Rowand offered 4 yrs/55 million from Sox

fathom

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 10:25 AM)
What can you get for Konerko in return? How about Dye? Can you get the same type of player back as you would in the 2nd or 3rd round of a MLB draft? If so, then maybe that is something the White Sox will look into if they really aren't competing come the trade deadline. Just a suggestion. They have time to see if this will work or if they indeed have to blow this whole thing up. I do think he would be really stupid to have a 5 million dollar/year setup man on a non-contending team though.

I think Konerko can get a return from the Angels or the Diamonbacks. But probably you can get the best value is now not as a mid season pickup. I dont see Dye having too much value unless he proves he rebounds.

And that 5 million dollar setup guy has a full NTC. How dumb is that.

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 10:28 AM)
No way I pay Rowand 4/55 do not overpay just to do something at this point! :gosoxretro:

i rather get dejesus. sure he isnt a difference maker but neither is rowand. he can be part of our team now and in the future. he would be our leadoff hitter. hes cheaper.

Kenny's going down in flames. He's way too bull-headed to admit his mistakes and start re-building now.

He's looking very desperate and I'm sure that he feels that he needs to throw a pile of money at an outfielder in order to save face. I'm a Rowand fan but I wouldn't give him 4/55. This fukudome might not be any better. His numbers in Japan look a lot like Iguchi's. For the BILLIONTH time JONES is a Boras client. Good night.

I would prefer to see Kenny not sign a CFer. I would prefer to see him start thinking toward the future and trade Konerko now and not sign anymore free agents. Trade Crede, Uribe, Aardsma, MacDougal and Masset for prospects. When Contreras pitches well in the first half of the season unload him.

In the end, it will be easier to live with finishing in 4th or 5th place with a $ 75 mil. payroll and our young players intact than finish in the same place with a $ 115 mil. payroll, less young talent and loads of big long term contracts.

sad how we have to think that way, that jones is too expensive for ur. rowand is not a difference maker and will get us no where. sometimes u have too over pay. unfortunatley its only the cubs,yanks, bos, angels...that are willing to do so

That was not my point. Jones is not a difference maker either. He is not the type of player that is a perfect fit for this team either. The White Sox have overpaid this offseason. 5 million per for a set up man. They were ready to overpay for Torii Hunter, but someone wanted to overpay him by even more. They seem to want to spend, but certain contracts are beyond overpaying. Torii Hunter's contract is one of those. That is an obnoxious contract. Jose Guillen at 12-13 million per is an obnoxious contract. Andruw Jones' will most likely look the same. Boras won't have his client be paid less per year than Hunter. Pick your poison - 13.75 million dollar Rowand or 18-20 million dollar Druw Jones. I will take Rowand.

Plus we don't have the same resources as the other teams you named do. For one - their tickets are priced much higher than ours. At the same time the White Sox still spend somewhere in the top 5-10 teams. Go figure.

We are making this move just to make a move. It's a PR deal.

Rowand is going to kill us. There is a reason the market hasn't been there for him. Teams don't want to overpay for a guy like him, especially with how reckless he plays.

This will be something next season we all b**** about when there are people on the market we actually want again but can't afford. "Why can't we afford him?" cuz we just gave 14 mil a year to a bum, thats why.

Kenny's going down in flames. He's way too bull-headed to admit his mistakes and start re-building now.

He's looking very desperate and I'm sure that he feels that he needs to throw a pile of money at an outfielder in order to save face. I'm a Rowand fan but I wouldn't give him 4/55. This fukudome might not be any better. His numbers in Japan look a lot like Iguchi's. For the BILLIONTH time JONES is a Boras client. Good night.

I would prefer to see Kenny not sign a CFer. I would prefer to see him start thinking toward the future and trade Konerko now and not sign anymore free agents. Trade Crede, Uribe, Aardsma, MacDougal and Masset for prospects. When Contreras pitches well in the first half of the season unload him.

In the end, it will be easier to live with finishing in 4th or 5th place with a $ 75 mil. payroll and our young players intact than finish in the same place with a $ 115 mil. payroll, less young talent and loads of big long term contracts.

I really don't know what everyone is complaining about. 13.75 seems to be a bargain for a CF right now. What was Gary Matthews' contract? 5 for 50? Is Rowand worth 3.75 million more than him? He seems to be. Blame the Angels for setting the ridiculous price if you don't like it. 5 for 50 for Matthews Jr? 18 million per for Torii Hunter? I don't think I will like the prospects I get in return for Crede, Uribe, Aardsma, MacDougal, or Masset. Those prosects will most likely not be anything we can build a farm system with. Those players are worthless right now.

:notworthy bingo.

We are making this move just to make a move. It's a PR deal.

Rowand is going to kill us. There is a reason the market hasn't been there for him. Teams don't want to overpay for a guy like him, especially with how reckless he plays.

This will be something next season we all b**** about when there are people on the market we actually want again but can't afford. "Why can't we afford him?" cuz we just gave 14 mil a year to a bum, thats why.

I am not worried about anyone b****ing about something. This group of White Sox fans will find something else to b**** about if it isn't this. If it is not one thing it is another. b****ing about stuff is what this group of White Sox fans do best.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 10:37 AM)
I really don't know what everyone is complaining about. 13.75 seems to be a bargain for a CF right now. What was Gary Matthews' contract? 5 for 50? Is Rowand worth 3.75 million more than him? He seems to be. Blame the Angels for setting the ridiculous price if you don't like it. 5 for 50 for Matthews Jr? 18 million per for Torii Hunter?

Unless the Angels are really interested in bringing in Rowand too, I don't think the market was set based on one team's overspending. Not really a valid argument.

:notworthy bingo.

Where is bingo? The post is nonsense. The prospects we would get back for the players he wants to trade away will most likely be worthless. Uribe and Crede would be salary dumps at best. Those players are worthless and would most likely bring back worthless prospects and nothing decent. That is not how the White Sox would be able to rebuild. Ridiculous.

Unless the Angels are really interested in bringing in Rowand too, I don't think the market was set based on one team's overspending. Not really a valid argument.

Really? The standard was set for CFers based on Hunter's contract from the Angels. Other agents will use this as a base for their clients. Boras, for instance, has said Druw Jones won't accept less per year. It is a very valid argument.

QUOTE(bschmaranz @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 10:40 AM)

wasnt it the cubs that ruined the market? after soriano got that contract then ichiro got that contract, wells, zito, zambrano..

I really don't know what everyone is complaining about. 13.75 seems to be a bargain for a CF right now. What was Gary Matthews' contract? 5 for 50? Is Rowand worth 3.75 million more than him? He seems to be. Blame the Angels for setting the ridiculous price if you don't like it. 5 for 50 for Matthews Jr? 18 million per for Torii Hunter? I don't think I will like the prospects I get in return for Crede, Uribe, Aardsma, MacDougal, or Masset. Those prosects will most likely not be anything we can build a farm system with. Those players are worthless right now.

It may be a bargain for today's cf, which is why we don't get involved and overpay. Look at our best players. What do they make per season? Kong gets 12. Thome gets 13. MB gets 14. You think Rowand deserves to be in their range? Definately not.

it's like the Angels have looked at business the last few years and even this year. They aren't going to overpay for players especially when they have a premier player making 14 mil. Not many people are better then Vlad, so why pay them more? Significantly more in some cases. Even Hunters contract forced renegotiations with the club and Vlad.

And your mathews thing is a great point. A very good defensive player who had a monster season. Now look at him. You want to take the similar gamble on a guy who we have already had and know his abilities aren't worth the money. We of all teams should know from having this guy that he is unlikely to repeat 07'.

This move does nothing for us. He is going to do what? Hit 6th or 7th? Hit his 18 homers and knock in 70. Have a sub-par OBP for an OF. Dumb dumb dumb.

All the while, we will fill up more salary cap and be unable to develop a guy like Owens because of this? I am not even an avid Owens supporter but I am over a "save my ass" signing like this.

If this happens. Rowand will go from folk hero to a hated player. He will under perform, possibly get hurt and have the most unmoveable contract in 3 years when we want to deal him.

I think Konerko can get a return from the Angels or the Diamonbacks. But probably you can get the best value is now not as a mid season pickup. I dont see Dye having too much value unless he proves he rebounds.

And that 5 million dollar setup guy has a full NTC. How dumb is that.

That as stupid, which was my point. 5 million dollars on a setup man that could be on a non contending team. I just hope this team can resemble something of a contender. The White Sox should be able to play some really good defense if Rowand signs. Their OBP has to be better than last year and our 2005 team. The bullpen could turn into a strength. Starting pitching could be a weakness - that all seems to depend on the kids. All and all I am going to go into the season with optimism, as always, but I can definitely see the holes and this team needs some things to fall in place to be able to compete with Detroit and Cleveland.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 10:35 AM)
According to Bruce Levine, this is the most recent update regarding the Sox and Rowand. Also, the Sox are still interested in DeJesus.

With Miggy to the Tigers, the Sox need The Jesus to win the division next year; DeJesus won't get them there.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 03:42 PM)
If the money were the same -- which I think it could be -- I'd much rather have Andruw Jones over Rowand.

Sorry Fathom, but I think Rowand should be our target. He is a better fit for the Sox in my opinion. Not that Andruw doesn't have a lot of upside mind you. (that's my out if we sign Jones)

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 11:28 AM)
No way I pay Rowand 4/55 do not overpay just to do something at this point! :gosoxretro:

The problem is that you assume that if the Sox don't pay Rowand the $13.5 million, they are going to be able to spend it elsewhere. Sure, I'd prefer they buy Fukudome over Rowand, but assuming that's not possible anymore (if Fuku is really down to the Royals(!!) and Cubs), it's not my money, and Rowand is surely better than Jerry Owens. And the Sox won't be giving up anything to get him (see my prior "no trades" post).

Where is bingo? The post is nonsense. The prospects we would get back for the players he wants to trade away will most likely be worthless. Uribe and Crede would be salary dumps at best. Those players are worthless and would most likely bring back worthless prospects and nothing decent. That is not how the White Sox would be able to rebuild. Ridiculous.

Easy there tiger. Just relax.

I read the first sentence in each paragraph to see where it was going and I agreed with it. KW, Not signing a cf, etc.

If there was something that upset you in there, I don't know what to tell ya.

And the guys he wants to deal I agree will get us minimal in return. I am pro-firesale and the guys we could land for Paulie (limited NT), JD, Thome (NT), even Buerhle or Javy. I'd keep one. Preferably Mark but he has a full NT in 08' I think but may have more value. There are some others I'd love to deal, like Jenks.

SO that is how the Sox would rebuild. The payroll would be down around 40 mil. Hell, I'd even sign Jones then that way you have something else to fall back on this season.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 11:54 AM)
I wish we could wait 2 weeks before deciding who to try and sign. The Mitchell Report could play prominently with some of these free agents left.

I must admit, I share your concern here about the report. I just keep hoping the Sox get lucky, and maybe CLE and DET don't. You never know, though.

That all said, the Sox cannot afford to wait those 2 weeks. They need to get a CF and probably an SP right quick.

wasnt it the cubs that ruined the market? after soriano got that contract then ichiro got that contract, wells, zito, zambrano..

Zito and Zambrano are pitchers and Soriano is not a LFer, so it can't be compared. Ichiro (5 for 75) is far and away above Hunter, yet Hunter got paid like Ichiro. Vernon Wells is better than Hunter as well and 3 years younger. The Angels indeed ruined it.