Retail Stores, What Survives?

Texsox

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 10, 2007 -> 12:45 PM)
What kinds of stores will fall at the blade of the internet and which will survive.

I'm thinking three stores will probably always be around on a local basis, grocery, clothing, and building supplies.

I think book stores will always survive. Well, I think Borders or Barnes And Noble will. I don't know why...

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 10, 2007 -> 12:45 PM)
What kinds of stores will fall at the blade of the internet and which will survive.

I'm thinking three stores will probably always be around on a local basis, grocery, clothing, and building supplies.

What about when "Catch all" stores like Walmart knock those out of business? The internet and "combination" stores do a lot of damage

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Dec 10, 2007 -> 01:13 PM)
What about when "Catch all" stores like Walmart knock those out of business? The internet and "combination" stores do a lot of damage

I guess I considered WalMart in the grocery and clothing store category. Their electronics department, by contrast, may be much smaller.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Dec 10, 2007 -> 01:26 PM)
I think that crafting stores (JoAnn's, etc) will also survive because no one wants to order a lot of that stuff online (particularly for clothing and home decorating) because you have no idea of true color.

I forgot about them, if Hobby Lobby closed, I'd be really sad. And, just an observation, the most beautiful women shop at craft stores. You know, just sayin'.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 10, 2007 -> 02:07 PM)
I guess I considered WalMart in the grocery and clothing store category. Their electronics department, by contrast, may be much smaller.

then I guess I am a little confused by your definition of local in this conversation. Local as in Mom n pop stores? Or local as in: Jewel is local where I live, and is still a "national" grocery store, but you cannot find Jewel in Texas as the local grocery store because of (insert store name, Dominicks, Schnucks, Kroger, Cash n Carry, Rite Aid, Publix)

I consider Walmart to be in the national category, never the local category.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Dec 10, 2007 -> 02:12 PM)
then I guess I am a little confused by your definition of local in this conversation. Local as in Mom n pop stores? Or local as in: Jewel is local where I live, and is still a "national" grocery store, but you cannot find Jewel in Texas as the local grocery store because of (insert store name, Dominicks, Schnucks, Kroger, Cash n Carry, Rite Aid, Publix)

I consider Walmart to be in the national category, never the local category.

I meant as in being able to walk in and buy stuff. The thought came out of the CompUSA thread when several figured those types of stores will get crushed by internet suppliers.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 10, 2007 -> 03:08 PM)
I forgot about them, if Hobby Lobby closed, I'd be really sad. And, just an observation, the most beautiful women shop at craft stores. You know, just sayin'.

The most beautiful women WORK there. :)

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Dec 10, 2007 -> 02:31 PM)
Lol, I worked at a Michaels arts and crafts store.... and I have no clue what you two are talking about.

Good classes over there. Come on, you have to have some beautiful women walking in?!

Clothing and shoes will always do well in brick and mortar - online only works so well for fitting.

Also anything that tends to be bought with a need for expertise. For example, Tex, if some guy decided he wanted to start backpacking, he's probably going to want to go to REI or something to ask some advice.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 10, 2007 -> 02:52 PM)
Clothing and shoes will always do well in brick and mortar - online only works so well for fitting.

Also anything that tends to be bought with a need for expertise. For example, Tex, if some guy decided he wanted to start backpacking, he's probably going to want to go to REI or something to ask some advice.

And the clerks at REI will tell you a lot of people will ask questions, try on, set up, aply and then walk out, log on, and buy on-line. There was a very cantankerous argument at backpacker.com's about that subject. Some said if you ain't gonna buy, never walk in and bother the clerks. Others, myself included, said walk in and at least give them a chance to sell you something. Maybe you'll buy the sleeping bag at campmore, but you may buy some other stuff at their store.