Someone want remind KW of 2009

joeynach

I dont get all this go for it all in 2008 business from KW. If anyone bothered to look at the landscape of the division they can see that 2009 would present a good case for the "go all out" philosophy. After the 2008 season the three top left handers are all free agents; Santana, Sabathia, and Rogers. The best closer in the divison, Joe Nathan, is also a free agent. Edgar Renteria is a possible Free Agent, Todd Jones will be a free agent, Ivan Rodriguez will be a free agent, Paul Byrd will be a free agent, Joe Borowski will be a free agent. The point is why 2008 when 2009 looks so much more winnable by landscape. There could be a lot of good players leaving the AL Central by 09. Seems to me like it would make sense to build for 2009-2010 as "our time". I think 2008 has already been decided for us by the way the FA and trade market played out. Whats so bad about trading Crede and getting prospects, playing Fields at 3B everyday, Quentin/Sweeney in LF, Owens/Anderson in CF, and Richar at 2B, Floyd/Danks/Broadway in the rotation. If they show a lot of promise over 2008 then in the offseason we can re-evaulate and decide if we should trade them to bring in some impact players, keep them, add FA's, etc etc.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 04:02 PM)
Considering our attendance directly impacts our payroll, if we go young and completely suck, season tix sales will go down, and we'll never be able to afford any of those guys.

Thats where having a fiscally responsibly organization comes into play. Where if they have to go young one year they can absorb that impact from either cash on hand or operating profit from years past. Plus aren't teams getting like $20 extra Mil a year now from MLB.TV and such. I still believe this team could do some new marketing and sponsorship deals for 2009 to help offset lost 2008 season tix as well. Its not a black and white are you are making it out to be.