CompUSA Going Going Gone

Texsox

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 10, 2007 -> 10:48 AM)
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...&refer=home

I remember in the early 1990s hanging out there looking at all the cool tech.

The minute they built a Fry's in Downers Grove I forgot that Comp USA even existed. Hell Microcenter > Comp USA.

Speaking of computer stores shut down, who here remembers ElekTek. Now that shutting down made me sad.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 10, 2007 -> 10:53 AM)
The minute they built a Fry's in Downers Grove I forgot that Comp USA even existed. Hell Microcenter > Comp USA.

Speaking of computer stores shut down, who here remembers ElekTek. Now that shutting down made me sad.

I knew they were toast when I walked into a CompUSa needing an I/O card for a PC and the clerk didn't have clue, nor did the manager.

I miss Egghead Software

Most techies I know don't even bother going into stores anymore. Everything is ordered online. And CompUSA wasn't going to be competitive with the PC and hardware companies, or the amazon's and buy.com's of the world. What few people buy this stuff in stores now go to Best Buy, or Abt or the like - glitzy electronics stores with wonderful toys.

This was inevitable.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 10, 2007 -> 11:13 AM)
Most techies I know don't even bother going into stores anymore. Everything is ordered online. And CompUSA wasn't going to be competitive with the PC and hardware companies, or the amazon's and buy.com's of the world. What few people buy this stuff in stores now go to Best Buy, or Abt or the like - glitzy electronics stores with wonderful toys.

This was inevitable.

I disagree, technies are the guys that have to have it now. A card goes out, they are upgrading, etc. It's the average consumer that walked away because of Best Buy, etc. I liked CompUSA because they price matched and gave a store credit instead of a rebate. I always walked in there with Best Buys ad.

This was inevitable.

I do probably 90% of my shopping online. However for the in store shopping experience, there is no beating a Fry's. Its pretty much the definition of a perfect tech store. Its a geeks utopia of shopping. However their sales people are more inept than your average Best Buy. The Best Buy geek squad guy will pimp his stuff and his service, but will stop the minute he realizes that you dont need his help. The Fry's sales guy attempts to convince you that he is on the same level, and he is running said piece of equipment in his house.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 10, 2007 -> 11:21 AM)
I disagree, technies are the guys that have to have it now. A card goes out, they are upgrading, etc. It's the average consumer that walked away because of Best Buy, etc. I liked CompUSA because they price matched and gave a store credit instead of a rebate. I always walked in there with Best Buys ad.

Nowadays, you order it today, you get it tomorrow. My experience with techies, and I work with a lot of them, is that they hate the idea of going into a store to look at computer hardware.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 10, 2007 -> 12:27 PM)
Nowadays, you order it today, you get it tomorrow. My experience with techies, and I work with a lot of them, is that they hate the idea of going into a store to look at computer hardware.

There's also just no way for a brick-and-mortar outlet to have all of the bajillion various doodads and dongles that the random nerd off the street might come in looking for. There's just no way for any physical superstore to compete with the vastness teh Internets.

This was inevitable.

I wouldn't go that far. People getting their computers fixed usually want them back ASAP. Ordering online only delays the process with shipping.