Rowand offered 4 yrs/55 million from Sox

fathom

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Orioles seeming intent on trading Roberts and Tejada could be because of the Mitchell report. Roberts jumped from 4 HR's in 640 ab's to 18 hr's in 560 ab's from 2004 to 2005. Would his possible use of performing enhancing drugs cause anyone to think twice about going after him?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=4773

Supposedly he had laser eye surgery and got some knew contacts, however that doesn't explain his SLG% dropping 80-100 points over the past two seasons.

I'm not saying that Roberts wasn't (or isn't) using roids but 8 of the 18 hr's in 2005 were in April. Those numbers look a bit more consistent if you take out that month. I'm sure teams are skeptical though, especially at the price the Orioles will most likely ask for.

QUOTE(G&T @ Dec 8, 2007 -> 08:15 AM)
I'm not saying that Roberts wasn't (or isn't) using roids but 8 of the 18 hr's in 2005 were in April. Those numbers look a bit more consistent if you take out that month. I'm sure teams are skeptical though, especially at the price the Orioles will most likely ask for.

Part of me thinks this is exactly what baseball deserves...having every person who has a power surge accused of steroid abuse. I will say this, I wouldn't want to pick him up before the Mitchell report comes out, but I'd say that about almost anyone.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 8, 2007 -> 02:02 PM)
Part of me thinks this is exactly what baseball deserves...having every person who has a power surge accused of steroid abuse. I will say this, I wouldn't want to pick him up before the Mitchell report comes out, but I'd say that about almost anyone.

They do deserve it. It's an obvious explanation and plenty of players have done it. Every fan and team should be questioning these players with this amount of money or talent on the line.

QUOTE(ChiSox35 @ Dec 8, 2007 -> 01:56 PM)
I thought there were already whispers about Roberts and Performance Enhancers in the past. No?

I think it just comes with the territory these days. When a player's numbers increase like that so quickly and seemingly out of nowhere, it's easy to assume he did so by cheating.

QUOTE(ChiSox35 @ Dec 8, 2007 -> 01:56 PM)
I thought there were already whispers about Roberts and Performance Enhancers in the past. No?

To me it would make sense that stuff like that ran in certian teams clubhouses. You already have Tejada and Palmiero connected to it, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they were passing it on to other in Bal.

I totally agree. I don't see the huge jump that everyone else does. I mean he went from 4 to 18 and back to 10 and 12. It seems pretty consistent and like you said, if you take out 8 during the crazy April he had with 8 HRs then it seems even more consistent. I mean this isn't Brady Anderson going from 16 to 50 and then back 18. Brian Roberts' stolen bases went from 27 to 36 to 50 last year. Maybe the steroids or HGH is making him faster and helping him steal more bases. I find the accusation to be ridiculous. That is just my opinion.

If Gibbons, Guillen, and the non-suspensions are any clue, the Mitchell report is a monumental waste of time.

One of the best one sentence posts on this message board I've seen.

Fathom has been posting with all sorts of cloak and dagger insinuations that the Mitchell report will be the complete downfall of certain players i.e. "they're not going after player x because the Mitchell report is coming out". The Mitchell report, IMO, will be a public unveiling of the curtain, after which there will be a slap on the wrist like Guillen's and Gibbon's suspensions, and that will be that.