Fukudome to the Cubs

Balta1701

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 09:45 PM)
Rowand will get more than that, and Fuku will likely put up a VORP just as good, if not better.

And you are basing this on what? How do you know what kind of player this guy is gonna be. He is a total gamble. And for 13 mil a year, I'm glad we passed on him. Now if he tirns out to be another Ichiro, then I will have no problem saying I was wrong. But I would rather have Rowand at 5/70 than this guy.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 03:51 AM)
Great ... then why don't you just say that, instead of all your cloak-and-dagger BS about how you'll tell the board why he'd sign with the Cubs after he signs? Who cares what you told another poster. Why don't you be more forthcoming instead of all your hide behind the curtain BS? (speaking for several board members who PM me when I stand up to your cloak and dagger crap). It's a message board. Cut the "I told you so" crap. No one's impressed.

Please tell the board what the Mitchell report will say and how it will affect the White Sox. You have been tip toeing around it for months now. Come clean, tell us what your Baseball America brother has to say about it.

To the board ... pardon my bluntness. To fathom, cut the cloak and dagger crap ... if you're going to post, spill and stop worrying about covering your ass.

We're not allowed to speculate on players who did steroids. That was established a long time ago on here.

KW failed last offseason, he failed last season, and he's doing awful so far this season. Can't we promote him to some higher position, and let someone else take over? Something that's killed us in our trade chances this offseason is how bad all the young arms we acquired last year have been.

Please tell the class which position he should be promoted to. Also please tell the class who should take over.

If you say Rick Hahn, please tell the class, in detail, why Hahn would be better.

QUOTE(frankie5angels @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 03:54 AM)
And you are basing this on what? How do you know what kind of player this guy is gonna be. He is a total gamble. And for 13 mil a year, I'm glad we passed on him. Now if he tirns out to be another Ichiro, then I will have no problem saying I was wrong. But I would rather have Rowand at 5/70 than this guy.

To be honest, it has little to do with my opinion on Fuku, and more to do about how I think Rowand is an average player.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 03:54 AM)
Please tell the class which position he should be promoted to. Also please tell the class who should take over.

If you say Rick Hahn, please tell the class, in detail, why Hahn would be better.

Not Rick Hahn. As much as I like him, I think the entire front office needs some fresh voices. I've long been of the opinion that Steve Stone would end up working with the Sox front office, but I don't know how the timing of that would work out.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 02:51 PM)
KW failed last offseason, he failed last season, and he's doing awful so far this season. Can't we promote him to some higher position, and let someone else take over? Something that's killed us in our trade chances this offseason is how bad all the young arms we acquired last year have been.

Right now I'd call the Garcia trade an easy win for us. Gio's value has risen, and Floyd built up a little momentum in his last 6 starts, and can hopefully carry that onto 2008.

The other big trade, B-Mac for Danks and Masset, well obviously the results didn't go our way in 2007 for that, but that deal wasn't made for the short - term, so it's on Danks to improve.

I doubt Masset's here when we start in 2008 though.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 09:56 PM)
Right now I'd call the Garcia trade an easy win for us. Gio's value has risen, and Floyd built up a little momentum in his last 6 starts, and can hopefully carry that onto 2008.

The other big trade, B-Mac for Danks and Masset, well obviously the results didn't go our way in 2007 for that, but that deal wasn't made for the short - term, so it's on Danks to improve.

I doubt Masset's here when we start in 2008 though.

Its true, but KW could have traded Garcia for me and it would have been a win.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 09:52 PM)
Since money's not an issue for them really, isn't he an upgrade over J. Jones? Don't forget that this also means they're likely going to have more prospects to be able to land Roberts, as MacPhail seems intent on finally helping the Cubs in his MLB career.

I have no idea if he is an upgrade over J.Jones. Neither should anyone else on here. The guy has never played in 1 game yet in the Big Leagues. Without J.Jones last year in the 2nd half the Cubs don't make the playoffs. So for anyone to suggest whether he is an upgrade over Jones, is totally just guessing. As for Roberts, if they get him, then hey they get him. It has no effect on me. I believe we are gonna stick with Richar, and I think they should. So if the Cubs acquire Roberts, more power to them. I am not worried about them. I am a Sox fan. I worry about what we do, not them.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 09:59 PM)
the failure of guys like Sisco, Masset, and Aardsma really hurt the pitching depth of this organization.

It will be interesting to see if KW still has any faith in any of them. I hope he keeps them all. He can't get anything for them, and if they come up big he can trade them next year, because chances are they will be awful again in 2009.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 10:03 PM)
Rosenthal said Sox are still keying on Rowand, and might offer 4 years with an option.

This reminds me of my head on car crash several years ago. A guy fell asleep at the wheel and nailed me hard. I saw it coming buy I had nowhere to go, it was like superslow motion and you knew what was going to happen.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 04:03 AM)
It will be interesting to see if KW still has any faith in any of them. I hope he keeps them all. He can't get anything for them, and if they come up big he can trade them next year, because chances are they will be awful again in 2009.

It's too bad we didn't have them pitch at the end of last season, in order to try and raise their value (you know, like how Aardsma teased KW at the end of 2006).

I was really hoping for Fuku. I thought, if he could handle CF defensively, he'd be a very good match for the team - better than many being discussed. And 4/50 seems reasonable to me, given the market.

Damn. The list keeps getting shorter. I guess we have to hope for Rowand, or a trade for Hamilton or some un-discussed CF now. Please no Pierre or Crisp, unless Crisp can be had in a steal.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 11:03 PM)
Rosenthal said Sox are still keying on Rowand, and might offer 4 years with an option.

For the right money, if the Sox get Rowand for 4 years, that's really not a bad result. Its a pretty huge improvement over last year.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 10:05 PM)
This reminds me of my head on car crash several years ago. A guy fell asleep at the wheel and nailed me hard. I saw it coming buy I had nowhere to go, it was like superslow motion and you knew what was going to happen.

Who do you and Fathom suggest they get to play center?? I am just curious. If KW would have signed Hunter to a 5/95 mil contract you guys would have b****ed about that. Saying he overpaid. If we would have given up the farm for Cabrera, I am sure you guys would have said we mortgaged the future for one guy. It's like KW can't win no matter what he does with you guys. I wouldn't mind having Rowand back. It will solidify centerfield for the next 5 years, and I believe last year was a breakout year for him, and he will continue to put up similar numbers.

Edited by frankie5angels

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 04:09 AM)
Don't like it, we saw this ride before.

I know Owens isn't the answer to anything, but I'd rather just see him.

Here's what I was talking about earlier with a friend: I don't want to see the Sox sign Rowand/Cameron, or trade for Pierre/Crisp. If they can't trade for someone like Josh Hamilton, then just go ahead and play Owens/Anderson in CF.

QUOTE(frankie5angels @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 04:10 AM)
Who do you and Fathom suggest they get to play center?? I am just curious. If KW would have signed Hunter to a 5/95 mil contract you guys would have b****ed about that. Saying he overpaid. If we would have given up the farm for Cabrera, I am sure you guys would have said we mortgaed the future for one guy. It's like KW can't win no matter what he does with you guys. I wouldn't mind having Rowand back. It will solidify centerfield for the next 5 years, and I believe last year was a breakout year for him, and he will continue to put up similar numbers.

Nice try, but I was on here when the Cabrera rumors hit stating that we should trade every member of our organization in order to get him.