Sox Acquire Carlos Quentin for Chris Carter; DFA Heath Phillips

SoxFan1

QUOTE(bigruss22 @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 05:00 PM)
And whats with all the writers claiming we need more mid infielders? We already have Uribe (hopefully hes gone) and JB/Ozuna. We really dont need more, atleast its not a huge priority.

I think there's an instinctive mistrust of any rookie who comes up and doesn't immediately win ROY, and therefore Richar must be replaced because he didn't immediately win a world series for us.

There seems to be, as far as I can tell, a total lack of faith in these guys developing. Some of this may well stem from Anderson's failure, but it's always seen as "Risky" by someone to go with an "Unproven" rookie even at a position where offense isn't usually the first goal.

You see this fairly often around baseball. The Dodgers, for example, blocking guys by signing Pierre and Gonzalez last year. The Halos constantly blocking their young guys for an extra year or two. The Mets and the bashings they took while Reyes developed into a star (he never walks! he can't be good!) Esp. when they have a Mariotti driving htem on begging for the team to not look cheap, they're supposed to sign the highest priced veteran at every position because anything else would be cheap and that's the only way to win. Until of course that veteran gets old, then the GM was stupid for wasting all that money on a guy.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 06:17 PM)
I did not read through the whole thread, but I am surprised this thread is getting a positive vibe. Good for you Sox fans, you recognize a good trade. I was waiting to log on and see name calling, personal insults, and wishing travesty on KW. I was starting to think it was just a natural Soxtalk reaction for any trade. So since I can not mock those who hate the trade ... I got nothing else to say.

Good to see we've met your approval.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 05:24 PM)
The reason for the concern with the middle infield is most assume Uribe is gone, and Ozuna at SS is not something Ozzie likes. They need to get someone who can play SS as a back-up.

He goes by the name Bourgeois. Or something like that.

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 06:35 PM)
I heard he is terrible at SS.

As a backup, I'm not sure I care at all. Pablo was terrible in the OF but we tolerated him there because he was decent with the bat as a backup. If Cabrera got hurt, then we'd be screwed no matter who we had on the bench, so for a few games during the year, esp. with Ozuna still around, I'll tolerate it.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 02:54 PM)
Love this deal. I love Carter, but Quentin is damn good. Hopefully he isn't trade bait.

Seriously, I can't get past how excited I am about this move. It is the exact type of move I've been calling for (where you get a good value for a player, a guy who has a lot of talent, and it isn't a short-term move as Quentin should be a very good long term big leaguer). Get me a big name Cfer' and than try to swing Paulie and I"d be totally happy (especially if they add to the rotation).

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 04:52 PM)
I really, really, really doubt that KW went and got Quentin to platoon with anyone. He's starting in LF, unless he's flipped in another trade.

And Phil Rogers seems to be the only person so far who doesn't like the trade. He also has a type in his little article - he thinks the magic left after the All-Star break in 2005? I'm pretty sure he meant 2006.

If Kenny gave up our best position prospect with the mind of getting Quentin as a platoon guy I'd throw up. I just have to hope that isn't the case. Otherwise I love the deal because the Sox are getting a guy whose ready now and is a better bet of being a solid big leaguer (I say that because Carter needs to be great offensively to stick, since he is weak defensively while Quentin, even if he is just solid offensively will be solid because of his defensive ability and base running).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 03:19 AM)
If Kenny gave up our best position prospect with the mind of getting Quentin as a platoon guy I'd throw up. I just have to hope that isn't the case. Otherwise I love the deal because the Sox are getting a guy whose ready now and is a better bet of being a solid big leaguer (I say that because Carter needs to be great offensively to stick, since he is weak defensively while Quentin, even if he is just solid offensively will be solid because of his defensive ability and base running).

I think it's definitely the case.

There is no way he is going to simply platoon. Even if they have that in mind for him now, he'll hit well enough so they'll have to play him.

The Chicago media is so clueless. Reporters calling this a "minor trade."

Little do they realize we just acquired an OF for the next 5 years.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 07:21 PM)

This is also vintage Kenny. The deals Kenny seems to do best on are the ones where he deals one minor leaguer for a guy who has a high ceiling but has seen his stock fall a bit. That didn't work out great when it came to Andrew Sisco, but look at a lot of his best trades and these types of deals tend to greatly favor the Sox (I do believe Sox scouts/Kenny have a good eye for these type of guys).

Hopefully Quentin is 100% and will be able to really turn things around. I also want the Sox to be patient with him. I'm also exstatic to hear they would consider moving Paulie. Afterall, there are almost zero bats out there (Cabrera is an amazing bat, but aside from that teams would have to give up a ton of cash for Jones or Rowand and neither of them are the consistent bat that Paulie is nor do I think he's a risk to be named on the Mitchell report like a certain SS from the Orioles that is on the market).

I also must say that while I'm not a big Owings fan, it is hard to argue against a rookie who posted his numbers in a hitters park all while being in the midst of a penant race. He has a good build for a pitcher and solid stuff but he definitely doesn't project as a #1 or #2. However, if the Sox were able to pick up a good young reliever, a solid young first baseman, and a guy like Owings (who would make the rotation better) and than use some of there excess pitching prospects to acquire a young front line starter (Dan Haren/Joe Blanton type) I'd be all for it (with the Sox also moving Contreras for cap relief). Basically give up 2-3 of your pitching prospects plus one of your major league relievers and Brian Anderson or Ryan Sweeney (I'm not saying you can get Haren for that, but dangle that package out there to a number of teams with good young pitchers and see if one of them bites).

If you have Jackson at 1st, Quentin in RF, and Rowand or Jones in CF (Dye moving to left) with Pena moving into the pen (him/Linebrink/Jenks are good from the right side and you still have Thornton/Logan from the left with MacDougall going in a deal for a starter). Solid young lineup, with some pop (Jones/Dye/Thome should hit for plenty of power still). Than have a rotation with Javy/Buehrle/Haren or Blanton or other young good starter/Owings/Remaining 5th prospect (Egbert/Danks/Gio/Broadway/Floyd) and Id say you'd have a shot at contending if everything goes right (and if it doesn't you'd have a team that should be on the upswing and even better in 09).

Why would he acquire him as a platoon guy?

I am actually a little gun shy to post stats because my experience is that people like to twist the stats around. But anyways, in 2007 Quentin was awful vs. lefthanders. Yes it was an odd year for him due to injury. But why would they acquire a potentially high impact guy and tell him he's going to platoon? To get Jerry Owens in the lineup? That doesn't make sense to me and I don't think they like Owens all that much.

My guess is, they are far from done and this whole picture will clear up by end of January.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 03:33 AM)

I am actually a little gun shy to post stats because my experience is that people like to twist the stats around. But anyways, in 2007 Quentin was awful vs. lefthanders. Yes it was an odd year for him due to injury. But why would they acquire a potentially high impact guy and tell him he's going to platoon? To get Jerry Owens in the lineup? That doesn't make sense to me and I don't think they like Owens all that much.

My guess is, they are far from done and this whole picture will clear up by end of January.

My prediction is we sign Rowand in the next week, and Owens will leadoff and play LF vs rhp, and Cabrera will leadoff vs lhp. It's too bad we didn't make a run at Josh Hamilton, as the Reds might be talking to the Cubs about him.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 09:33 PM)

I agree 100%.

I think they may be trying to move Pauly prior to deciding where they want to go with the CF situation. Although I must add that I truly won't believe KW has the stones to deal Pauly until i see it.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 07:37 PM)
I agree 100%.

I think they may be trying to move Pauly prior to deciding where they want to go with the CF situation. Although I must add that I truly won't believe KW has the stones to deal Pauly until i see it.

Am I the only one who thinks that the reason for not dealing Konerko might not be that KW doesn't have the balls, but that no one offers the King's ransom you guys want for him?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 03:39 AM)
Am I the only one who thinks that the reason for not dealing Konerko might not be that KW doesn't have the balls, but that no one offers the King's ransom you guys want for him?

I think PK would have a ton of value on the market.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 07:34 PM)
My prediction is we sign Rowand in the next week, and Owens will leadoff and play LF vs rhp, and Cabrera will leadoff vs lhp. It's too bad we didn't make a run at Josh Hamilton, as the Reds might be talking to the Cubs about him.

If the Sox sign Rowand I expect Rowand to be the 2 hole hitter with OC leading off and Richar in the 9 spot. Quentin would be down in the lineup and like Richar have little pressure on him early on (which should help both develop). I really don't buy into Owens starting next season. He just isn't near as talented as Quentin (or Sweeney for that matter). There is very little logic in the Sox moving Carter for a platoon guy. There is a whole lot of sense moving Carter for a guy with similar upside (if not better upside) that is major league ready (who also fills a much more major need, ie a good defensive outfielder).

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 07:40 PM)
I think PK would have a ton of value on the market.

I'm not saying he wouldn't have a ton of value...it's just that the definition of "A ton" might be somewhat less than what people think we'd get for him. He's not going to draw the same amount that Santana, Bedard, Haren are talking about no matter how much we might think so.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 07:39 PM)

I'd say that about a lot of GM's but not Kenny. If he was willing to deal Aaron Rowand coming off a world series championship he'll be willing to deal Paul Konerko if it makes the team better. Kenny could give two craps about the fans opinion of things because he knows deep down the only guaranteed way is to ensure a packed house is by winning (not just winning over half your games, but by competing for the playoffs and consistently having a shot to and hopefully win the series). Bottom line if Kenny has a move that makes the team better he will do it (whether it means giving up Paul Konerko or Mark Buehrle or whoever the hell else).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 07:44 PM)
I'd say that about a lot of GM's but not Kenny. If he was willing to deal Aaron Rowand coming off a world series championship he'll be willing to deal Paul Konerko if it makes the team better. Kenny could give two craps about the fans opinion of things because he knows deep down the only guaranteed way is to ensure a packed house is by winning (not just winning over half your games, but by competing for the playoffs and consistently having a shot to and hopefully win the series). Bottom line if Kenny has a move that makes the team better he will do it (whether it means giving up Paul Konerko or Mark Buehrle or whoever the hell else).

Well, MB does have a full NTC this year.

And anyway, if KW got an overwhelming offer for Konerko, I bet he'd make the deal. But no matter how much value people think he'd have on the open market, I just don't see teams offering up the silver platter of talent that some folks seem to think we'll get if he's moved. THat's my sole point.