Dye calls up Kenny

3 BeWareTheNewSox 5

I still don't know why people think MCab is going to hit FA. The Tigers will pay whatever it takes to rebuild around him for the next ten years, or trade him for a similar package they paid and that will sign him to an extension. The Tigers aren't going to let him go for nothing.

Meanwhile, if Orlando Cabrera signs an extension now I'll be shocked. He seemed luke warm on the idea before, I can't imagine he's feeling different now.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 06:57 AM)
Anyone as sick of this quote as I am? KW hasn't broken it out since pre-WS title

"You try to do things that make sense and you can afford," Williams said. "I can't give you a dollar if I don't have 50 cents. Decisions are made awfully easy for you."

I haven't seen it yet but I am waiting for my favorite.. "We are a small market team"....

QUOTE(greg775 @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 11:27 PM)
Why be mad at Dye?

Be mad at KW for his inability to keep us contenders.

Dye should be pissed if KW lied to him.

I agree with Dye and dont blame him. Williams is a Stooge-and those of us that paid 2 installments to watch the new show Watch the Tigers Grow should be pissed too

The payroll needs to be upped for these greater players to be added. This is not the first time we got burned by Detroit. They also took Porcello when we had first crack at him because of our unwillingness to pay over slot and deal with Boras. The Sox are working at a disadvantage from the moment they start planning. They won't overspend for any player whatsoever(can't hang with the big dogs of the AL). Their amateur scouting is terrible (so we can't work as an Oakland), we won't deal with Boras(can't hang with big dogs again), and we won't pay overslot(can't hang with Detroit again). Hell, this team is trying to depend on our "fantastic clubhouse atmosphere" to sign FA's to lesser deals than what they think is fair market which is about 20% short of what the market is actually paying. We can keep waiting for the market to correct itself, or we could actually try to up the payroll.

I would say blow it up now, but I'm not confident in Kenny assessing his own players' values.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 12:09 PM)
Lol at kw telling dye and buehrle exact names about who he was going after this offseason and already knowing contract amounts. Does anyone actually read your posts after you make them?

I meant that KW was probably the only one believing in his certainty in such an uncertain world. He somehow got MB, JD, and AJ to buy into the fact the sox are serious contenders for Miggy and Hunter. Probably becuase he told himself and the other guys he would go for it all in terms of payroll for Hunter as well as trading prospects for Miggy. KW im sure actually believed he could get both in the same fashion of his "going for it all" plan, but like I said the only thing certain in the FA and trade markets is absolute uncertainty and that is the point im trying to make.

miggy's coming to a division with a lot better pitching than the NL east.

we'll see. Again, Detroit's staff doesn't scare me one bit.

I really don't think that some poor pitching in the NL East is what gave him those numbers. The guy deserves the credit, don't spew crazy things like that unless you plan on showing some evidence that he is like 0-50 against Smoltz, Johan, Beckett, etc....That;s just crazy talk. The guy is a good.

And idk if our pitching is better then other divisions anymore. If Johan goes. It's what Sabathia, Carmona, Buehrle, Javy and maybe Liriano? Tough to say it's better than Hamels, Smoltz, Hudson, Pedro of years past. Top to bottom maybe it's true but it's not the most logical thing I've heard.

Too many elements and highly unlikely his numbers change to where that is even something that would make sense. Not to mention, Sabathia is gone by the break if they aren't contending.

I don't get why Detroit's staff is being hated on so much though. Rogers is decent. Bonderman looked great for half of the season. Verlander pitched very well. Willis is a question mark but if he is healthy, idk how him being a 3 or 5 starter doesnt help him out a lot. RObertson is a decent guy as well. They may not have the dominant guy but they have 3 quality lefties and 2 overpowering righties? Plus a good pen.