Does anyone have any doubt now ?

WHITESOXRANDY

Andruw Jones represents everything we don't want:

- Fat

- Low Batting Average

- Low OBP

- High Strikeouts

- Expensive

I'm prepared to see Owens in CF and leading off, at least through Spring Training.

Yeah, never mind that his OBP is the same or higher than the other free agents, his defense is better than all of them and Cameron, Rowand and Hunter "k" quite a bit also. And, he's expensive ? You mean not like Hunter ? $ 90 mil. or Rowand ?

Oh, and the Sox don't need those 40-50 homers that he would hit too. Owens 14 doubles will be all the offense the Sox need at the position.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 11:38 AM)
No one was giving him a long term deal worth more than $50-$60 million.

So, Hunter got $90 million, but Jones couldn't even get $50-60 million. I realize that he had a down year at the plate, but geez.

In his estimation, with salary inflation, he could earn that in probably 3-4 years if he has 2 decent years on this contract. He hits FA again at an age younger than ARod was when he scored 10/$300 from the Yankees.

Not sure I agree with his plan, but it might not be a terrible decision if he can manage to stay away from the buffet table for the next two years.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 01:03 PM)
I've been hard on Kenny Williams for a while, but 18.1 million per year is just so f***ing ridiculous.

Perhaps, but it's only a $36 million investment. Hunter was a $90 million investment. I would've been very happy to have Jones at $18 mil for two years.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Dec 7, 2007 -> 08:34 AM)
Perhaps, but it's only a $36 million investment. Hunter was a $90 million investment. I would've been very happy to have Jones at $18 mil for two years.

Ok so say we did offer him 36M over 2 seasons.

Would he have signed with us instead of the Dodgers? I highly doubt it, for these main reasons.

1 - He wanted to stay in the NL. Has a comfort level there.

2 - The Dodgers are more likely to be better in 2008 then the Sox are. Well talent wise they are.

So I'd think we would off had to offer him at least 40/2 to bring him to the Southside. And considering his subpar 2007 numbers, and the fact that we don't want another slugger in the lineup when we already have a slow 3-4-5 core of Thome, Konerko and Dye, I can see why we didn't go down this route.

There are better fits out there on the market for us trade wise. Nate McLouth for example. I can't recall if Luke Scott can handle CF or not, but the guy has around an .850 OPS in a couple of season at the major league level.

Also I don't really want to bring this up, how do you think the ego's of the likes of Konerko, Buehrle, and Thome etc. are going to be, if they were to be outpaid by a guy who could hit around .230 the previous season? Surely, there'd be some sort of resentment there?

QUOTE(joeynach @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 10:28 PM)
I really think its as simple as budget, KW has one. And adding $18 Mil to the next 2 years just doens't seem like its in KW's budget or im sure he would do it.

If the plan was to get both Hunter and Cabrera, I really wonder what the budget is. It could be they would have then shipped another big contract, maybe Konerko out for cheaper parts, but all indications are KW has money to play with and his moaning about finances is just a smokescreen.

i'd rather have jones for two years at 18 mil per than have hunter for five years at the same salary. that being said i think that the two of them are both grossly overpaid and considering where this sox team is at talent/age/salary wise, i'd rather just pass on the both of them, personally i'm glad that they have both signed with other teams and i'm hoping for the same with rowand, no way do we need to spend high dollars on a cf right now, especially ones that are all on the downslope of their careers

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Dec 6, 2007 -> 08:21 AM)
After seeing what Jones signed for today with the Dodgers I think all doubt about whether Kenny would deal with Boras should be erased. If he wasn't willing to top 2 /$36 then we know he wasn't interested in the best CFer on the market because of his agent.

Jones wont hit 30 HR next year playing in LA, SD, and SF half the time. Fields is more of a HR threat than Jones.