You knew it was coming

fathom

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 02:15 PM)
Okay, I see your point. But I still think he's just reeling from the frustration. He'll make some deals - whether they're good or bad we'll see. But after last year's debacle with the bullpen I don't see where he should be getting much slack from Reinsdorf.

I mean, I don't think he's quitting or a baby, but he knows and understands that the dice are loaded against him and the White Sox.

As for the four -- I meant three, since Ryan stepped down and I'd forgotten that slightly. But Moore is one of the better GMs in baseball, and D/S are definitely established.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that's funny, i didn't get that at all. Just sounds like some frustration from a very competitive guy (and I'm not a ra-ra Kenny guy). What exactly sounded like a concession?

The vibe I got was that we don't have a chance and that it is a shame. That seemed to be the driving point of it.

A team with a 100 million dollar payroll and a WS ring from two years ago is looked at as "out of it" because the league is that good.

That's what I got out of it.

QUOTE(Chombi @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 02:45 PM)
The vibe I got was that we don't have a chance and that it is a shame. That seemed to be the driving point of it.

A team with a 100 million dollar payroll and a WS ring from two years ago is looked at as "out of it" because the league is that good.

That's what I got out of it.

OK, this is going to sound negative...but the Sox are "out of it" because of 5+ years of horrible drafting, player development, and having no international presence. Cleveland doesn't have a $100M payroll and they aren't out of it. The Sox don't have the money to match DET, NYY, BOS, and LAA. So yes, that makes it harder to compete. But there's no reason why they can't compete organizationally just the way the Twins and A's have for far less money.

OK, this is going to sound negative...but the Sox are "out of it" because of 5+ years of horrible drafting, player development, and having no international presence. Cleveland doesn't have a $100M payroll and they aren't out of it. The Sox don't have the money to match DET, NYY, BOS, and LAA. So yes, that makes it harder to compete. But there's no reason why they can't compete organizationally just the way the Twins and A's have for far less money.

I don't argue that. I think that all feeds into the fact that we are looked at as non-contenders in our division with a good team on paper. To me that was the point of the article or at least the vibe I got.

The Cleveland part is irrelevant to me. They don't have a 100 mil payroll...yet. That wasn't the point. The Sox do. They are willing to spend. Spending should help compete and in their case it wont. You're just getting much deeper into our problems instead of just taking the basic version that I felt the article was hitting.

Whatever factors go into it play their part but you're going deeper then the article was pointing out in my eyes. You're looking at the whole picture and I agree with most of it.

Edited by Chombi