Rowand offered 4 yrs/55 million from Sox

fathom

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 03:58 PM)
Rowand's a pretty good player but I'd like to see a leadoff hitter acquired, and with Quentin now on the roster, CF is the only spot for a leadoff hitter. So I guess I'd rather have Fukudome, unless there's a belief he won't be able to handle playing CF and is more of a corner.

The Cubs are going to sign Fukudome!

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fukudome might be a better choice at less money, but if that doesn't happen, Rowand is a solid 2nd choice. Or 3rd I guess, including Hunter.

Either way, I think that means they should consider sending Konerko off, getting the best possible SP in return (Bedard would be great, but may not be possible). You can then move Crede or Fields to 1B for 2008, or try to acquire a 1B.

Do those two things, and the team looks pretty good. Not as talented as DET or CLE, but a big improvement over last year.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 11:03 AM)
I agree with your assessment. In a perfect world, the team takes the money they would of used on a 2nd and 3rd round draft and use it to pay overslot. But I dont see the sox going over slot. Our owner has too good of a relationship with Selig to bypass the slot allocation. Porcello fell into our laps last year, and we passed due to financials. I dont have enough faith in Williams and the sox scouts that they will draft the best available talent. What if that talent is represented by Boras. I think they will get someone decent, but somewhat of an overdraft. I believe that Danks is Kenny's target.

good point...id would certainly suck if we kept going for slot (though at the 8th pick slot still isnt bad)....at this point though since we already have linebrink, rowand only costs us a 3rd round pick which will probably be inconsequential

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 10:11 AM)
Well, if the Cubs gave Fuku more than 4/55, then I don't see the Sox topping that. If they didn't, I don't see why the Sox couldn't just offer Fuku the same contract they offered Rowand. Rowand is a popular player but I doubt he sells any tickets.

The Cubs reportedly offered him in the neighborhood of 4/$45m

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 11:07 AM)
Multiple places have said the Cubs topped San Diego's offer -- Fukudome is going to be a Cub.

Just like multiple places have put the White Sox and Royals as hot on his tail too. Pick your poison. No one really knows what is going on for sure - its all rumors. Fun to talk about, but nothing to hang your hat on.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 10:05 AM)
good point...id would certainly suck if we kept going for slot (though at the 8th pick slot still isnt bad)....at this point though since we already have linebrink, rowand only costs us a 3rd round pick which will probably be inconsequential

Well I am so glad that the franchise decided to play the likes of Pods and Erstad trying to win meaningless games in September that killed our draft. The minute september 1st showed up, they should of told every vet hey we are going to see what we have. 3 less wins and we are right in the middle of the Alvarez sweepstakes.

We should be attempting to gain as many draft picks as possible. This is how good teams like the Redsox and the Yanks have rebuilt their system. They never went through that bad period like the Tigers that allowed for the low draft picks. They made some good decisions, and amassed draft picks. The currency today is prospects. We need a complete replenishing over the next 3 years to have enough chips to compete.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 10:14 AM)
Well I am so glad that the franchise decided to play the likes of Pods and Erstad trying to win meaningless games in September that killed our draft. The minute september 1st showed up, they should of told every vet hey we are going to see what we have. 3 less wins and we are right in the middle of the Alvarez sweepstakes.

We should be attempting to gain as many draft picks as possible. This is how good teams like the Redsox and the Yanks have rebuilt their system. They never went through that bad period like the Tigers that allowed for the low draft picks. They made some good decisions, and amassed draft picks. The currency today is prospects. We need a complete replenishing over the next 3 years to have enough chips to compete.

The Yankees and Red Sox went through a bad period like the Tigers?

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 10:15 AM)
So, Rowand would be the highest paid guy on our team? How f***ed up is that!

The more the days after November pass...the more I feel sorry for myself being a season ticket holder.

I'll pay primo for a Yankee game from you if you don't want those...

Aaron Rowand is a solid player and I like him, but I'd rather see us throw those millions anywhere else.

I'd rather see us deal for Bedard and extend him with some of that money (I know it absolutely won't happen).

I'd rather see us go that route and throw mega bucks that way. I understand that would be that much more costly with having to deal a Danks/Gio and others to get a guy like that- but I'd rather throw mega dollars a guy like that rather than Rowand.

If you are the White Sox you should be thinking that you have to do both. Aaron Rowand if not great and probably not worth 13.75 per, but Druw Jones will be getting more than that. Rowand is the best option available and is a big upgrade over what the White Sox currently have.

If the White Sox could get Bedard without giving up Fields then they should get it done. They should throw every minor leaguer worth a damn at the Orioles for Bedard and see if they will take Uribe as well. A 1 through 4 of Bedard, Vazquez, Buehrle, and Contreras is pretty nice expecially with the leather this club should be throwing around.

Now - who leads off? Carlos Quentin? Danny Richar? Another 2nd baseman? Eckstein? Chris Burke? That is the only position I can see the White Sox trying to upgrade as well as fill the leadoff role. I don't really want Cabrera hitting leadoff.

What to do. What to do.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 11:14 AM)

I do have to agree, I don't get why they kept trotting Erstad and Pods out there in September. They weren't going to be traded, they were almost certain to be released after the season, and they lost the chance to take a closer look at some younger guys. They should have shut Hall down too, and maybe even a starting pitcher or two. I don't believe in playing to lose, but I think playing to evaluate future talent and let the wins and losses fall as they may would have been a good way to go.

QUOTE(G&T @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 10:20 AM)
Cowley is on the Score saying that 4 years won't do it. If they give 5 years, the money could be less.

So 5yrs/60 mil? Yeah he's worth Konerko money......why don't we throw in a no-trade to boot?

This is getting ridiculous.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 10:20 AM)
If you are the White Sox you should be thinking that you have to do both. Aaron Rowand if not great and probably not worth 13.75 per, but Druw Jones will be getting more than that. Rowand is the best option available and is a big upgrade over what the White Sox currently have.

sad how we have to think that way, that jones is too expensive for ur. rowand is not a difference maker and will get us no where. sometimes u have too over pay. unfortunatley its only the cubs,yanks, bos, angels...that are willing to do so

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 10:16 AM)
The Yankees and Red Sox went through a bad period like the Tigers?

I said the Red Sox and the Yankees stockpiled draft picks and made good decisions even thought they never went through a set of losing seasons aka a bad period.

Another type A free agent. So we get a first round draft pick, then we start off at the 4th round. Thats what smart teams do, they limit their draft picks to restock the talent pool in their minor leagues. The same type of talent, that teams have been using to acquire talent. Rowand on this team is nice, and by himself sure. We just signed a type A free agent setup guy. So once again, we wont be replenishing the worst minor league system in baseball this up coming year. We wont pay overslot. So we will get Jordan Danks the grindermaster in the overdraft because he is cheap.

55 million dollars for Rowand. Wait till he hits .270 and cant hit the slider again. I am glad we are just blowing our load because of perception. Just blow this thing up and start over. Rowand isnt a difference maker and we are not competing against the Tigers and Indians this year.

Unf***ingbelievable.

What can you get for Konerko in return? How about Dye? Can you get the same type of player back as you would in the 2nd or 3rd round of a MLB draft? If so, then maybe that is something the White Sox will look into if they really aren't competing come the trade deadline. Just a suggestion. They have time to see if this will work or if they indeed have to blow this whole thing up. I do think he would be really stupid to have a 5 million dollar/year setup man on a non-contending team though.