What does everyone want for Christmas?

Buehrle>Wood

Even though it doesn't concern me directly, I'd thought I pose a Christmas gift question here for fellow Soxtalkians.

I've been officially dating this girl for about a week now, and prior to that have only known her since late October. The dilemma I have grappled with leading up to now is, what exactly should I give her? It's way too soon in our relationship to be spending a lot of money, or giving her personal items (such as perfume or clothing) yet I'm not going to give her nothing. We haven't discussed this topic; for obvious reasons on my end -- it doesn't exactly sound good if I were to ask, "what do you want for christmas?"

So, today I'm walking through a store and came upon a gift -- a Christmas ornament/decal which mentions her Irish heritage. It cost roughly $25. She is rather proud of her Irish background, so I'd thought it'd be a thoughful selection. If you were a girl, or are a girl (I'm not forgetting our female members), what would this say about your boyfriend? He's cheap? Considerate? I'm more afraid of her opening it up in front of friends or family and just feeling underwhelmed. Or made fun of.

Hell, it may be entirely possible she gives me nothing. It wouldn't bother me, to be honest. Prior to yesterday I was more concerned with the possibility she gives me something and I have nothing in return. I know I rather have something for her -- even if its an ornament -- then nothing. It's the though that counts, right? lol.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 23, 2007 -> 12:20 AM)
Even though it doesn't concern me directly, I'd thought I pose a Christmas gift question here for fellow Soxtalkians.

I've been officially dating this girl for about a week now, and prior to that have only known her since late October. The dilemma I have grappled with leading up to now is, what exactly should I give her? It's way too soon in our relationship to be spending a lot of money, or giving her personal items (such as perfume or clothing) yet I'm not going to give her nothing. We haven't discussed this topic; for obvious reasons on my end -- it doesn't exactly sound good if I were to ask, "what do you want for christmas?"

So, today I'm walking through a store and came upon a gift -- a Christmas ornament/decal which mentions her Irish heritage. It cost roughly $25. She is rather proud of her Irish background, so I'd thought it'd be a thoughful selection. If you were a girl, or are a girl (I'm not forgetting our female members), what would this say about your boyfriend? He's cheap? Considerate? I'm more afraid of her opening it up in front of friends or family and just feeling underwhelmed. Or made fun of.

Hell, it may be entirely possible she gives me nothing. It wouldn't bother me, to be honest. Prior to yesterday I was more concerned with the possibility she gives me something and I have nothing in return. I know I rather have something for her -- even if its an ornament -- then nothing. It's the though that counts, right? lol.

Back when I was looking for the first Christmas present to give my gf I went with a brooch that was about $50, but I knew she would like it. She still wears it now. In reality, she liked it more because she told me she liked brooches and I remembered that, rather than the dollar amount (she told me that). Same deal here. The price shouldn't matter, but the fact that you knew something about her interests should be enough.

If not, then punch her in the head...emotionally.

QUOTE(G&T @ Dec 22, 2007 -> 10:36 PM)
Back when I was looking for the first Christmas present to give my gf I went with a brooch that was about $50, but I knew she would like it. She still wears it now. In reality, she liked it more because she told me she liked brooches and I remembered that, rather than the dollar amount (she told me that). Same deal here. The price shouldn't matter, but the fact that you knew something about her interests should be enough.

If not, then punch her in the head...emotionally.

I honestly had no idea what a brooch was prior to reading your post and googling it. :lol:

She hasn't mentioned anything as specific as brooches, unfortunately. It's sort of difficult to assign an item to represent her Irish heritage, and be appropriate as a gift for Christmas, without being too cheesy or expensive. I thought about buying a necklace but I never see her wearing one. And I made it an issue to stay away from personal items this early in our relationship.

What did your girlfriend give you for the first Christmas? I spend time worrying about what she (or others) may find acceptable, but then again, if she's looking for me it has to be equally as difficult.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 23, 2007 -> 01:13 AM)
I honestly had no idea what a brooch was prior to reading your post and googling it. :lol:

She hasn't mentioned anything as specific as brooches, unfortunately. It's sort of difficult to assign an item to represent her Irish heritage, and be appropriate as a gift for Christmas, without being too cheesy or expensive. I thought about buying a necklace but I never see her wearing one. And I made it an issue to stay away from personal items this early in our relationship.

What did your girlfriend give you for the first Christmas? I spend time worrying about what she (or others) may find acceptable, but then again, if she's looking for me it has to be equally as difficult.

And I didn't know what a brooch was until she told me. :lol: I remember being just as worried about it as you though.

I actually have no idea what she got me. It was 3 years ago and it might have been a track jacket, but that might have been for my birthday (kinda close in proximity). She better not read this. :ph34r:

At any rate, it wasn't anything that blew away what I got her price wise. And if she does blow away what you got her, then make a joke of it and take her out to a nice dinner.

Oh, the best advice I can give is to write a nice card. That can make up for anything and it costs nothing.

Thanks for the encouragement and advice, guys. This isn't exactly a topic I'd run by my friends, :lol

I gave her the gift earlier today with a card. She talked to me about half an hour ago and sounded very appreciative. I was nervous as hell leading up to this moment, because -- function wise -- all she can really do with a damn ornament is hang it up on a tree or perhaps a wall. This is exactly why shopping for women is so difficult -- they attach emotional status to presents. Atleast more often than men. A simple IPOD (another option of mine) probably would have been fine, but it's not original; or personal. Almost a lazy Christmas present for a girlfriend.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 03:28 PM)
I need a new cohost for the show. It isn't quite the girlfriend you wished for, but you could use the show to try and get ladies.

Santa brought me a new GF, just 1 week early though! :headbang

You want me to help ya out, Gager? Both with the show and with the ladies...

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 24, 2007 -> 02:52 PM)
Thanks for the encouragement and advice, guys. This isn't exactly a topic I'd run by my friends, :lol

I gave her the gift earlier today with a card. She talked to me about half an hour ago and sounded very appreciative. I was nervous as hell leading up to this moment, because -- function wise -- all she can really do with a damn ornament is hang it up on a tree or perhaps a wall. This is exactly why shopping for women is so difficult -- they attach emotional status to presents. Atleast more often than men. A simple IPOD (another option of mine) probably would have been fine, but it's not original; or personal. Almost a lazy Christmas present for a girlfriend.

Well good, I hope it worked out well for you. :cheers

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Dec 26, 2007 -> 04:03 AM)
Santa brought me a new GF, just 1 week early though! :headbang

You want me to help ya out, Gager? Both with the show and with the ladies...

How'd Santa hook ya up so early this year? :P

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 25, 2007 -> 05:52 AM)

I have to admit, I did chuckle a bit when I read that part above. It shows how much pressure you can be put under at XMas, with situations such as the one above.

But getting something thoughtful and nice like that sounded like a good idea, and it sounds like it worked out.

Did she get you a "Where's my Liriano" present? :lol: