KW

Soxfest

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 11:39 PM)
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news...=.jsp&c_id=cws

If KW really thinks he accomplished 3/4 of his off season goals already his main goal must be 90 losses. :angry:

There is no reason to panic until Foghorn Leghorn starts to tell you how speed doesn't slump and that Jerry Owens is a young Juan Pierre.

For your amusement though, Santo was on WGN radio tonight and his insane ass is all over the Fukudome signing. Based on Youtube and what some fool told him, his arm is just as good if not better than Clemente. Thanks Santo, you typify their sillyness. The signs of "its going to happen" are going to be back.

I almost hope they make it to the world series, just so we can have the Tigers, Indians, Yankees, Red Sox, or Angels put a major league beatdown on them.

The White Sox will continue to look for a center field upgrade via the trade route, with Coco Crisp a possibility, hinging on Boston's ability to acquire Minnesota ace Johan Santana. Williams also cautioned that the White Sox are not in dire straits at this position, with Jerry Owens showing the ability to be a catalyst in the second half of last season.

Weeeeeee! Fantastic -- no mention of the more talented options of Brian Anderson and Ryan Sweeney. Nope, Jerry Owens, the catalyst who'll hit .270/.315/.330. But he'll steal bases and run fast -- boy will he run fast.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 11:51 PM)
Weeeeeee! Fantastic -- no mention of the more talented options of Brian Anderson and Ryan Sweeney. Nope, Jerry Owens, the catalyst who'll hit .270/.315/.330. But he'll steal bases and run fast -- boy will he run fast.

It's depressing to see how large Owens is and has apparently always been to the Sox 2008 plans. They have clearly pegged him as filling the "leadoff" position.

Did anyone catch the "We got Carlos Quentin!" triumphalism? This after Cowley says Fukudome would have been in LF if he signed. Which means Owens in CF and Quentin in AAA.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 11:51 PM)

The formula for leadoff hitter for the whitesox.

Bantam weight hitter

Track star

Speed doesnt slump

In the case of Fukudome, Williams understood that the White Sox made the highest offer among the interested teams. Fukudome simply wanted to be the first Japanese player for a particular franchise, an honor already belonging to Shingo Takatsu with the White Sox, and had a desire to stay in right field. Shigetoshi Hasegawa also gave Fukudome a strong recommendation for Cubs manager Lou Piniella from their days together in Seattle.

"Economics, at the end of the day, did not necessarily play a role in this," Fukudome's agent Joe Urbon said. "It's unfair to characterize the other Chicago team [the White Sox] as not putting its best foot forward, which they did, as did the San Diego Padres, as did a few other clubs."

"That was a choice," added Williams of Fukudome. "It was a position choice on his part and a desire to be the first Japanese player in franchise history and a chance to win a championship for that franchise. We've done it already."

Are you f***ing s***ting me? Fukudome took less money so he could be the first Japanese Cubs player?

Wow, just f***ing wow. I guess the mystique of Wrigleyville has made it as far as Japan.

Edited by Linnwood

So lets see, KW has a team that was 6 losses away from being the worst in baseball on the major league level. His farm system ranks next to last in baseball. He has the payroll up over $100 million, and he thinks the upgrade of Cabrera over Uribe, Quentin, Linebrink plus a CF like Crisp while taking away Garland from the rotation and putting Floyd and Danks in there for a full season will cure all that ails this team. He is arrogant I'll give him that. Probably not very smart either.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 13, 2007 -> 07:18 AM)
So lets see, KW has a team that was 6 losses away from being the worst in baseball on the major league level. His farm system ranks next to last in baseball. He has the payroll up over $100 million, and he thinks the upgrade of Cabrera over Uribe, Quentin, Linebrink plus a CF like Crisp while taking away Garland from the rotation and putting Floyd and Danks in there for a full season will cure all that ails this team. He is arrogant I'll give him that. Probably not very smart either.

Yeah, but they are going to try harder this year.

QUOTE(Linnwood @ Dec 13, 2007 -> 01:32 AM)
Are you f***ing s***ting me? Fukudome took less money so he could be the first Japanese Cubs player?

Wow, just f***ing wow. I guess the mystique of Wrigleyville has made it as far as Japan.

Oh come on. This board's negativity is getting more annoying by the post. Do you really need to inject f***ing bulls*** like this into something to be negative? There are plenty of real things for people like you to be negative about. Pretty soon I will have had enough of this place.

According to the article, he didn't target the cubs. He just wanted to be the first japanese player on the team he signed with AND a right fielder. Wrigleyville? He's probably never heard of it.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 13, 2007 -> 12:51 AM)

I would rather see Anderson or Sweeney over Owens. But I would rather see Owens over Coco Crisp or Juan Pierre. I can't see giving Gio or Fields for one of those bums. I really hope he is not stupid enough to do something like that. A couple of weeks ago KW said 3B had been decided and would be revealed shortly. It obviously wasn't fields because they tried to include him on cabrera. they previously said if they got Mcabrera they would use him in LF. So I think the plan was Crede at 3B, MCabrera in Lf, Owens in center. I just hope they don't trade fields because no one wants crede and they want a CF. I can see KW making a deal like Fields for Crisp and Craig Hansen.

What do people want him to say? Seriously. If he said, "Well, things haven't gone well and we will have trouble competing" many here would still be saying he should be fired because he's giving up. If people want to b**** about his moves then fine, but complaining about what he says to the media is ridiculous.

QUOTE(soxfaninpa @ Dec 13, 2007 -> 08:02 AM)
I would rather see Anderson or Sweeney over Owens. But I would rather see Owens over Coco Crisp or Juan Pierre. I can't see giving Gio or Fields for one of those bums. I really hope he is not stupid enough to do something like that. A couple of weeks ago KW said 3B had been decided and would be revealed shortly. It obviously wasn't fields because they tried to include him on cabrera. they previously said if they got Mcabrera they would use him in LF. So I think the plan was Crede at 3B, MCabrera in Lf, Owens in center. I just hope they don't trade fields because no one wants crede and they want a CF. I can see KW making a deal like Fields for Crisp and Craig Hansen.

I would agree with you but boston probably wouldn't want fields as a centerpiece. They already have two third basemen. Gio is more likely imo.

Edit: More likely as a mistake. I doubt kenny would give up much knowing that crisp will be a bit cheap.

Edited by max power

QUOTE(soxfaninpa @ Dec 13, 2007 -> 08:02 AM)
It obviously wasn't fields because they tried to include him on cabrera. they previously said if they got Mcabrera they would use him in LF. So I think the plan was Crede at 3B, MCabrera in Lf, Owens in center.

That's a good point. And the Dodgers have been looking for a 3B. Fields for Pierre+money could be a possibility then.

QUOTE(max power @ Dec 13, 2007 -> 08:12 AM)
I would agree with you but boston probably wouldn't want fields as a centerpiece. They already have two third basemen. Gio is more likely imo.

Edit: More likely as a mistake. I doubt kenny would give up much knowing that crisp will be a bit cheap.

Why will Crisp be cheap? BOS doesn't have to move him even if they keep Ellsbury. They wanted Laird + a top prospect from Texas for him. The thing that really hurts the Sox is that they only have a few prospects: Fields, Gio, DLS. A trade for Crisp would have to be built around one of those guys. Unless maybe they ship Quentin so they can have Crisp and Owens in the OF

Edited by hitlesswonder

Here we go again....

I really don't mind the second guessing and the criticism, but the "Kenny is stupid" nonsense is really ridiculous. Yeah, the Stanford guy that played the game, was director of the farm system, and now GM of several years is just plain "stupid." But we the message board posters, who have no clue what actually goes on other than what we read in the media are the "intelligent" ones. How absolutely ignorant.

As for Fields, Kenny will not trade him unless he gets a very significant piece in return. While he's shown he will trade anyone for what he feels is the right piece, he isn't going to deal away Fields, whom he views as a future all-star, for a marginal upgrade in Crisp. Sure, Fields was available for MCab. He would be available for a frontline pitcher. But he's not going to be available for Coco Crisp. We all know how badly Kenny wanted Scott Linebrink over the past two seasons. The Padres demanded Fields in return. The deal wasn't made. So I think it's clear it's not going to be made for Crisp.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 13, 2007 -> 08:38 AM)
Here we go again....

I really don't mind the second guessing and the criticism, but the "Kenny is stupid" nonsense is really ridiculous. Yeah, the Stanford guy that played the game, was director of the farm system, and now GM of several years is just plain "stupid." But we the message board posters, who have no clue what actually goes on other than what we read in the media are the "intelligent" ones. How absolutely ignorant.

As for Fields, Kenny will not trade him unless he gets a very significant piece in return. While he's shown he will trade anyone for what he feels is the right piece, he isn't going to deal away Fields, whom he views as a future all-star, for a marginal upgrade in Crisp. Sure, Fields was available for MCab. He would be available for a frontline pitcher. But he's not going to be available for Coco Crisp. We all know how badly Kenny wanted Scott Linebrink over the past two seasons. The Padres demanded Fields in return. The deal wasn't made. So I think it's clear it's not going to be made for Crisp.

Don't you know that there a bunch of baseball geniuses on here? Hell, just look at some of the trade proposals that fly around this site. That should tell you all you need to know.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 13, 2007 -> 07:18 AM)

Do you honestly believe that none of Dye, Konerko and Thome will hit above .274? They all had bad seasons last year if none of them rebound I don't care what he added in the offseason the team will be bad. If at least two of them do the team will be better than last year.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 13, 2007 -> 08:38 AM)
Here we go again....

Please don't use Kenny going to Stanford as evidence he is smart. He went to play sports. He didn't graduate and I think was only there for a year or so.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 13, 2007 -> 10:25 AM)
Please don't use Kenny going to Stanford as evidence he is smart. He went to play sports. He didn't graduate and I think was only there for a year or so.

I've always said this to my friends.

KW's immaturity shows how average his intelligence really is. He's no smarter than Joe Schmoe down the street.

I know a lot of brilliant people are arrogant, but KW doesn't fall under that category with me.

Edited by rockren

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 13, 2007 -> 11:25 AM)

Stanford is not UNLV. Even the athletes that go there are going to be non-stupid. Its an elite school, and even a ballplayer going there will have to be above average academically.