Rowand signs with Giants

fathom

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 02:52 PM)
It's a blessing, it really is. I'm as negative as it gets, and this is a positive for the Sox.

I really think you are wrong there. This greatly increases the chance that the Sox trade for Crisp or Pierre or Bay (and put Quentin in AAA this year).

And the only thing the Sox have to trade are Fields, Gio and DLS...so I'd get ready to say goodbye to at least one of the Sox 3 top prospects if not more.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 03:02 PM)
I really think you are wrong there. This greatly increases the chance that the Sox trade for Crisp or Pierre or Bay (and put Quentin in AAA this year).

And the only thing the Sox have to trade are Fields, Gio and DLS...so I'd get ready to say goodbye to at least one of the Sox 3 top prospects if not more.

Yeah, I'm excited about overpaying with prospects for Bay. I mean, it'd be great to diversify our team by getting a slower guy who strikes out 140 times a year. We need more guys like that. Crisp, too. He's a grinder and such. Awesome.

and the offseason failure has gone full circle. not that i was desperate to get rowand, especially at the rate he was most certaintly going to go, but he was a target of the sox which means KW got no one he was after. Hopefully he can get creative with some trades or this could be the offseason that dooms the sox for years.

Really though, I dont mind this as much as we were led to believe we would have quality improvements, yet all we have is a rent a shortstop, another Luis Terrero, and 200 less innings in our rotation.

Williams has failed in every aspect, except overpaying. And for that, Reinsdorf is forever grateful.

QUOTE(soxfan3530 @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 03:06 PM)
and the offseason failure has gone full circle. not that i was desperate to get rowand, especially at the rate he was most certaintly going to go, but he was a target of the sox which means KW got no one he was after. Hopefully he can get creative with some trades or this could be the offseason that dooms the sox for years.

The trades that could be forthcoming are what could "doom the Sox" for years...those are much more dangerous to the future than signing a free agent would have been.

the only good thing that comes from this is that we don't lose a draft pick. i guess our OF will consist of Quentin, Owens, and Dye. No wonder Jermaine was not too happy with KW. it's like Williams wants to compete but the reality of the situation is we are rebuilding.

QUOTE(DonnyDevito @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 01:05 PM)
Are you thankful because you prefer to see Owens everyday in CF?

Compared to giving Rowand 5/$60 or whatever he got, yes, I'd much rather have Owens in CF. And unless you think that this team was 1 piece away from the playoffs next year, and you're willing to gamble on paying a guy $13 mil a year and wind up having him put up his classic .270 BA and .750 OPS for those numbers like he has done in most of his non-contract seasons, so should you.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 03:09 PM)
Hm. I was thinking, and hoping, he'd come here. But if its 5 years and huge money, maybe its best this way.

Kenny, I'm hoping you can pull off something for Hamilton or Ramirez in CF. Or something no one has thought of. And please for the love of Mary, do not trade for Pierre.

agreed. no crisp either! :pray

QUOTE(DaGame2584 @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 03:16 PM)
I heard he got 5 years @ 80 million. THAT'S CRAZY! Good for Aaron bad for the Giants & the rest of baseball. That will only drive up prices even more.

Try 5, $60.

And this really should be in Diamond Club with the rest of the Rowand stuff.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 01:11 PM)
5 year, $60 million deal.

I never thought I'd see the day Rowand signed for $60 million. But if any team is that foolish, it's the Giants. Enjoy the .270, 15 homers, 60 rbi for that SF.

Given today's market that is a cheap contract, imo.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 01:20 PM)
Can you name a team that has won the World Series recently based mostly on guys it picked up in FA at nearly full price?

The White Sox won the world series in part because of FA acquisitions Tadahito Iguchi & AJ Pyrzinski (though not quite the magnitude of the money you are talking about)

Red Sox won the world series because they made major splashses (both in FA and the Trade Market). You can say JD Drew/Lugo were busts, but they also gave Daiske tons of money as well and I don't think they win without those guys (maybe without Lugo but Drew ended up helping them in the playoffs and Daiske was quite solid in the regular season helping them get home field advantage throughout). The Red Sox also got Lowell because they were willing to take on his contract (in order to get Beckett of course). The White Sox probably couldn't have made that move.

St. Louis is a bad example because they really haven't been too big on the FA market the past couple years, primarily because they've resigned most of their guys. However, they haven't exactly developed most of their starters (and the Eckstein signing helped them win the World Series).

Bottom line I think every good team has at least a few key pieces that were picked up in FA. I'm not saying you bring you hole club from FA, but you probably need to use it to fill some holes.

QUOTE(G&T @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 03:55 PM)
How bout we wait to see the numbers before more complaining?

Meanwhile, I'm suprised the Sox didn't up their bid. Not that Rowand is what this team needs.

I don't care about money, I care about winning. Kenny is sitting on money and isn't doing s*** about it. I am tired of losing out on player after player after player.