Winter Meetings

Soxfest

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Dec 9, 2007 -> 04:53 PM)
Are you telling me that Arod wasn't their top wish going into this offseason?

Maybe, but I'm also sure he was at the top of KW's list. He wasn't targeted though because it wasn't realistic. If you count that as a missed target along the lines of Hunter and Cabrera for the White Sox, every team probably is into the 100's. I bet KW would love Verlander and would like to give up Masset for him but doesn't bother. If ARod was the Angels #1 target, I would find it curious as to why they apparently didn't make an offer to him being an unrestricted free agent.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Dec 9, 2007 -> 08:45 AM)
You asked if they were a lock for the playoffs. NY has had a questionable staff and an awesome lineup for the last 7 years.

Actually looking back I said to win the division. Which they did not do all of the last 7 years and are not a lock to do it this year. I won't think of detroit as some kind of powerhouse just because of their potent offense. They are a threat, that's all.

QUOTE(max power @ Dec 9, 2007 -> 07:29 PM)
Actually looking back I said to win the division. Which they did not do all of the last 7 years and are not a lock to do it this year. I won't think of detroit as some kind of powerhouse just because of their potent offense. They are the favorite, that's all.

Fixed. Detroit is not a threat, they are the favorites, with Cleveland a heavy threat, and the rest are small "threats" (if they can be called that).

Lets break it down:

Starters:

DET-

Verlander

Bonderman

Rogers

Willis

Robertson

CLE-

Sabathia

Carmona

Westbrook

Byrd

Lee

DET has the potential to be better, with Ver pretty close to Sabathia, and Carmona had a fantastic season but I dont see him having the same success that he did. Bonderman can be a force, so basically I give a very slight edge to the Indians

Offense:

DET wins this, unless Hafner comes back with a monster season, but even then I think DET is better

Bullpen:

Borowski or Jones? You chose, when Zumaya comes back DET will once again have a good bullpen, not great but good, the Indians with the addition of the Japanese reliever could be better, but Im not to impressed with their guys.

So I think the rotations and bullpens are close, and the offense of DET is better, giving DET the win. THis is my opinion, and I believe they are the favorites.

Their rotations are what seperates them in my mind. The indians have 2 people likely to pitch at the league average and 2 below. Their careers say that to me.

The tigers have 1 below league average pitcher, and very generously, 2 at league average, counting Kenny Rogers, who is 43 and coming off an injury and Dontrelle Willis, who pitched like crap in the NL last year.

Edited by max power

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Dec 9, 2007 -> 09:14 PM)
When people say favorites, I look at championships, not division titles. I'd say Detroit would handle Cleveland pretty easily.

I think you are even more wrong in the playoffs. How is a team with a rotation as crappy as Detroit's going to handle a 7 game series with Cleveland? Good hitting gets shut down by good pitching in the playoffs more often than not.

QUOTE(bigruss22 @ Dec 9, 2007 -> 07:08 PM)
Lets break it down:

Starters:

DET-

Verlander

Bonderman

Rogers

Willis

Robertson

CLE-

Sabathia

Carmona

Westbrook

Byrd

Lee

DET has the potential to be better, with Ver pretty close to Sabathia, and Carmona had a fantastic season but I dont see him having the same success that he did. Bonderman can be a force, so basically I give a very slight edge to the Indians

Offense:

DET wins this, unless Hafner comes back with a monster season, but even then I think DET is better

Bullpen:

Borowski or Jones? You chose, when Zumaya comes back DET will once again have a good bullpen, not great but good, the Indians with the addition of the Japanese reliever could be better, but Im not to impressed with their guys.

So I think the rotations and bullpens are close, and the offense of DET is better, giving DET the win. THis is my opinion, and I believe they are the favorites.

You aren't impressed with what could be the best tandem of relievers in the league? Betancourt and Perez are shutdown. If Kobayashi is anything like he was in Japan, Cleveland's bullpen is one of the best in the league. I'm baffled why Borowski is still the closer though, as I think there are 4 better pitchers in the pen.

Edited by sircaffey

Detroit is only better if Verlander and Bonderman step up. They both can do it. Verlander I think is ready and Bonderman can do it if his arm isn't a noodle. If he is healthy, he can be a force. Rogers, Willis, and Robertson I see all having AL averages for SP's. Slightly higher or lower depending on which you pick, but they should balance out to league avg. imo.

If those two big guns in the front of their rotation do not carry that team then they will perhaps struggle more then we expect. Offensively, they're loaded. Better then Cleveland, who is also pretty loaded. Sabathia and Carmona I think will have a minor regression in statistics/seasons. Even still, Cleveland will be very good. Our division is just ridiculous top to bottom.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 12:09 PM)
yikes - CLE and DET are going to be good for the next few years.

this yet again makes me very happy that when they had the chance, the sox stepped up and won it all.

Honestly, I nominate this for post of the year. We all seem to forget rather quickly that the Sox won it all just two seasons ago. We all wanted the dynasty, but I'll take the championship first and foremost.

Honestly, I nominate this for post of the year. We all seem to forget rather quickly that the Sox won it all just two seasons ago. We all wanted the dynasty, but I'll take the championship first and foremost.

Yea it's accurate. No doubt. Has been said quite a few times too.

Most of the people calling for a firesale have said that. We won when we had the chance. It's tough to repeat and we almost got a chance in 06' but didnt happen....therefore, time to rebuild.

Great post but just add another to the firesale list.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 01:22 PM)

I actually don't think that many people forgot about it; quite the contrary, I think people either want the Sox to get better so we can get back to that (your negative people, which is why most bad moves are torn to absolute shreds, and the reason people want to go into a rebuilding mode, to be quite honest), or people don't want to trade those players who played a major contribution to the World Series team (hence so many people opposed to trading Jon Garland and Joe f***ing Crede).

The World Series is still fresh, and if it weren't, this site wouldn't have near the number of posters it does, and we wouldn't care nearly as much as we do about the team. That World Series showed we can be the best, and we as fans want to get back there.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 01:22 PM)

Nobody wants a dynasty, that's crazy talk and unrealistic. We just want a team that doesn't suck, and we didn't have that last year, won't this year, and won't for the foreseeable future when you consider our FA spending habits, GM, and farm system. And all 3 are disasters right now.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 01:13 AM)
Nobody wants a dynasty, that's crazy talk and unrealistic. We just want a team that doesn't suck, and we didn't have that last year, won't this year, and won't for the foreseeable future when you consider our FA spending habits, GM, and farm system. And all 3 are disasters right now.

agree 100%

it's one thing to get to and win the world series (in dominating fashion, no less), but its another when you are a completely miserable JOKE of a team many years before AND after that

people want their team to win the world series and then at least be competitive for the years surrounding that title, so it makes the team at least appear to be competitive and ....uh, what's the word

Good?