Rowand offered 4 yrs/55 million from Sox

fathom

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 08:57 AM)
That all said, the Sox cannot afford to wait those 2 weeks. They need to get a CF and probably an SP right quick.

There continues to be fewer than zero starting pitchers on this FA market I'd actually be interested in seeing on the White Sox next year.

Kyle Lohse at 3/$30, that'll save us!

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Easy there tiger. Just relax.

I read the first sentence in each paragraph to see where it was going and I agreed with it. KW, Not signing a cf, etc.

If there was something that upset you in there, I don't know what to tell ya.

And the guys he wants to deal I agree will get us minimal in return. I am pro-firesale and the guys we could land for Paulie (limited NT), JD, Thome (NT), even Buerhle or Javy. I'd keep one. Preferably Mark but he has a full NT in 08' I think but may have more value. There are some others I'd love to deal, like Jenks.

SO that is how the Sox would rebuild. The payroll would be down around 40 mil. Hell, I'd even sign Jones then that way you have something else to fall back on this season.

You said bingo and were praising his post there buttercup. Seems like you were doing more than just agreeing with 1 sentence in each paragraph.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 10:23 AM)
I said the Red Sox and the Yankees stockpiled draft picks and made good decisions even thought they never went through a set of losing seasons aka a bad period.

I think the problem for the White Sox in regards to their minor leagues is talent evaluation more than losing a couple of draft picks.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 12:00 PM)
There continues to be fewer than zero starting pitchers on this FA market I'd actually be interested in seeing on the White Sox next year.

I didn't mean signing an SP. I mean trading for one, using PK more than likely.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 11:00 AM)
Zito and Zambrano are pitchers and Soriano is not a LFer, so it can't be compared. Ichiro (5 for 75) is far and away above Hunter, yet Hunter got paid like Ichiro. Vernon Wells is better than Hunter as well and 3 years younger. The Angels indeed ruined it.

im not talking about the market for cfers. meaning, the market was ok until last offseason. thats when everyone started getting 15+ mil a yr

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 12:01 PM)
I think the problem for the White Sox in regards to their minor leagues is talent evaluation more than losing a couple of draft picks.

I agree, and its good to see the organization making major overhauls of their talent and development staff this offseason.

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 10:52 AM)
With Miggy to the Tigers, the Sox need The Jesus to win the division next year; DeJesus won't get them there.

thats true...

dejesus wont get them there but neither will rowand. might as well try to get younger, start thinking about the future.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 09:01 AM)
I didn't mean signing an SP. I mean trading for one, using PK more than likely.

Well, then on top of that, I really have trouble thinking of SP's that a team interested in Konerko would be willing to give up. Clearly we're not getting Kershaw for him, the Dodgers might consider moving Billingsly but he'd probably have his price inflated by their need for starting pitching, any of the young guys from the Angels are a bit of a risk and are either not yet ready or have struggled a lot recently (Adenhart/Santana), and beyond that, I have trouble thinking of a team in need of a 1b bat that has an obvious starting pitcher to give up.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 11:00 AM)

Is he the flavor of the day? The Silva 5/$60 gave me a chuckle yesterday.

This just sounds like you blowing off steam this morning.

It may be a bargain for today's cf, which is why we don't get involved and overpay. Look at our best players. What do they make per season? Kong gets 12. Thome gets 13. MB gets 14. You think Rowand deserves to be in their range? Definately not.

it's like the Angels have looked at business the last few years and even this year. They aren't going to overpay for players especially when they have a premier player making 14 mil. Not many people are better then Vlad, so why pay them more? Significantly more in some cases. Even Hunters contract forced renegotiations with the club and Vlad.

And your mathews thing is a great point. A very good defensive player who had a monster season. Now look at him. You want to take the similar gamble on a guy who we have already had and know his abilities aren't worth the money. We of all teams should know from having this guy that he is unlikely to repeat 07'.

This move does nothing for us. He is going to do what? Hit 6th or 7th? Hit his 18 homers and knock in 70. Have a sub-par OBP for an OF. Dumb dumb dumb.

All the while, we will fill up more salary cap and be unable to develop a guy like Owens because of this? I am not even an avid Owens supporter but I am over a "save my ass" signing like this.

If this happens. Rowand will go from folk hero to a hated player. He will under perform, possibly get hurt and have the most unmoveable contract in 3 years when we want to deal him.

Matthews = HGH made. Is Rowand? I don't think so. He may have just been a late bloomer with his hitting. Hell if I know. I guess we will see this year. I am not saying Matthews was a bad signing. He has value. He is not worth 10 million per as a LFer though. Now that is overpaying. .252 18 HRs, 78 RBI, and 18 SBs with gold glove caliber CF play is probably worth 10 mil. Put him in LF and he is no longer worth that. Is .285 avg, .330 OBP, 15 HRs, 70 RBI, 10 SBs with gold glove caliber CF play worth 13.7 millon? I guess you can make an argument that it is given the going rate of CFers.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 12:05 PM)
Well, then on top of that, I really have trouble thinking of SP's that a team interested in Konerko would be willing to give up. Clearly we're not getting Kershaw for him, the Dodgers might consider moving Billingsly but he'd probably have his price inflated by their need for starting pitching, any of the young guys from the Angels are a bit of a risk and are either not yet ready or have struggled a lot recently (Adenhart/Santana), and beyond that, I have trouble thinking of a team in need of a 1b bat that has an obvious starting pitcher to give up.

You don't think maybe the O's would like PK? They tried for him before. And Bedard is being shopped.

QUOTE(rockren @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 09:05 AM)
Is he the flavor of the day? The Silva 5/$60 gave me a chuckle yesterday.

This just sounds like you blowing off steam this morning.

According to press reports, I've actually underestimated what Lohse's asking price is.

The Phils continue to talk with agent Scott Boras about free-agent right-hander Kyle Lohse. But Gillick doesn't expect Lohse's asking price, possibly four years and $40 million, to go down. "With the lack of pitching out there, I don't see how the market is coming back," he said

Tomorrow, someone will say how we're so desperate for a starting pitcher, and I'll respond that the clear solution is 6/$70 for Livan Hernandez.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 09:11 AM)
You don't think maybe the O's would like PK? They tried for him before. And Bedard is being shopped.

Konerko helps the Orioles less than not at all. Of course, with their management, I wouldn't rule out them making a deal of that level of silliness.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 12:09 PM)
Matthews = HGH made. Is Rowand? I don't think so. He may have just been a late bloomer with his hitting. Hell if I know. I guess we will see this year. I am not saying Matthews was a bad signing. He has value. He is not worth 10 million per as a LFer though. Now that is overpaying. .252 18 HRs, 78 RBI, and 18 SBs with gold glove caliber CF play is probably worth 10 mil. Put him in LF and he is no longer worth that. Is .285 avg, .330 OBP, 15 HRs, 70 RBI, 10 SBs with gold glove caliber CF play worth 13.7 millon? I guess you can make an argument that it is given the going rate of CFers.

I have no evidence of anything, buy my gut tells me that if anyone on the 2005 Sox was on "the s***" as we called it in college, it would be Rowand. Bicepts, Triceps out of line with the rest of his body, a little intense. But that's about all; more of a stereotype than anything. If Rowand comes out to be in the Mitchell report, and KW has signed him, I really and truly believe that will break KW's heart. He really believes in "his" guys, perhaps to a fault.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 11:11 AM)
Tomorrow, someone will say how we're so desperate for a starting pitcher, and I'll respond that the clear solution is 6/$70 for Livan Hernandez.

These just won't stop being funny to me.

Maybe we'll steal Freddy back at 3 yrs/36 mil. It'd be fun watching ALL base runners take 2nd on him and watch Fred not give a frig about it.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 12:13 PM)
Konerko helps the Orioles less than not at all. Of course, with their management, I wouldn't rule out them making a deal of that level of silliness.

Why? Millard is no great shakes there. They seemed interested before too. Do they have some 1B prospect stud I am unaware of?

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 11:13 AM)
I have no evidence of anything, buy my gut tells me that if anyone on the 2005 Sox was on "the s***" as we called it in college, it would be Rowand. Bicepts, Triceps out of line with the rest of his body, a little intense. But that's about all; more of a stereotype than anything. If Rowand comes out to be in the Mitchell report, and KW has signed him, I really and truly believe that will break KW's heart. He really believes in "his" guys, perhaps to a fault.

I don't know what KW's personal thoughts on steroid use are -- I don't know what Sabean thinks, what Shapiro thinks, what Bowden thinks, etc. etc. but I would bet money that the vast majority of managers, owners and general managers know that many, if not most of the players are juicing and don't care so long as they don't get caught and embarrass the franchise.

You said bingo and were praising his post there buttercup. Seems like you were doing more than just agreeing with 1 sentence in each paragraph.

I do agree with more then it. All I said was that I read the first sentence in each paragraph to get a jist of where they were going.

My thoughts before I posted were that KW is basically losing his job this offseason. Which I got the vibe from his post. The not signing of Rowand I agreed with and the dealing of other players. The payroll thing he pointed out I agreed with.

There was nothing wrong with his post "buttercup" and was actually on target to my own opinions. Which is why I said bingo and I gave him the bow smiley because I didnt have to type anything up for a change.

So like I said. Relax.

Edited by Chombi

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 11:16 AM)
Why? Millard is no great shakes there. They seemed interested before too. Do they have some 1B prospect stud I am unaware of?

Because they can get a great young package of cheap players rather than an aging first baseman with a big contract and an arthritic hip. And the Orioles need to rebuild, not pick up a first baseman but lose an ace and AT BEST move sideways.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 12:18 PM)
Because they can get a great young package of cheap players rather than an aging first baseman with a big contract and an arthritic hip. And the Orioles need to rebuild, not pick up a first baseman but lose an ace and AT BEST move sideways.

There is what is smart for them long term, and there is what they tend to do.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 11:16 AM)

I think the O's would do a Fields/Gio or Danks/Broadway/Anderson or Sweeney

Make the deal- give us 72 hours to extend Bedard to the cool tune of 5yrs/75 million and we're good.

15 mil a year for Bedard? Ummmmmm yeah. Especially if we're even considering 13.5 for Rowand.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 5, 2007 -> 11:20 AM)
There is what is smart for them long term, and there is what they tend to do.

What they tend to do is refuse to make trades after Angelos gets involved. ;)

I don't see there being much movement between us and Baltimore -- certainly not Konerko for Bedard.