LA Dodgers sign Andruw Jones

GreatScott82

Jones' former Braves teammates, however, indicated that he preferred to stay in the National League and was getting antsy for a resolution. Another former Atlanta teammate, Dodgers shortstop Rafael Furcal, placed more than one recruiting phone call to Jones, understandable because they were the closest of friends when they played together.

$18 million a year is a lot as it is, and I'm sure the Sox would have had to give more. That's a big gamble.

QUOTE(Friend of Nordhagen @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 08:58 AM)
Wonder if the signing bonus is Andruw's insurance against the Mitchell Report . . .

Interesting take, though I think the contract is probably guaranteed anyway. I was thinking it might make the contract more moveable. The Dodgers could pay the signing bonus but another team might pick up the rest if he were traded.

QUOTE(BlackBetsy @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 06:42 AM)
Wow. I didn't think there could be a worse deal than the Torii Hunter deal. Then some dumbass GM makes a worse deal. Now some other dumbass GM is going to give Rowand 6 years 100 million or something stupider. I hope it's not Kenny.

Fuku Fuku Fuku.

Anything that is only 2 years long is not a worse deal. Even if he blows up and hits .220 again, what are the Dodgers on the hook for, 1 more year?

QUOTE(Brian @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 09:08 AM)
What do they do with Juan Pierre?

If they were smart, they'd dump him on any takers.

But instead they'll move him to LF, and probably make Andre Ethier available.

Jason knows a lot more about him than I do, but if he could handle CF, he would be an excellent target for a trade.

Not a big power guy, but he's basically a more advanced version of Ryan Sweeney 2 or 3 years from now. Good BA and good OBP. Fairly comparable to Matt Murton I guess.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 05:57 PM)
Not a big power guy, but he's basically a more advanced version of Ryan Sweeney 2 or 3 years from now. Good BA and good OBP. Fairly comparable to Matt Murton I guess.

Kemp could be a big power guy. When MB's name was being bounced in the rumor mill last off-season, Kemp's name came up a lot as a primary part of a package from LA.

QUOTE(rockren @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 10:58 AM)
Kemp could be a big power guy. When MB's name was being bounced in the rumor mill last off-season, Kemp's name came up a lot as a primary part of a package from LA.

I'm pretty sure they'd rather keep Kemp instead of Ethier, just because of the power potential Kemp has. Kemp would probably cost us DLS (unless we were willing to trade Konerko, they could move Loney to RF again).

I think they've been rumored still to be after a third baseman though, and Crede could be a good fit for them. Still a lot of question over Andy LaRoche's back, so if they let him have a good season in AAA for a whole year, and then they can either trade him or promote him depending on how well Crede does in 2008.

Crede for Ethier, maybe with us giving up one of our bullpen arms possibly (may have to throw in a prospect as well).

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 06:06 PM)
I'm pretty sure they'd rather keep Kemp instead of Ethier, just because of the power potential Kemp has. Kemp would probably cost us DLS (unless we were willing to trade Konerko, they could move Loney to RF again).

I think they've been rumored still to be after a third baseman though, and Crede could be a good fit for them. Still a lot of question over Andy LaRoche's back, so if they let him have a good season in AAA for a whole year, and then they can either trade him or promote him depending on how well Crede does in 2008.

Crede for Ethier, maybe with us giving up one of our bullpen arms possibly (may have to throw in a prospect as well).

I would love to get Ethier. I think he will be a very good player in the years to come. I hope that package would do it.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 07:41 PM)
I would love to get Ethier. I think he will be a very good player in the years to come. I hope that package would do it.

Hate to say it, but I'd actually consider Ethier to be slightly overrated these days due to his really hot start in early 06 that put him into the ROY discussion. He'll be solid, but I think this year might be what you can expect from him. Hitting around .300 depending on how hot he gets, OPS .750 in a bad year to .850 in a good year, 10-20 home runs, 60-80 RBI. Good numbers, but not spectacular. Not the kind of guy who makes or breaks a team.

Haha, from TalkingChop

I predicted Andruw would end up in LA back in July.

Here's what he has to look forward to out here.

Won't need all those cars cause you can't drive fast anywhere

A pitcher's ball park

Fans arrive by the first pitch of the 3rd inning and leave on the 3rd out of the 7th

Know your local fire department well.

Brush up on your Spanish

You think there is media coverage of the Braves welcome to Los Angeles, media capital of the world, don't want to hear about slumps.

Los Angeles Lakers rule, baseball distant second place

Laid back Andruw may fit in here however.