal. I'm surprised those same people aren't upset we didn't pull down Upton for Carter.

Me too. When I heard about this trade on my way home from work I figured when I logged on to Soxtalk all I'd see is wailing on how KW was a fool for trading away the great Chris Carter. I'm happy to see people here understand this move.

Any word on when Quentin will be ready to play? I've read that after his shoulder surgery in October the expected rehab time was around six months. If true, he may not be on the opening day roster.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 05:58 PM)
yeah, this deal doesn't make a whole lot of sense from a Diamondbacks perspective, IMO...

I was gonna say the same thing. Why in a hurry to unload him? So you have your outfield set...why not hang on to him...or deal him for a starter.

NASHVILLE -- Kenny Williams looks at the Cleveland Indians and Detroit Tigers and says, "Bring it on."

He knows his Chicago White Sox team went 72-90 with a bloated payroll built around veterans signed to long-term contracts, but still thinks he can reclaim the magic that left after the All-Star break in 2005.

I'm not sure that he can, not with the Indians and the Tigers in the way. But he's acting as if he's in the National League Central, not the American League Central, and a lot of White Sox fans are probably happy about that. They're not the most patient bunch around.

For the second time in six months, Williams has made the kind of move you'd make only if it's really important to compete right now -- that is, trade your best young position player prospect for an older minor-leaguer without such a high ceiling.

He did it when he sent outfielder Aaron Cunningham to Arizona for Danny Richar, and he did it again on Monday -- before even actually arriving at the Opryland Hotel for Day 1 of the winter meetings -- by sending Class A first baseman Chris Carter to those same Diamondbacks for corner outfielder Carlos Quentin, who should at least platoon with Jerry Owens in left field next season.

Chris Carter is not a household name, I know. But he's the best power-hitting prospect in a system that doesn't have many of them and as such was probably the guy viewed as the eventual replacement for Paul Konerko or Jim Thome. Baseball America had him preliminarily rated as the No. 6 prospect on their Top 10 list, scheduled for publication in a future issue. The five guys listed ahead of him are all pitchers.

So, no, the Sox aren't getting Quentin, a .career .230 hitter in 138 big-league games, for nothing.

The good news is that you shouldn't judge Quentin by his numbers. He's a former first-round pick with a lot of upside, especially hitting at U.S. Cellular Field. He has played through injuries through his college (Stanford) and pro careers, sometimes to the detriment of his stats. He has enough arm to play right field, so the Sox may eventually consider moving Jermaine Dye across the outfield -- or at least be set with Quentin when Dye finishes his current contract (through 2009 with an option for '10).

There was a time when Quentin was one of the most highly rated hitting prospects in the minors, and he might yet prove those projections to be correct. The big loser here is Ryan Sweeney, who should have been ready to take over in the outfield in 2009. He's slipped behind Owens (like him, a left-handed hitter) and now Quentin, which could make him trade bait as Williams tries to fill the remaining hole in his outfield, acquire a backup shortstop and upgrade his bullpen.

Phil Rogers article

I did not read through the whole thread, but I am surprised this thread is getting a positive vibe. Good for you Sox fans, you recognize a good trade. I was waiting to log on and see name calling, personal insults, and wishing travesty on KW. I was starting to think it was just a natural Soxtalk reaction for any trade. So since I can not mock those who hate the trade ... I got nothing else to say.

QUOTE(NCsoxfan @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 06:14 PM)
NASHVILLE -- Kenny Williams looks at the Cleveland Indians and Detroit Tigers and says, "Bring it on."

He knows his Chicago White Sox team went 72-90 with a bloated payroll built around veterans signed to long-term contracts, but still thinks he can reclaim the magic that left after the All-Star break in 2005.

I'm not sure that he can, not with the Indians and the Tigers in the way. But he's acting as if he's in the National League Central, not the American League Central, and a lot of White Sox fans are probably happy about that. They're not the most patient bunch around.

For the second time in six months, Williams has made the kind of move you'd make only if it's really important to compete right now -- that is, trade your best young position player prospect for an older minor-leaguer without such a high ceiling.

He did it when he sent outfielder Aaron Cunningham to Arizona for Danny Richar, and he did it again on Monday -- before even actually arriving at the Opryland Hotel for Day 1 of the winter meetings -- by sending Class A first baseman Chris Carter to those same Diamondbacks for corner outfielder Carlos Quentin, who should at least platoon with Jerry Owens in left field next season.

Chris Carter is not a household name, I know. But he's the best power-hitting prospect in a system that doesn't have many of them and as such was probably the guy viewed as the eventual replacement for Paul Konerko or Jim Thome. Baseball America had him preliminarily rated as the No. 6 prospect on their Top 10 list, scheduled for publication in a future issue. The five guys listed ahead of him are all pitchers.

So, no, the Sox aren't getting Quentin, a .career .230 hitter in 138 big-league games, for nothing.

The good news is that you shouldn't judge Quentin by his numbers. He's a former first-round pick with a lot of upside, especially hitting at U.S. Cellular Field. He has played through injuries through his college (Stanford) and pro careers, sometimes to the detriment of his stats. He has enough arm to play right field, so the Sox may eventually consider moving Jermaine Dye across the outfield -- or at least be set with Quentin when Dye finishes his current contract (through 2009 with an option for '10).

There was a time when Quentin was one of the most highly rated hitting prospects in the minors, and he might yet prove those projections to be correct. The big loser here is Ryan Sweeney, who should have been ready to take over in the outfield in 2009. He's slipped behind Owens (like him, a left-handed hitter) and now Quentin, which could make him trade bait as Williams tries to fill the remaining hole in his outfield, acquire a backup shortstop and upgrade his bullpen.

Phil Rogers article

quentin and owens platooning?

Edited by Melissa1334

just some fun facts from elias via espn

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=2533330

• His name is Carlos Quentin, and he homered again on Friday night for the Diamondbacks in their 8-7 win in 10 innings at Houston. Quentin, who made his big-league debut on July 20, had already homered in each of his first three starts for Arizona. Friday, he connected for the first pinch-hit homer of his big-league career, off the Astros' Chad Qualls.

Quentin became just the eighth player in major-league history to hit four-or-more home runs within a span of nine calendar days, starting with his big-league debut. Mike Jacobs, now with Florida, was the last to do that, with the Mets last year. (Dino Restelli of the 1949 Pirates and Mark Quinn of the 1999 Royals lead the list; each had five homers in his first nine days in the bigs.)

And, yes, if you're wondering, it was the first time in major-league history that a hitter whose last name begins with 'Q' homered off a pitcher whose last name begins with 'Q.'

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 12:41 AM)
quentin and owens platooning? i dunno...

wow, i didnt know carter was the number 6 best prospect..

I think this will go two ways:

1) If Kenny brings brack Rowand or signs Fukudome i think Owens starts in left field and Quentin is the 4th OF. This is because of the need for a leadoff hitter.

2) If Kenny goes ahead and gets Crisp to play CF, Quentin wil start in LF and Owens will be the 4th OF.

Either way its pretty good situation to be in, this was a good move by KW.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 07:47 PM)

1) If Kenny brings brack Rowand or signs Fukudome i think Owens starts in left field and Quentin is the 4th OF. This is because of the need for a leadoff hitter.

2) If Kenny goes ahead and gets Crisp to play CF, Quentin wil start in LF and Owens will be the 4th OF.

ill protest outside every sox game if owens starts over quentin, especially if we sign fukudome who from all accounts will be an on base in the upper .300s

I really, really, really doubt that KW went and got Quentin to platoon with anyone. He's starting in LF, unless he's flipped in another trade.

And Phil Rogers seems to be the only person so far who doesn't like the trade. He also has a type in his little article - he thinks the magic left after the All-Star break in 2005? I'm pretty sure he meant 2006.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 07:47 PM)

I can only see situation one with Quentin left out as a starter because he is still recovering from his surgery. Otherwise, just give me the best talent starting, and Quentin>>>>>>>>>Owens. Just put Richar at leadoff, as I dont see any other viable option, but the lineup is so much better without Owens starting (I do believe he could start for a team, just not ours, as in I dont think a championship contender could have Owens as a starter, unless every other position is fielded by a superstart. He just isnt ready to lead the offense)

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 12:52 AM)
I really, really, really doubt that KW went and got Quentin to platoon with anyone. He's starting in LF, unless he's flipped in another trade.

Yeah, Quentin was acquired to be a full-time player. He's not platooning with anyone, much less Jerry Owens. Owens -- if he is indeed our fourth outfielder -- may spell him against some tough righties, but it won't be anything more than that (so long as Quentin is producing).

QUOTE(NCsoxfan @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 04:14 PM)

ortstop and upgrade his bullpen.

Is Rogers actually suggesting here that Carter has a higher ceiling that Quentin? I would argue the exact opposite, given the positions they play. As a 1st baseman, compared to a corner OF, I think the guy putting up the high OPS in the OF, with better defense, and actually about 75-100 points higher of OPS, along with more speed based on the stolen base numbers, is more valuable.

I might make the same argument for Cunningham/Richar. Yeah, Cunningham might put up 25-30 home runs in the OF, and a .900 OPS, but Richar might well put up a .850 OPS and 20 home runs from 2nd base with solid defense there. Yeah, Carter might be a 35 home run guy at 1b with a >900 OPS, but Quentin might well be a 25-30 home run guy in the OF with a >900 OPS. I think that the positions here make up a lot of the difference; it's a lot harder to find a guy to put up Quentin's numbers in the OF than at 1b, and it's a lot harder to find a 2nd baseman to put up those numbers than it is to find an OF.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 07:55 PM)
Is Rogers actually suggesting here that Carter has a higher ceiling that Quentin? I would argue the exact opposite, given the positions they play. As a 1st baseman, compared to a corner OF, I think the guy putting up the high OPS in the OF, with better defense, and actually about 75-100 points higher of OPS, along with more speed based on the stolen base numbers, is more valuable.

I might make the same argument for Cunningham/Richar. Yeah, Cunningham might put up 25-30 home runs in the OF, and a .900 OPS, but Richar might well put up a .850 OPS and 20 home runs from 2nd base with solid defense there. Yeah, Carter might be a 35 home run guy at 1b with a >900 OPS, but Quentin might well be a 25-30 home run guy in the OF with a >900 OPS. I think that the positions here make up a lot of the difference; it's a lot harder to find a guy to put up Quentin's numbers in the OF than at 1b, and it's a lot harder to find a 2nd baseman to put up those numbers than it is to find an OF.

Mr. Rogers luuuuuuuuvs to stir the pot with Sox fans. He can't go an article about the Sox without making a comment about the *insert backhanded compliment* of sox fans. He doesn't throw s*** at the wall like Mariotti... he just puts the scent in the air enough to irritate Soxdom.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 07:55 PM)

And whats with all the writers claiming we need more mid infielders? We already have Uribe (hopefully hes gone) and JB/Ozuna. We really dont need more, atleast its not a huge priority.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 07:54 PM)
Yeah, Quentin was acquired to be a full-time player. He's not platooning with anyone, much less Jerry Owens. Owens -- if he is indeed our fourth outfielder -- may spell him against some tough righties, but it won't be anything more than that (so long as Quentin is producing).

If so, only for rest, I hope. Quentin has pretty even splits.