Miguel Cabrera to the Tigers

fathom

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 05:41 PM)
That helps us how. We are built if you wish to use that term to compete now. With all of the post 30ish players on this team. Its now or never. Kenny burnt the farm already to get to this point. Having the Tigers burn theres is going to make for some company down the road when Minny reloads. We are between two points and we will wind up with another medicore to s*** season.

Compete now? Thats prob the funniest thing ive ever heard. There was never a hope of us competing this year. Our only hope is to build on this young core and hopefully add a couple of impact players.

But to expand on your point. Would this team be better next year WITH Danks, Fields, Possibly Gio and Floyd, and signing Andruw Jones in CF or

Just Miguel Cabrera and 2 or 3 major holes in the rotation, and no 3B? (given the crede trade)

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 05:44 PM)
Compete now? Thats prob the funniest thing ive ever heard. There was never a hope of us competing this year. Our only hope is to build on this young core and hopefully add a couple of impact players.

But to expand on your point. Would this team be better next year WITH Danks, Fields, Possibly Gio and Floyd, and signing Andruw Jones in CF or

Just Miguel Cabrera and 2 or 3 major holes in the rotation, and no 3B? (given the crede trade)

I'll be nearly as happy if we sign Jones.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 05:43 PM)
Because our system sucks and we can field offers for one of the best hitters who happens to be 24 years old. Dont worry wait till you see him live and in person for 19 games a season. I am sure he will be handled by our rotation and stud pen.

Yeah but we knew that yesterday. We knew we had a 5% chance at MC. So why get pissed now?

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 05:41 PM)
Are you guys who are bashing KW over this really upset because you thought we were getting MC all along, or just because you got your hopes up after the report that the "halls were buzzing" over a Sox deal?

Sorry the farm system is so awful under KW clock and he blames everyone else, so trades like this we have no chips to play the game, but KW is good at being played this winter!

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 05:43 PM)
Excuse some of us for believing the report when we had been linked to him all along, and the guys writes that a White Sox source admitted we had an announcement forthcoming about Cabrera.

Well, I've already heard that KW & OG need to keep their mouths shut about their deals, when it has been rumored for weeks now. Like Detroit never would have heard of Cabrera if somebody in the Sox orginazation hadn't blabbed. On top of that I haven't even heard any quotes from KW about MC.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 05:44 PM)

Rock you and I know that Kenny is "going for it now."

If he really wanted to rebuild, Dye would of been traded late last season. Kong would be gone sometime this week for a package. And we would be fielding offers for some of the older players on the team for major league ready guys ala the Twins. We are not building around a young core right now. We are adding a few young players to an old core.

I think the number of disillusioned ChiSox fans grows exponentially daily.....

What exactly is the answer to this teams woes right now? Prae tell!! We have more than one hole that could be filled by Cabrera, thats for damn sure. Trading away the little bit of 'talent' in our system we have left, including Danks, for 2 years of Miggy isn't exactly the answer to lifes problems.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 05:46 PM)
Rock you and I know that Kenny is "going for it now."

If he really wanted to rebuild, Dye would of been traded late last season. Kong would be gone sometime this week for a package. And we would be fielding offers for some of the older players on the team for major league ready guys ala the Twins. We are not building around a young core right now. We are adding a few young players to an old core.

And if he really wanted to go for it now, he wouldnt trade 3 of the arms competing for the rotation and our starting 3B, when he could keep their production and add an impact bat for just money without losing any thread of young talent we have left.

Congratulations Balta!! You have just achieved your SoxTalk.com degree!! Another graduate that sees the delusional masses on here.

Willis shouldn't be the focal point in the deal. They got Miggy and that is it. Willis is nothing to be slept on and the Marlins were selling low on him this offseason.

Regardless of your take on Dontrelle he is still a young lefty with good stuff. His numbers don't indicate his ability as proven by success he has had in the past.

The problem with this deal is here. We have seen the names involved for Miggy. Kendrick, Adenhart, Willits, Wood, Santana, etc. Those are some of the names the Angels had out there. A few of those guys I would put in the same league as Miller and one nearly on Maybins level (Wood).

Other teams we saw had rumors of what they'd be offering as well. Most of the time we saw the same scenario. Two of the top 3 prospects, if not all three (Mariners) and then more on top of that. So to me, they could've gotten Maybin and maybe even Miller for Miggy. As a sox fan, the Tigers dealing Miller+Maybin for Miggy still scares me because of proven mlb track records. Those guys are prospects and Miggy isn't.

Dontrelle could be looked at as a prospect in a sense because he is a hot/cold player. There is nothing delusional in understanding that the guy could easily walk out there next year and win a Cy Young. Not many guys can say they have the ability to do it. He can. So idc how poorly he has looked, the ability is there and that is what the downside is.

For fans like us, it's just that we had invested interest in this deal. The plambeach reporter was used to put a message out there to sucker the Tigers in and it worked. Tigers bit. For us, we heard the news and got excited only to have it crushed by him going elsewhere...Not just elsewhere like LAA, but to a hated division rival who can afford him long term. That is what kills.

Add on top of that that they got Dontrelle, who could very well put up Cy Young numbers again and it is very disheartening for the Sox and the fans. There is nothing "delusional" about anyone who sees that point of view, just as there isn't anything wrong with your opinion. Until he walks out there, it is going to remain an opinion and both sides have legit backing to theirs.

QUOTE(Chombi @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 05:51 PM)
Add on top of that that they got Dontrelle, who could very well put up Cy Young numbers again and it is very disheartening for the Sox and the fans. There is nothing "delusional" about anyone who sees that point of view, just as there isn't anything wrong with your opinion. Until he walks out there, it is going to remain an opinion and both sides have legit backing to theirs.

I dont know how you can equate the ability to win a cy young, with a player who has a downward trend of both ERA, WHIP, and BAA and is moving to one of the best offensive divisions in baseball. In fact, Miller was better than he was last year with the league adjustments.

Wow just got done reading the whole thread and this makes me sick!! We have no chance at competing with the Tigers and Indians next year.. And its not like the Twins got much worse with losing Hunter..

As it is right now we are the 4th place team in the division... Damn it sucks having one of the worse farm systems!!

QUOTE(max power @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 06:59 PM)
The marlins wanted to dump willis with him. We probably didn't want to give anything for him, so we lost.

That's how I am guessing it went, but I'm wise enough to see that I can easily be wrong.

I really doubt the Sox had any chance, Willis or not.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 10:59 AM)
Wow just got done reading the whole thread and this makes me sick!! We have no chance at competing with the Tigers and Indians next year.. And its not like the Twins got much worse with losing Hunter..

As it is right now we are the 4th place team in the division... Damn it sucks having one of the worse farm systems!!

Well the Twins could still lose Santana and Nathan, so right now I'm putting them down for 4th next season.

As for the deal, obviously it's a heartbreaker for the Sox.

The major thing right now, I HOPE Miggy doesn't sign a new deal with the Tigers. I hope he hits FA, and then we can make our move, because I would think if Ozzie's still around, we'd be his #1 choice.

As for Willis, well there are big question marks on whether he can get it turned around or not. The move to the AL won't help, but at least he'll be pitching in a pitcher's park. I'd say something around a 4.00 - 4.50 ERA is what I would be expecting from him, so he should win around 15 games.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 06:03 PM)
wasn't fields on pace to hit 50 this year? just saying

That's what I'm saying. Hopefully one of fields or danks have huge years. I still not going to write this team off. We don't even know what we have in fields, danks, richar, quetin and possibly owens. If those guys live up to their potential, and we play well in our division we still have a chance.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 05:59 PM)

and Santana.

But yes, Cle should be more worried about Det than we are. Of course that is barring any other moves.