KW

Soxfest

QUOTE(rockren @ Dec 13, 2007 -> 10:27 AM)
I've always said this to my friends.

KW's immaturity shows how average his intelligence really is. He's no smarter than Joe Schmoe down the street.

I know a lot of brilliant people are arrogant, but KW doesn't fall under that category with me.

Actually, the behavior most people associate with "immaturity" can be a sign of intelligence not average intelligence. It comes from getting frustrated when other of less intelligence around you cannot understand or comprehend what you are saying or doing.

Not to say that KW is necessarily intelligent but your assumption that immaturity=average intelligence is inaccurrate.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 13, 2007 -> 10:27 AM)
Stanford is not UNLV. Even the athletes that go there are going to be non-stupid. Its an elite school, and even a ballplayer going there will have to be above average academically.

Just about every division 1 program in basketball and football has more than their fare share of not to bright guys no matter what the academic reputation of the institution.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 13, 2007 -> 10:25 AM)
Please don't use Kenny going to Stanford as evidence he is smart. He went to play sports. He didn't graduate and I think was only there for a year or so.

So now you are claiming he is not intelligent at all? Do you not believe he is articulate? Do you honestly believe JR hired him, as opposed to all the other former WS players, because he did not find him intelligent? I'm not going to go so far as to claim he is some sort of "genius," but he certainly appears to be far more intelligent than the average "jock" who attends a university on an athletic scholarship.

Additionally, he's spent 26 seasons in the baseball industry. How many have all of us spent? I doubt the entire collection of posters on this forum combined have spent 26 seasons in the baseball industry.

Again, I am not trying to stifle criticism or commentary. But to claim he is "not smart" is absolutely inaccurate.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Dec 13, 2007 -> 10:35 AM)
Actually, the behavior most people associate with "immaturity" can be a sign of intelligence not average intelligence. It comes from getting frustrated when other of less intelligence around you cannot understand or comprehend what you are saying or doing.

Not to say that KW is necessarily intelligent but your assumption that immaturity=average intelligence is inaccurrate.

So immature people are intelligent? Are you kidding me?

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 13, 2007 -> 10:43 AM)
Again, I am not trying to stifle criticism or commentary. But to claim he is "not smart" is absolutely inaccurate.

Do you remember the press conference after the Mike Sirotka trade? KW acted like a 6 year old.

QUOTE(rockren @ Dec 13, 2007 -> 10:46 AM)
Do you remember the press conference after the Mike Sirotka trade? KW acted like a 6 year old.

Can you imagine how many moments there would be of you appearing immature or silly if you were always being filmed?

I can only imagine, if I was to be filmed during many of the important moments of my life, how incredibly lame and stupid I would appear to be. How one appears on television has little to do with one's actual intelligence.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 13, 2007 -> 10:43 AM)
So now you are claiming he is not intelligent at all? Do you not believe he is articulate? Do you honestly believe JR hired him, as opposed to all the other former WS players, because he did not find him intelligent? I'm not going to go so far as to claim he is some sort of "genius," but he certainly appears to be far more intelligent than the average "jock" who attends a university on an athletic scholarship.

Additionally, he's spent 26 seasons in the baseball industry. How many have all of us spent? I doubt the entire collection of posters on this forum combined have spent 26 seasons in the baseball industry.

Just don't refer to him as "the Stanford guy" as evidence of immense intelligence. Maybe if he received a degree you may have a point.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 13, 2007 -> 10:53 AM)
Just don't refer to him as "the Stanford guy" as evidence of immense intelligence. Maybe if he received a degree you may have a point.

I'll refer to him as attending Stanford because as one previous poster pointed out, admission standards for athletes at Stanford, as well as some other universities (Ivy League schools, other California schools, Notre Dame, etc.,) are far more stringent than your run-of-the-mill public university. Obviously I am not privy to standardized test scores or anything, but when you hear the man speak, or read quotes in the paper, it is immediately apparent that he is an articulate, intelligent person.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 13, 2007 -> 10:53 AM)
Can you imagine how many moments there would be of you appearing immature or silly if you were always being filmed?

KW comes across as immature or silly just about once a year it seems. That whole negative rant on Frank was a joke.

QUOTE(rockren @ Dec 13, 2007 -> 11:02 AM)
KW comes across as immature or silly just about once a year it seems. That whole negative rant on Frank was a joke.

I would characterize him as extremely passionate about his job and our organization. I think it's a fresh approach, to be honest with you. When someone doesn't follow the ridiculous level of politcal correctness these days, it's often viewed as "immaturity." I happen to disagree with that assessment.

QUOTE(klaus kinski @ Dec 13, 2007 -> 11:12 AM)
Its quite possible to be intelligent and just not have people skills or negotiating skills. I believe thats what we have here

That could be. I just want to see KW come out and talk s*** about Billy Beane again.

He could answer in a PC about Beane-

"It'd be so easy I could crush him like an ant. Instead, I'll bide my time...oh what the hell! I'll just crush him like an ant."

QUOTE(klaus kinski @ Dec 13, 2007 -> 11:12 AM)
Its quite possible to be intelligent and just not have people skills or negotiating skills. I believe thats what we have here

Once again, I doubt he lacks negotiation skills. Everything we read about Kenny from other players and gm's paints him as a very intelligent, driven, decisive and passionate guy. Now obviously I recognize that his detractors are not as likely to make negative comments about him publicly (such as what was written in the book "Moneyball"), however, KW seems to be held in pretty high regard amongst his peers. And he does make more deals than most GM's, so it's difficult to say he lacks people skills or negotiating skills.

I think the fundamental flaw in the premise of this entire KW bashing lies in the fact that these major wholesale changes take time. And I know some are willing to be patient, as long as the process of making these changes begins now. However, I think (and believe Kenny thinks) it is only fair to give the core group of this team another chance at reaching the playoffs. 18 months ago, the overwhelming majority of posters at this forum were fairly delighted with Kenny's philosophy and direction. Then the performance of the players began to suddenly deteriorate to levels which were, for the most part, inexplicable. Suddenly, we have many revisionist historians here who claim Kenny was foolish to make the moves he made prior to the ASB in 06', and that this rapid deterioration in the team's performance was entirely forseeable. Well, go back and look at the threads and posts, folks. That just wasn't the case.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 09:43 PM)
There is no reason to panic until Foghorn Leghorn starts to tell you how speed doesn't slump and that Jerry Owens is a young Juan Pierre.

For your amusement though, Santo was on WGN radio tonight and his insane ass is all over the Fukudome signing. Based on Youtube and what some fool told him, his arm is just as good if not better than Clemente. Thanks Santo, you typify their sillyness. The signs of "its going to happen" are going to be back.

I almost hope they make it to the world series, just so we can have the Tigers, Indians, Yankees, Red Sox, or Angels put a major league beatdown on them.

did he really say that?

Do people expect him to say,

TOTALLY FICTIOUS POST BTW:

"We are hoping to trade Brian Roberts for Lance Broadway but the O's want Gio and although I do not think Gio will be productive at the MLB level I think we can fleece a team for a player better than Brian Roberts. You know, Brian Roberts is in the Mitchell Report as a possible steroid user which is funny because Frank Thomas isn't and I saw him and Konerko shoot up prior to the 2003 season with Magglio and Lee."

Come on.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 11:43 PM)
There is no reason to panic until Foghorn Leghorn starts to tell you how speed doesn't slump and that Jerry Owens is a young Juan Pierre.

For your amusement though, Santo was on WGN radio tonight and his insane ass is all over the Fukudome signing. Based on Youtube and what some fool told him, his arm is just as good if not better than Clemente. Thanks Santo, you typify their sillyness. The signs of "its going to happen" are going to be back.

I almost hope they make it to the world series, just so we can have the Tigers, Indians, Yankees, Red Sox, or Angels put a major league beatdown on them.

Did Santo also say that Fukudome's stats are eerily similar to those of a certain kaz Matsui over their japanese careers?

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 11:54 PM)
The fact that 25 percent of the offseason goal of a 90 loss, 4th place team with no farm system was getting Carlos Quentin tells you all you need to know about how stupid the guy running the show is.

It drastically increased the production in LF and the team OBP capability.

Here's the most important thing Kenny said, and this is something he has been saying since the all-star break in 2006.

"Lost in it all is the fact that we still have a nice balance with young guys combined with All-Star-type players. We still have a pretty darn good baseball team," Williams said

He honestly believes, despite the fact that they have been bad since the 2006 all star break that this team is still very good, and doesn't need an overhaul, just finetuning.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 13, 2007 -> 09:38 AM)
Here we go again....

I really don't mind the second guessing and the criticism, but the "Kenny is stupid" nonsense is really ridiculous. Yeah, the Stanford guy that played the game, was director of the farm system, and now GM of several years is just plain "stupid." But we the message board posters, who have no clue what actually goes on other than what we read in the media are the "intelligent" ones. How absolutely ignorant.

As for Fields, Kenny will not trade him unless he gets a very significant piece in return. While he's shown he will trade anyone for what he feels is the right piece, he isn't going to deal away Fields, whom he views as a future all-star, for a marginal upgrade in Crisp. Sure, Fields was available for MCab. He would be available for a frontline pitcher. But he's not going to be available for Coco Crisp. We all know how badly Kenny wanted Scott Linebrink over the past two seasons. The Padres demanded Fields in return. The deal wasn't made. So I think it's clear it's not going to be made for Crisp.

I don't think it's necessarily clear that he wouldn't be available for Crisp, or another OF acquistion. KW said 3B had been decided, right? After KW said 3B had been decided, he was ready to trade Fields for Cabrera. The reports which I read on the official site about a month ago said they would use Cabrera in LF. That would mean that Crede is the 3B by default, as Fields would no longer be on the team, Miggy would be in LF. It is possible the plan at 3B has changed, but I am not sold on the idea that Fields will not be traded for a piece that KW thinks could make us contend next year, which could be that speedy leadoff CF that I've read they need. I don't want to see Fields go, unless we were getting an elite player in return, but I cannot say with certainty that he is definitley in the Sox' plans for 2008. Also, I was using Fields as an example, and I really wouldn't want to see Gio, Egbert, or DLS go for a Crisp/Pierre type.