White Sox running out of good options

spiderman

White Sox running out of good options

Rowand, Fukudome latest to spurn team's solid offers

Chicago Tribune Link

After watching the latest outfield debacle unfold, the White Sox might consider Ken Berry, Rick Reichardt or Ken Henderson.

Heck, Chet Lemon looked very athletic at January's SoxFest.

As creative as the Sox thought they were after getting $1.5 million from the Los Angeles Angels that was applied toward signing free agent reliever Scott Linebrink, they may be forced to stretch their minds further after Kosuke Fukudome took less money to sign with the rival Cubs and Aaron Rowand received a fifth year and $60 million to join the Giants.

"When you finish in last place, you better be open-minded," San Francisco general manager Brian Sabean said during a conference call of his willingness to listen to offers for rookie pitching phenom Tim Lincecum before keeping him after signing Rowand.

The Sox lost 90 games last year, but manager Ozzie Guillen has said repeatedly that second place feels as bad as last if you don't make the playoffs. If the Sox maintain their pledge to contend in 2008, radical moves should be considered after they lost out on center fielder Torii Hunter (Angels) and watched slugging third baseman Miguel Cabrera head to division rival Detroit.

The Sox were expected to tender third baseman Joe Crede a contract by Wednesday night's deadline for arbitration-eligible players. They also made room on their 40-man roster by non-tendering infielder Andy Gonzalez.

Crede, who can become a free agent after 2008, makes the most sense for the Sox to trade for an outfielder. But the Sox could listen to offers for first baseman Paul Konerko, who might bring the most value.

Konerko, a staple of the Sox offense, will receive full no-trade rights in May by virtue of playing in the majors for at least 10 seasons, including the last five with the Sox.

It shouldn't come down to that, but the failure to sign an outfielder, lack of depth in the farm system and a plethora of limited and full no-trade clauses limits flexibility to upgrade the roster.

Of the remaining free agent center fielders, Mike Cameron will start the season serving a 25-game suspension for his second violation for testing positive for a stimulant. Cameron's 160 strikeouts and .328 on-base percentage don't mesh with the Sox's emphasis on working deep into counts and reaching base.

Boston's Coco Crisp remains harnessed while the Red Sox try to strike a deal for Minnesota's two-time Cy Young Award winner Johan Santana.

The free agent center field sweepstakes were a colossal bust for the Sox, from Hunter to Fukudome, who was offered $50 million ($2 million more than what he agreed to with the Cubs) over four years from the Sox.

Fukudome wanted to play right field (a position Jermaine Dye occupies) and to become the first Japanese player on a major-league team. He also received an encouraging scouting report on Cubs manager Lou Piniella from former major-league pitcher Shigetoshi Hasegawa.

Rowand said the five-year condition the Sox wouldn't meet was important in his decision to play for the Giants, who employed scout and former Sox general manager Ron Schueler to recruit him.

"I've been traded ... [and] not had another contract option offered to me in the two places I've played," said Rowand, who likes the proximity of the Bay Area to his off-season home in Las Vegas.

"The goal of every player, not just myself, is to try to get into a place, long-term, where you can feel comfortable and know you have security, not bouncing around, but being able to get involved in the community. I [got] in the charities and [did] a lot of things in Chicago before I got traded."

Rowand, a Sox fan favorite who is coming off his best year, admitted it was difficult to separate his emotions before making his decision.

"I enjoyed my time in Chicago," he said. "And the fans were wonderful, and the same in Philadelphia (in 2006-07). The bottom line was ... I put myself in a situation where I thought I would be there long-term."

Sox GM Ken Williams, through a team executive, declined comment. Sox fans are waiting for a response—in the form of a surprising trade that once was Williams' forte—soon.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 10:25 PM)
I take it that's our new emphasis on working counts and getting on base? Otherwise the whole Juan Uribe era has been puuzzling

Is that code for inexpensive players or a slogan like 'we may not have the names, but we'll outwork you'.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 10:27 PM)
Is that code for inexpensive players or a slogan like 'we may not have the names, but we'll outwork you'.

At this point I'm leery of any spin they put out there. No offense to some around here, but many overbought into the "grinder" garbage that came out in 06 and 07. I wonder if they will go back to that well once more

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 10:30 PM)
At this point I'm leery of any spin they put out there. No offense to some around here, but many overbought into the "grinder" garbage that came out in 06 and 07. I wonder if they will go back to that well once more

There will be plenty of grinderness on the 2008 roster. KW called Quentin a grinder.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 10:30 PM)

That's the impression I'm getting as well, no all-stars, but those "grinders" could be KW's alternative plan.

QUOTE(BigEdWalsh @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 10:35 PM)
All I've got to say is it's pretty crappy being a White Sox fan these days. A feeble :gosox2: .

Just figured out the off-season strategy....

I think Kenny's strategy was to get teams to overpay for all the "best" free agents, and then he can corner the market for all the left-overs!

That's the only mention of Cameron I'd seen -- he's really the only good CFer left, as he'll provide a league average bat and average-ish (maybe a little better) defense. He's also a fantastic baserunner. Lofton can't handle the position defensively anymore.

So basically, if they don't land Cameron I'd just rather see them go with an Anderson/Owens platoon.

And hey, if they landed Cameron I'd be probably as excited as you could possibly be for a season that will most likely end up in failure (failure in the sense that they're not *truly* rebuilding and they're not good enough to make the playoffs). I believe the Sox had four spots last season where they got replacement level production -- CF, LF, 3B and SS. Even getting average players in those spots -- which Cabrera, Fields and Quentin all figure to be, to some degree or another -- will be a huge boost.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 11:55 PM)
That's the only mention of Cameron I'd seen -- he's really the only good CFer left, as he'll provide a league average bat and average-ish (maybe a little better) defense. He's also a fantastic baserunner.

Cameron has better offensive career numbers than Hunter, same as Rowand. He'd do pretty well at Soxdome.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 11:32 PM)
There will be plenty of grinderness on the 2008 roster. KW called Quentin a grinder.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 11:35 PM)
That's the impression I'm getting as well, no all-stars, but those "grinders" could be KW's alternative plan.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 11:36 PM)
So he's a stud prospect and a grinder! We're going to love him !

You know, I wish that bit of advertising had never existed.