Fukudome to the Cubs

Balta1701

QUOTE(frankie5angels @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 04:26 AM)
Wow. So you are giving up on the season before one pitch is even thrown? Wow. Let the first few months play out and see what happens. Why give up in the offseason, especially after the year most of our players just had. Their value isn't exactly high right now. Let's see how the first couple months play out, and see what happens.

The roster, as it's currently constructed, would likely get 5th place in the AL Central. Even Ozzie knows we need help.

Edited by fathom

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 11:25 PM)
Haha, KW should be fired on the spot then. He should make the Dodgers take Contreras for Pierre.

I'm one of KW's biggest defenders. But if we end up with Pierre, I will be pissed. That would be an absolutely useless move. The team would make no improvement, but take on a bunch of extra salary, and preclude some better possibilities (there are still a few out there).

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 10:11 PM)
Here's what I was talking about earlier with a friend: I don't want to see the Sox sign Rowand/Cameron, or trade for Pierre/Crisp. If they can't trade for someone like Josh Hamilton, then just go ahead and play Owens/Anderson in CF.

I agree 100%.

It's one thing to be bad when playing younger guys, at least you can see what you have. It's quite another to be bad and have lots of dollars tied up in these guys who aren't performing up to par.

Fukudome to the Cubs really surprised me since, IMO, he is overpaid for someone who hasn't played 1 game in the MLB yet and since the Cubs really don't have to history with Japanese players for as long as I can remember. The Sox had signed Gooch and Shingo in recent years.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 08:21 PM)
I would like them to rebuild. Trade Konerko, Dye, Buerhle, Contreras, Vazquez, Cabrera. Play for 3 years from now. It worked for Larry Himes in 1987. This was a horrible team last year. I can live with Owens in CF if they are rebuilding. If they are trying to win, they are kidding themselves if he's there everyday.

I look at last year sort of like I looked at CLE in '06. Everyone expected them to be great after making a run at the sox and winning 90+ in '05, but it was a down year for the whole team. At least that's what i'm hoping for. The Sox followed up two 90 win seasons with a dud. The key again will be pitching. As terrible as the offense was last season, the bullpen was a complete and utter disaster. Hang that one on kenny. The rest...?

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 11:27 PM)
The roster, as it's currently constructed, would likely get 5th place in the AL Central. Even Ozzie knows we need help.

Right now: 3rd or 4th.

If they can improve CF: solid for 3rd.

If they can do that and improve at least one SP slot: 3rd and in shooting distance of 2nd if either CLE or DET falters. Outside shot at a playoff spot.

QUOTE(jenks45monster @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 10:28 PM)
Fukudome to the Cubs really surprised me since, IMO, he is overpaid for someone who hasn't played 1 game in the MLB yet and since the Cubs really don't have to history with Japanese players for as long as I can remember. The Sox had signed Gooch and Shingo in recent years.

Sweet Lou had Ichiro, Sasuki and the reliever Hasagawa I think in Seattle. I bet he's a good selling point.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 10:27 PM)

I agree. we need a CF, and I think signing Rowand would help us big time. I am not sure why everyone seems to hate the idea of signing Rowand. If he can be signed for 4-5/60-70, then I would sign him. He would improve our team, and solidify that position. I would rather have Rownad than Fukodome anyday.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 04:30 AM)

If they can do that and improve at least one SP slot: 3rd and in shooting distance of 2nd if either CLE or DET falters. Outside shot at a playoff spot.

Twins still have Santana. With him, they're easily better than the Sox are right now. Hopefully they'll trade him and Nathan prior to the year.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 11:32 PM)
Twins still have Santana. With him, they're easily better than the Sox are right now. Hopefully they'll trade him and Nathan prior to the year.

Sorry, that's true - I am actually assuming Santana is gone. I guess its possible it stays.

I think without Santana, unless the return is amazing in CURRENT major league talent, I think the Twins are in a battle for last place. Heck even with Santana, I think that team has gone downhill this offseason thus far.

People say the AL Central is tough - and it is. But I think DET and CLE are in a whole different atmosphere than the other three teams. And if the last few moves go right, the Sox will be on top of the "other three" group - for whatever that is worth.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 03:23 PM)
Burke just sucks....he would get dominated having to face Johan, Liriano, C.C. on a weekly basis. The Pirates will want more for McLouth.

He also has very good splits against LHP. Also Liriano's coming back from major surgery and may never be the same again, and Johan may not even be in the AL Central in 2008.

Would be a good utility player to have at least.

As for McLouth, depends on the price, but with Bay rumored to be going for the likes of Lee and Shoppach, well that gives me a little hope.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 10:27 PM)

If the Sox add Rowand, it's probably still a 5th place team. But the upside is that the Sox wouldn't trade Gio for Pierre or Gio+Sweeney+who know what else for Crisp....

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 10:30 PM)

I'd probably open it up from anywhere 3rd to 5th no matter what we do the rest of the off-season, battling with KC and Minny for these spots. I think we'll make some sort of acquistion in CF, have an open battle for LF with Quentin the likely winner, and move Crede for a prospect (hopefully Uribe too, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him open the season here)....

I really don't see a serious starting pitching come here, maybe a non-roster invitee with some potential upside, but I really think that the Sox think that Floyd/Denks will be fine in the rotation (I don't).

QUOTE(jenks45monster @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 10:28 PM)

That type of stuff doesn't matter when we're talking about this amount of money. Cubs came in with the most, and got him.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 10:35 PM)
I'd probably open it up from anywhere 3rd to 5th no matter what we do the rest of the off-season, battling with KC and Minny for these spots. I think we'll make some sort of acquistion in CF, have an open battle for LF with Quentin the likely winner, and move Crede for a prospect (hopefully Uribe too, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him open the season here)....

I really don't see a serious starting pitching come here, maybe a non-roster invitee with some potential upside, but I really think that the Sox think that Floyd/Denks will be fine in the rotation (I don't).

Who cares what place you come in if you don't make the playoffs?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 10:34 PM)
If Liriano comes back anywhere near where he was, the Twins can still be pretty good.

I don't think he'll be near that level in Year 1 after that surgery, and if they trade Santana, that's clearly a youth movement preparing for the 2010 season in their new stadium.

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 10:36 PM)
That type of stuff doesn't matter when we're talking about this amount of money. Cubs came in with the most, and got him.

The money alone shocked me on this one though. As some other people said earlier they will probably regret this within the next 2 years.

QUOTE(frankie5angels @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 10:36 PM)
They'll regret it next year. If this was an elite Japanese player, the yankees or the red sox would have been all over this guy. They were never metioned to even have the slightest interst in him.

Because they are set in the OF, and are probably saving some room on the payroll for Santana.

QUOTE(frankie5angels @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 04:36 AM)
They'll regret it next year. If this was an elite Japanese player, the yankees or the red sox would have been all over this guy. They were never metioned to even have the slightest interst in him.

Yanks did have interest, but only if they traded Cabrera.

Phil Rogers (Chicago Tribune) says:

Terms of the deal were not immediately known, though it's believed to be $50-to-$56 million.

He didn't mention years, but that's probably 4 maybe, 5 years.

He did say the White Sox made an offer, but I'll just speculate that it was nowhere near this and probably in the 4-40 range.