So now what?

soxfan3530

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 07:57 PM)
There are very big question marks in 3 or 4 spots in the rotation, the entire bullpen outside of Jenks and maybe Linebrink, and about half the lineup. Combine that with the fact that this team was lucky to only lose 90 games last season AND the two best teams in the division upgraded, things don't look so rosy to some people.

I can understand why someone would have a negative outlook on the teams chances. There is a huge difference between that and not even giving the team a chance. Also-The off season isn't over. We haven't played a single game, not even spring training.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 08:46 PM)
Let me guess, there's a least one poster here that "freaking loves" him and would play him over Crede.

I wouldnt say I love him, actually I have only heard that he is a talented player who hasnt proved squat, jsut thought that it was interesting that he is available and could be potentially a good pickup, maybe on a minor league deal if he cant get a MLB contract from someone. Plus I was thinking a bit if we do trade PK, then he may be able to compete for a job at 1B, I dont know about his defensive skillset...

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 08:54 PM)
Would have been nice to get rid of our garbage before the rule 5 draft.

Exactly...

Also from RotoWorld

Jason Tyner-OF- Twins Dec. 12 - 6:04 pm et

Twins non-tendered outfielder Jason Tyner.

He's the only player the team is letting go. Tyner likely would have made less than $1 million in his first year of arbitration eligibility, but the Twins still didn't want him back. They could always change their minds later if they end up with a right-handed-hitting starting center fielder. Tyner hit .286/.331/.355 in 304 at-bats last season.

Hmmm...

A couple of points, taking into account that the White Sox stated goal is to win the 2008 Championship.

1) Torii Hunter and Aaron Rowand were overpaid in free agency. Long-term, 3 or 4 years down the road, I'm extremely happy we won't have those players huge salaries on our budget. Saying that, if they are going to pursue premium free agents, don't you have to overpay, and sometimes go overboard if necessary to land your target ?? As much as some of us think a guy like Rowand is being way overpaid, and as much as that may be correct, isn't Kenny Williams going to be left holding his #### by his unwillingness to make the plunge ?

2) How flexible is Kenny Williams ? If you can't land a premium CF/OF (Hunter, Cabrera, Rowand, Fukadome) in free agency or trade why not just give your young CF, Jerry Owens, a chance in 2008 and focus your attention elsewhere to improve the club ? Is Juan Pierre and his $9 million salary for the next 4 seasons or Coco Crisp for a top prospect(s) really that much of an upgrade considering the money/prospects you are adding to your payroll ? Why not look for a lead-off hitter at another position, say Brian Roberts via trade ? Why not look to add another top of the rotation starter so that your offense doesn't have to be a dynamic scoring machine ? I realize that Williams/Guillen are extremely confident in the abilities of Floyd and Denks, but I believe we're much more likely to suffer through their growing pains than win a division with them, at least while they are young and inexpereinced. A rotation starting with Buerhle, Vazquez and Bedard/Haren looks pretty tough to beat.

3) Back to the OF position, where I still believe 2 spots are in question - LF/CF. As much as I was against the idea of adding a veteran player, wouldn't it be smart to add somebody like a Mench/L.Gonzalez (1 year deals) if they do end up going with an inexperienced OF, not as a crutch, but as insurance for SOME production in the OF should the younger players struggle ?

QUOTE(joeynach @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 03:43 PM)
Time to play the kids. Trade Crede now and bring in some prospects. Let Fields play everyday at 3B and develop. Let Richar play everyday at 2B and develop. Let Quentin/Sweeney play everyday in LF and develop, let Owen/Anderson play everyday in CF and develop.

I would like to send this post as a reply to the many posts that I have seen like this one. No offense, but people wake up! I keep reading comments about Owens, Quentin, Richar, et. al. These guys are all, so far, underachieving major leaguers and/or overachieving minor leaguers. What has anyone seen so far that makes you think that any of these guys will ever be any good? Was it their below .240 batting averages or their low on base percentages? Maybe it was Richar's lack of range at 2B? Maybe Quentin was a steal, but mabye he is another Luis Terrerro. This is Chicago, not Kansas City. We shouldn't have to suffer and pay good money to watch marginal players, that no one else wants, try to develop in the major leagues. Always the bridesmaid, never the bride. I love the Sox and even like Kenny, but this story is getting old. We are always in the running for everyone (supposedly), but never get anyone. The Bulls tend to follow a similar path (i.e., close to getting Kobe). So, maybe it is a Reinsdorf thing and not a Kenny thing. Like many of you, I am devoted to this team and have spent a lot of money following them. I will continue to do so, win or lose. But, after '05, and the attendance boom that followed, I thought we were on the verge of being a perennial condenter, not a perennial pretender. Kenny, please tell us there is a plan to fix this. Enough talking, boasting, and posturing; it is time for action.

QUOTE(Want2Repeat @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 10:23 PM)
I would like to send this post as a reply to the many posts that I have seen like this one. No offense, but people wake up! I keep reading comments about Owens, Quentin, Richar, et. al. These guys are all, so far, underachieving major leaguers and/or overachieving minor leaguers. What has anyone seen so far that makes you think that any of these guys will ever be any good? Was it their below .240 batting averages or their low on base percentages? Maybe it was Richar's lack of range at 2B? Maybe Quentin was a steal, but mabye he is another Luis Terrerro. This is Chicago, not Kansas City. We shouldn't have to suffer and pay good money to watch marginal players, that no one else wants, try to develop in the major leagues. Always the bridesmaid, never the bride. I love the Sox and even like Kenny, but this story is getting old. We are always in the running for everyone (supposedly), but never get anyone. The Bulls tend to follow a similar path (i.e., close to getting Kobe). So, maybe it is a Reinsdorf thing and not a Kenny thing. Like many of you, I am devoted to this team and have spent a lot of money following them. I will continue to do so, win or lose. But, after '05, and the attendance boom that followed, I thought we were on the verge of being a perennial condenter, not a perennial pretender. Kenny, please tell us there is a plan to fix this. Enough talking, boasting, and posturing; it is time for action.

Gotta love prospects!

I like good prospects, our ones at the big league level just seem ok because the rest of ours are so awful. For $5.50 a beer and a fairly packed house most nights the Sox need to either give us free agents or spend money to get the best draft picks possible. Why we pay $20 to park our F'n cars and then pass on Rich Porcello in the draft is beyond me