So now what?

soxfan3530

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 04:31 PM)
The question is who will they get to play the OF in the future? It doesn't look like prices are going to come down anytime soon.

Hopefully somebody on the right side of 30. They're going to have to develop young OFs, just like they did back in the mid/late '90s. I get the feeling that Kenny was blowing smoke up our arses when he said that Fields will not play LF next year. He might not have much of a choice now.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

How about we let the kids play in CF if we cant improve it

I agree.

Owens isn't that bad. If our veterans want to taste the postseason again, they should

lead and kick some ass and make sure Owens and Fields and Richar contribute.

We won't do squat if Owens, Richar and Fields suck.

We have some stud veterans (though they are all plodders) who if they have huge

years can win us some games.

If they return to the live ball, we'll be even better shape.

Please don't flame on me, remember it's the holiday season, but how bout we sign

Josh Fogg as a middle reliever or No. 5 starter. To me, it's a no brainer. Isn't he a free agent?

QUOTE(greg775 @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 04:59 PM)
Owens isn't that bad

I'm not holding my breath, but I think that Owens has some serious potential. Even with his lack of power, he's a legitimate leadoff hitter if he can get his OBP up to the .360 range.

So let me get this straight. You people who are b****ing thought that we were going to sign rowand, and he was going to be the difference between 4th place and a contending team? When did the intelligence level of this board drop off so suddenly?

I am sorry, but you'll have to forgive me for wanting some good players on this team. If I even hear Andy Gonzalez's name next year, much less hear Hawk try to say good stuff about him, I'm gonna go apes***.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 07:23 PM)
You see, he was even more valuable than I thought.

So out of his 11 RBI's, which one was your favorite??

Definitely #9 it came in the 9th inning of a loss July loss to the Orioles but the single which plated that run lifted his career OPS to an all time high of .717 and would be one of 3 RBIs he'd manage in the final 136 PA of his major league career.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 07:07 PM)
So when does Williams say something? I know he said he was going to chance his stance with the media after the meetings, but I would think he has to make some sort of statement in the near future. Right?

I was listening to B&B (or was it MJH?) on my way home this evening and they made the comment that KW can't resist picking a fight and this is the perfect opportunity for him. I suspect it is only a few days before KW tells how stupid we all are and we should be happy with wha thwe have (a 4th place team).

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 05:46 PM)
It is December 12, 2007. Calm down. The White Sox had Hunter and he signed with someone else because they offered him 3 million more per year. I don't want him at that price. I would be embarrassed that we overpaid by that much. The White Sox didn't want Rowand for 5 years because they know he isn't that good and he won't be that good in 2012. I didn't want him anyway. I didn't want him anyway. I don't think he makes this team better. He is not a good fit. Fukudome didn't want to come here because he didn't want to push Jermaine Dye out and the White Sox know he can't play CF. Again, not a good fit. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too. It is December 12, 2007. Calm down.

It stops being "overpaid" when everyone on the market gets big money. Then it just becomes "market value" and you either pay it or fight to stay out of the cellar.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 08:28 PM)
Definitely #9 it came in the 9th inning of a loss July loss to the Orioles but the single which plated that run lifted his career OPS to an all time high of .717 and would be one of 3 RBIs he'd manage in the final 136 PA of his major league career.

That guy got more than 100 ABs??? Im a little off on how much PT he got because I live out in Michigan and only see em on WGN when I know they are playin, but that is rediculous, I might as well have gotten the ABs :lolhitting . Its a frickin disgrace taht he played so much and was kept on the 40 roster so long, why didnt we keep Hernandez instead?? Atleast he has a little trade value

Rotoworld makes it sound like Crede was tendered an offer.

White Sox non-tendered infielder Andy Gonzalez and LHP Heath Phillips.

Joe Crede keeps his spot. The White Sox previously jettisoned two of the their three arbitration-eligible players in Luis Terrero and Alex Cintron. Both Gonzalez and Phillips made their major league debuts last season, with Gonzalez hitting 185/.280/.249 in 189 at-bats. Phillips had already been designated for assignment.

Nothing on the Sox's official site.

The Gonzalez and Phillips Non-Tenderings are official.

White Sox do not tender 2008 contracts to Andy Gonzalez, Heath Phillips

12/12/2007 7:42 PM ET

MLB.com

CHICAGO -- The Chicago White Sox have declined to tender 2008 contracts to infielder Andy Gonzalez and left-handed pitcher Heath Phillips.

Gonzalez, who turns 26 on December 15, batted .185 (35-189) with two home runs and 11 RBI in 67 games as a rookie with the White Sox in 2007. He also hit .242 (30-124) with three homers and 17 RBI in 35 games with Class AAA Charlotte last season.

Phillips, 26, was designated for assignment by the White Sox on December 3. He went 13-7 with a 4.30 ERA (83 ER/173.2 IP) and 108 strikeouts in 28 starts with Class AAA Charlotte in 2007. Phillips also made six relief appearances with the White Sox in September, going 1-1 with a 3.68 ERA (3 ER/7.1 IP).

Third baseman Joe Crede remains the club's sole arbitration-eligible player. The White Sox 40-man roster is at 39.

Please no one say it's still early.

Who is still out there? KW has f'd this thing up royally.

How many years in mid-April when the Sox were in the midst of a losing streak did I hear it's early? Or mid-May, or mid-June. Every day matters.

KW has some serious explaining to do.

We're out of the race in December. KW should be embarassed.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 07:50 PM)
Please no one say it's still early.

Who is still out there? KW has f'd this thing up royally.

How many years in mid-April when the Sox were in the midst of a losing streak did I hear it's early? Or mid-May, or mid-June. Every day matters.

KW has some serious explaining to do.

We're out of the race in December. KW should be embarassed.

The race hasn't started yet, yet were out of it? I really don't understand the mentality of well over half of this board. Are people really this negative? Why?

QUOTE(max power @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 07:52 PM)
The race hasn't started yet, yet were out of it? I really don't understand the mentality of well over half of this board. Are people really this negative? Why?

There are very big question marks in 3 or 4 spots in the rotation, the entire bullpen outside of Jenks and maybe Linebrink, and about half the lineup. Combine that with the fact that this team was lucky to only lose 90 games last season AND the two best teams in the division upgraded, things don't look so rosy to some people.