Elijah Dukes to Nationals for PTBNL

SoxFan1

The Washington Post reports that the Nationals will only be giving up a minor leaguer for Elijah Dukes.

It looks like the Rays decided enough was enough and simply salvaged what little they could after Dukes' latest incident in the Dominican Republic. Tampa Bay wanted to open up a roster spot anyway, so the player the team gets back probably won't be on the 40-man roster.

Source: Washington Post

Dukes, Milledge, Pena, Kearns, Langerhans...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 05:37 PM)
That's quite ridiculous and you damn well know it. There's no reason to lump in Milledge with Dukes, other than... well, skin color, really.

The reason I brought this up is due to the stories I heard of what happened when Dukes roomed with Upton in the minors. I'm a big fan of Lastings, but he's quite a character also.

I do agree with your next post about lumping the races into characteristics. Heck, just look at every scouting report on the way Chris Burke plays.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 12:37 PM)
That's quite ridiculous and you damn well know it. There's no reason to lump in Milledge with Dukes, other than... well, skin color, really.

And...

--they're both major league baseball outfielders

--both highly touted talents with minimal real experience

--both highly sought-after this year and traded this year

--both players are tempermental and tend to have "issues", though Duke's are clearly much more serious

I'd say its a very good parallel, and believe it or not, I wasn't even aware of Milledge's race (until now), since I've never seen him before.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 05:47 PM)
And...

--they're both major league baseball outfielders

--both highly touted talents with minimal real experience

--both highly sought-after this year and traded this year

This really didn't have a whole helluva lot to do with the original post.

--both players are tempermental and tend to have "issues", though Duke's are clearly much more serious

"Much more serious" doesn't do Dukes justice. Seriously... A rap album and consentual sex (as an 18 year old, no less -- cripes) is in no way comparable to what Dukes has done. Thus, the parallel sucks because it was pointing at their 'off-the-field' issues. And I'm just going off of what the people who follow the team as much as I follow the Sox have said, and that's basically that these 'issues' are waaay waaay overblown.

If Milledge and Dukes are a viable comparison, so are Brian Anderson and Dukes, Brandon McCarthy and Dukes, and basically any young player who has been called out by management for not going about his work in a "veteran-y" way.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 12:59 PM)
This really didn't have a whole helluva lot to do with the original post.

"Much more serious" doesn't do Dukes justice. Seriously... A rap album and consentual sex (as an 18 year old, no less -- cripes) is in no way comparable to what Dukes has done. Thus, the parallel sucks because it was pointing at their 'off-the-field' issues. And I'm just going off of what the people who follow the team as much as I follow the Sox have said, and that's basically that these 'issues' are waaay waaay overblown.

If Milledge and Dukes are a viable comparison, so are Brian Anderson and Dukes, Brandon McCarthy and Dukes, and basically any young player who has been called out by management for not going about his work in a "veteran-y" way.

OK dude. I'm just saying, its a decent parallel, and I think to make the huge leap to saying its about race is kind of ridiculous.

Which is not to say that what are referring to doesn't happen, especially when talking about how players "look" or their "style" of hitting, fielding or whatever. In that vein, I would certainly agree, people tend to make the comparisons in recially homogenous groups.