Does anyone have any doubt now ?

WHITESOXRANDY

After seeing what Jones signed for today with the Dodgers I think all doubt about whether Kenny would deal with Boras should be erased. If he wasn't willing to top 2 /$36 then we know he wasn't interested in the best CFer on the market because of his agent.

I am not willing to give him 18 million per either.

i'd more assume rowand to continue with a good year this year, rather than jones returning to his usual form after last year. that being the case, i wouldnt have liked the sox to give him that contract. 2 years and he walks, and we are no better off in the farm to replace him in 2 years. at least with rowand, and a 4/5 yr deal, we can develop a real replacement for him, not owens/anderson/etc (not sweeny in CF)

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 09:21 AM)
After seeing what Jones signed for today with the Dodgers I think all doubt about whether Kenny would deal with Boras should be erased. If he wasn't willing to top 2 /$36 then we know he wasn't interested in the best CFer on the market because of his agent.

Giving Andruw Jones 18 per is assanine (plus he wanted to stay NL so it prolly would have taken 19-20 with another year)...i'm glad he didnt sign him at that amount.

Jones might have been a really good addition, but, there is a lot of risk there for $18M. He was not good at the plate last year, and he is high on my list of likely candidates for the Mitchell report.

I'd rather see Fuku at $10-$12M for 3, or Rowand at $12-$13M for 4. Or maybe Hamilton in a trade. Maybe even DeJesus.

36 million over two years for Jones? Uh, no thanks.

I've seen him plenty over the years in my area, and if the nonchalant attitude of Uribe bothers you Sox fans, then Andruw Jones would have driven you to insanity. He is a strikeout machine(something we have enough of), and to trick the Dodgers into paying him 36 million after that AWESOME 2007 season....wow.

From ESPN (and why Bora$$ is a jackass):

• There are rumblings in Nashville that the $36.2 million deal for Andruw Jones was Scott Boras' way of making sure that Jones' contract exceeds Torii Hunter's contract in average annual value. Jones will make $18.1 million a season compared to Hunter's $18 million per year with the Angels.

I think it's a close call.

Would you rather have Jones at $18 million a year for only 2 years with the hope he rebounds offensively while still playing great defense ?

OR

Would you rather have Aaron Rowand for 4 years at $13 million a season knowing that last year was probably a career year ?

I'd rather take a short-term shot a Jones.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 01:16 PM)
I think it's a close call.

Would you rather have Jones at $18 million a year for only 2 years with the hope he rebounds offensively while still playing great defense ?

OR

Would you rather have Aaron Rowand for 4 years at $13 million a season knowing that last year was probably a career year ?

I'd rather take a short-term shot a Jones.

Give me Jones as well.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 12:04 PM)
From ESPN (and why Bora$$ is a jackass):

• There are rumblings in Nashville that the $36.2 million deal for Andruw Jones was Scott Boras' way of making sure that Jones' contract exceeds Torii Hunter's contract in average annual value. Jones will make $18.1 million a season compared to Hunter's $18 million per year with the Angels.

Rotoworld said it better:

"According to FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal, Andruw Jones' deal with the Dodgers is actually worth $36.2 million and contains a no-trade clause.

That's just a little pathetic, Scott. With the extra $200,000, Jones and Boras can say they got a better deal than Torii Hunter, even though no one was touching Jones at four or five years."

QUOTE(WCSox @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 11:30 AM)
So, is there any reason why Jones accepted a paltry two-year deal?

No one was giving him a long term deal worth more than $50-$60 million. In his estimation, with salary inflation, he could earn that in probably 3-4 years if he has 2 decent years on this contract. He hits FA again at an age younger than ARod was when he scored 10/$300 from the Yankees.

As I have mentioned before, it is not the amount of the contract for most players, it's how much compared to their peers. They just want a little more than the other guys at their position. If Hunter had just signed for $3 mil a year and that was the top salary, Jones would have been happy at $3.1 mil