White Sox Payroll for 2008

spiderman

The Sox already have signed 14 players at $99.975 million, according to the Chicago Tribune.

I'm sure we can add 6 or 7 players on to those 14 players, and we'd be at 21 players for about $101 million, but signing a Aaron Rowand or some other trade, how high can we expect the Sox to increase the payroll ?

Also, keeping in mind that they were offering $15 million a season to T.Hunter as well and, as of yet, haven't spent that money.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 10:07 AM)
The Sox already have signed 14 players at $99.975 million, according to the Chicago Tribune.

I'm sure we can add 6 or 7 players on to those 14 players, and we'd be at 21 players for about $101 million, but signing a Aaron Rowand or some other trade, how high can we expect the Sox to increase the payroll ?

Also, keeping in mind that they were offering $15 million a season to T.Hunter as well and, as of yet, haven't spent that money.

A little less than $8 million of Thome's salary is being paid by the Phillies, FYI, so the total committed is about $91 million. Typically those stories don't take into account the deals with other teams. By the seat of my pants, here are the deals (roughly, some deals may be slightly bigger as they scale up over contracts):

(1) Buehrle - $14 million

(2) Konerko - $12 million ($26 million running total)

(3) Dye - $11 million ($37mm)

(4) Thome - $14.83 million, $7.66 million paid by Phillies, net $7.16 million ($44.1mm)

(5) Vazquez - $11.5 million ($55.6mm)

(6) Linebrink - $4.75 million ($60.4mm)

(7) Uribe - $4.5 million ($64.9mm)

(8) Pierzynski - $5.85 million ($70.8mm)

(9) Contreras - $10 million ($80.8mm)

(10) Thornton - $1.1 million ($81.9mm)

(11) Hall - $1.8 million ($83.7mm)

(12) McDougal - $2.15 million ($85.8mm)

(13) Ozuna - $1.05 million ($86.9 mm)

(14) Cabrera - $9 million, $1.5 million paid by LAAofA, net $7.5 million ($94.4 million)

So I get a net of $94.4. So clearly, some of the face value of the contracts are different than the average annual values I use in some instances.

On the expected 25 man roster, there are a number of players under club control / subject to arbitration:

Joe Crede (est. - $6 mm in arbitration)

Josh Fields - club control ($0.5 mm)

Danny Richar - club control ($0.5 mm)

Bobby Jenks - club control (?? is he a super 2?) ($0.5 mm if under club control)

Jerry Owens - club control ($0.5 mm)

Boone Logan - club control ($0.5 mm)

John Danks - club control ($0.5 mm)

Gavin Floyd - club control ($0.5 mm)

Lance Broadway (I'm filling in the pen here, nothing more) - club control ($0.5 mm)

Ehren Wasserman - club control ($0.5 mm)

Charlie Haeger - club control ($0.5 mm)

Get rid of $2 million of Uribe's $4.5 million (I'm assuming the Sox eat some salary in any trade) and you are down to $92.4 million. If the payroll really could rise to $110 million, that would give the Sox $18 million to spend. Could be shabbier. Give me Fukudome at $12 million per year and let me spend $6 million for a one season deal with Fat Bart, we may be talking here.

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 10:08 AM)
Give me Fukudome at $12 million per year and let me spend $6 million for a one season deal with Fat Bart, we may be talking here.

its going to take more than 12 mil after the contract given to guillen. they said a contract similar to hunters..

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 11:24 AM)
its going to take more than 12 mil after the contract given to guillen. they said a contract similar to hunters..

Who is 'they?' I don't think Fukodome will get the amount of years that will be given to Rowand, Hunter or Guillen. He played in a whole other league and has not come and played in the U.S. yet, which is completely different from Japan. Yeah, one can say Suzuki came over and did well, but I don't think he is similar to Fukodome and Suzuki was younger and probably more promising.

Fukodome > Rowand, by the way. (In terms of our options at this point.)

Edited by The Beast